• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restaurant Suggestions at HHI

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
DH and I are going to HHI this July for our 20th wedding anniversary. :lovestruc I need suggestions for some good restaurants for a romantic dinner. I have to say we do not enjoy very formal atmospheres however. We like more casual, but maybe quiet with a romantic vibe. To me, formal is too stuffy to be romantic. Make sense??? :confused3

One more VERY important detail--DH is allergic to shellfish, so no strictly seafood restaurants will work.

TIA!

We've only been to HHI one time which was last August. We really enjoyed this restaurant :
http://www.seatrawlersc.com/

You mentioned a shellfish allergy your husband had----is he ok with regular fish like grouper, salmon and mahi mahi ? They also have ribeye, steak filet and chicken. If you're lucky and hit the restaurant at the right time you can see dolphin in the marsh from the restaurant windows---we asked for a window seat.

Maria

Here are a few nice places a short distance from the resort:

Red Fish
Alexanders
Cranes Tavern
Charlie's E'toille Verde
Eat
Jazz Corner

as well as the Old Fort Pub.

All of these have nice steaks (and fish) with a bit of atmosphere. Red Fish has a wonderful wine selection. Alexanders is on a quiet canal. Cranes Tavern has great steaks. Charlie's has a wooded view from most of the table in a very homey atmosphere. Eat is a tapas bar with lots of great items. Jazz Corner has live music along with a wonderful menu. I second the suggestion of the Old Fort Pub for a nice sunset dinne.r

As noted, HH is pretty casual destination and you wonn't feel any pressure to be formal at any of these places. There are about 300 restaurants on the island. I'd also suggest picking up a free copy of "Taste of Hilton Head" - I think they have these at the resort - with menu selections for many of the nicer places.

Enjoy! :)

We LOVE Dy's Gullah Fixins...so much so that my partner Lisa built her a website.

www.dyesgullahfixins.com

The food is incredible....some of the best fried chicken, mac and cheese, green beans, collards, sweet tea and cornbread ever! She does a buffet some days and you can order off the menu on other days. Everything is cooked from scratch each day and served fresh. In fact, the day that we were there for the lunch buffet the sweet potato pound cake was still warm from the oven when it was served.

Dye is a one woman dynamo...she does the cooking and on most days the serving as well. She also has a very successful catering business. Dye is also passionate about preserving the Gullah culture, and will tell you stories about her "comin' up" as she calls it and how she learned to cook from her mother, grandmother and great grandmother.

Dye does ask that you make reservations as she generally prepares only what she will need for the day. That in and of itself makes it somewhat difficult for her to accommodate walk ins.

We liked both types of meal...the menu as well as the buffet, but for first time visitors, go on a menu day. Portions are huge and you will not leave hungry.

Linda

I second the vote for Dye's -- not romantic tho. I dropped in for a late lunch and had a perfect crabcake sandwich, with sweet potato fries (out of this world) and excellent lemonade -- and had a nice chat with Dye because I was the lonely last lunch person. It's over near Tuesday Morning, and I think the Wachovia Bank (finding places on HH is challenging to say the least). She doesn't have hamburgers anymore (nobody ever ordered one).

(And I don't think it's just us western NCers' that love the place).

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of Old Fort Pub--I would love to have a sunset view over the water! :cloud9: I'm not too crazy about their menu though. We like rather standard dinners--steak and baked potato for DH and seafood platter or crab cakes for me.

Dye's Gullah is out because I definitely want the romance factor! After 20 years, we need all the help we can get!!! :rotfl:

Keep the suggestions coming, please!

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of Old Fort Pub--I would love to have a sunset view over the water! :cloud9: I'm not too crazy about their menu though. We like rather standard dinners--steak and baked potato for DH and seafood platter or crab cakes for me.

Dye's Gullah is out because I definitely want the romance factor! After 20 years, we need all the help we can get!!! :rotfl:

Keep the suggestions coming, please!

You might want to take a look at the Crane's Tavern menu.

Have fun deciding - there are lots of great romantic dining options at HH! :)

My vote is Sunset Grille.
This little place located in an RV park next to a boat dock and above a laundromat is excellent.
Super view of the setting sun. Quiet but casual. Full bar and the food is prepared with care.

My vote is Sunset Grille.
This little place located in an RV park next to a boat dock and above a laundromat is excellent.
Super view of the setting sun. Quiet but casual. Full bar and the food is prepared with care.
I was moving to the bottom to add that very suggestion. In addition to that and Doc's suggestions I'd add CQ's and Santa Fe, I think both are still going. One might also consider the Alligator Grill which one can get on restaurants.com many times. Last summer we ate there and it was one of the best meals we've ever had. I'd call it upscale casual. Somewhere you might go any time but also a good choice for such an occasion. I'd consider it comparable to Alexander's and Redfish but not as upscale as Charlie's, CQ or the Old Fort Pub. HH has a plethora of great restaurants, it's hard to go wrong.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I am really leaning toward Sunset Grille. I really want to see the sunset over the water. I also found a menu for it and it looks great. The problem is when I went to show my husband the menu, I couldn't find it again. Anyone know where I can find one?

Have been going to HHI for 25 years now...Crazy Crab is wonderful. There are two locations, Harbor Town and the original right as you get on the island. The original is much more quiet and we prefer that one. We also love Captain Woody's...a small quaint tavern-type restaurant that is at Palmetto Bay Marina.

Have been going to HHI for 25 years now...Crazy Crab is wonderful. There are two locations, Harbor Town and the original right as you get on the island. The original is much more quiet and we prefer that one. We also love Captain Woody's...a small quaint tavern-type restaurant that is at Palmetto Bay Marina.

:thumbsup2Another recommendation here for Captain Woody's. It was recommended to us by the front desk. We had no idea where we wanted to go for dinner one night, just knew we wanted to try somewhere new. The CM at the front desk suggested Captain Woody's and we loved it.

The problem with these is that they are strictly SEAFOOD restaurants. Since my husband has a shellfish allergy, we need to steer clear of those. We are looking for a quiet romantic restaurant that serves steaks and maybe some seafood (for me :love:).

I think you might be happy w/ the Sunset Grille. We haven't had dinner there, but we have eaten lunch, and it was good. The Grille looks out over basically the same water Charley's Crab and the Old Fort do, toward Pinckey Island and west. I also agree w/ the CQs recommendation - it's not on the water, but it is in Harbour Town and you could walk around the shops there before or after your meal.

The problem with these is that they are strictly SEAFOOD restaurants. Since my husband has a shellfish allergy, we need to steer clear of those. We are looking for a quiet romantic restaurant that serves steaks and maybe some seafood (for me :love:).

While both of these restaurants are primarily seafood, they do offer other options like prime rib and chicken options. Tons of good places to eat in HHI...you can't go wrong with most of them.

While both of these restaurants are primarily seafood, they do offer other options like prime rib and chicken options. Tons of good places to eat in HHI...you can't go wrong with most of them.

True, but the cross contamination is much more likely. We don't even go to our local Red Lobster. That's why I need suggestions of restaurants that aren't mostly seafood. That's a little harder in Hilton Head, I know.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I am really leaning toward Sunset Grille. I really want to see the sunset over the water. I also found a menu for it and it looks great. The problem is when I went to show my husband the menu, I couldn't find it again. Anyone know where I can find one?
I haven't seen a menu of the web for them. Another you might add is AQUA. I came across this looking for the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter