• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resorts when Universal Studios and Disney World in Same Vacation

DisneyFamily123

Use the Force, Luke!
Would you prefer to stay at a Universal Studios Resort, then move to a Disney Resort? Or Just stay at Disney the whole time and take a taxi/rental car to Universal for 1 or 2 days?

Option 1: Check in to US onsite hotel Jan. 19 for 3 nights (Sat, Sun, Mon), go to US Sun and Mon, check-into Disney Resort Tuesday for 6 or 7 nights. This would give us more time at US with less rush in the morning. Not sure if Sea World is worth fitting in during January... might save that for a future trip during a warmer month when more is going on at Sea World.

Option 2: Just stay at Disney hotel the whole time and take a taxi/rental car 2 days to US. This would probably save us a few bucks and not have the hassle of checking in-out between the two resorts.

I would stay at Universal a few nights, not only for the convenience of being onsite, but also because you get the Express Pass for free.

I would stay onsite at Universal, the unlimited express pass for hotel guests is worth the move. Also the extra hour into WWoHP makes a big difference.

I have done US then WDW and then the opposite WDW then US. You can rent a car from/drop off at the CCC or at the Dolphin from National super easy (discounted link on mousesavers.com)

I personally liked taking Magical express to WDW, then renting a car from the CCC/Dolphin and then driving to US and staying on site. It was easy to drive the car back to the airport at the end of the trip.

We really liked staying at HRH at US, you can walk to US in a couple of minutes.

If I was going to visit WDW and Universal parks during the same stay, I would prefer to stay onsite at Universal, and at the end of the trip.
Using FOTL/Express privs will make touring Universal parks much easier and leave plenty of time to r e la x, which is nice to do on vacation!

We've also done your option 2 and it worked great; we were up early and at Universal 1/2 hour before opening time so we experienced WoHP with small crowds.

As far as driving to get back to the airport - I've driven from WDW to MCO lots of times and know the route really well and the signs are good. Universal to MCO is not quite as straight forward - the roads are busier with lots more distractions. Usually my DH has been on those trips and he drove so I paid no attention. One time when it was just the kids and me I drove from RPH to MCO and had my kids reading me the directions from a tourist handout map - that wasn't so good but we did get to the airport on time!

We have stayed at Disney and driven to Universal before and in out upcoming trip we will be staying at Disney then checking into Universal. We rather not rush through the morning.

I'm not a fan of switching resorts, so I'd vote for taking a car or other transportation to Universal for one or two days.

On our last trip we did disney first for 10 nighrs and then universal for four nights. The year before that we did the opposite, universal first.

I actually enjoy the slower pace of universal with FOTL access (we go in the summer). The only very early day was WWoHP! So I liked doing Universal after disney in that sense.

You mentioned you are going in January. I'm not sure how much you would really need FOTL. The hour extra for WWoHP would be good though as an onsite guest.

I'm also not sure how you feel about Mears, but DH and DS took them one trip when they did a day at Universal in the middle of their disney trip. The cost was (at that time) $18 per person round trip. I think it is $19 now. There were alot of pick up and drop off times to choose from. During that trip they had an annual pass, so they didn't have to worry about tickets.

Universal actually has a deal where you can buy a ticket and get the transfer, but a travel agent has to do it for you. (Dreams could do it or any agent for that matter.). DS is going again this summer with another family and they did this for one day in the middle of the disney vacation. The transfer ended up being even cheaper. I'd even consider that for two days and then they don't have to be back to back days.

You'll have a good time no matter what you choose!

I love the front of line pass that Universal offers for it's onsite guests. For our Oct/Nov trips we are staying six nights at WDW, then two nights at Universal. Getting there early that first morning will give us three days at Universal with front of the line pass. I'd rather end the trip at Universal. Front of the line pass spoils you. Going to Universal first, then having to deal with lines at WDW would frustrate me.

I would switch resorts, but I would do Disney first, and Universal at the end of the trip. If you have FOTL passes at Universal, you will miss them when you go to Disney.

I have stayed on site at both resorts. I would stay at WDW first, then move to a US resort. The US resorts are much more "deluxe" than WDW resorts. You don't have to worry about ADR's at US, plus the FOTL pass for on site guests will totally spoil you. The US resorts pools are fabalous and you ARE allowed to pool hop!

We are doing what most have suggested in November this year. We are doing Disney first and then staying onsite at Universal. We are actually flying into Tampa vs Orlando so we will already have our rental car.

We are still debating whether to stay onsite at Disney or somewhere close like the Waldorf. I have got to make a decision soon :).

We just stayed at a Disney resort and drove a rental to Universal for three days. It was a pain! I would much prefer to stay onsite at Universal if only for the convenience. Plus you get the express privileges and early entry and the hotels are real nice.

We stayed on Universal property first a few days and then moved to Disney property. We loved the FOTL!! I wouldn't do it any other way!

In the past when I've gone with my parents we've gone to Disney first for like four or five days and then switched to Universal for two or three days (have stayed at the Italian-esque hotel and the beachier hotel). Both hotels were gorgeous and much nicer than the hotels we've stayed in at Disney (in fairness we stayed at mod resorts those trips).

This trip my DBf and I are staying at Disney and traveling to Universal via Mears two days of our eleven day vacation. I've never done this before so I hope it works out! Would love to stay onsite at Univeral, but the hotels are way outside our budget.

I would switch hotels. I am actually planning to do this myself. I did not want to rent a car and worry about parking or worry about taking a taxi...with the traveling time and coordinating when to get picked up. I was thinking of doing US first and then switching to WDW. Can anyone let me know why it is better to go to WDW and then switch to US, as many have suggested?

A lot would depend on where you're staying at WDW, what you're paying to stay there, and how cheaply you could get a US/IoA resort room.
I know that when my friend and I both had BWV studios a few years ago, we found a room at RPR, at US/IoA, for $150 a night. We split it, so only about $75 pp. We booked the Mears shuttle, and were picked up at 7:30. Got to US/IoA by 8ish, went directly to RPR, checked in, and then headed to the park..got in at about 8:40. Next day, we were in at 8!! Later that afternoon, we called Mears, set up our p/u time, and went back to BWV. We both kept our studios there. And since you can't bring luggage on the Mears shuttle, we just packed overnight essentials in our backpacks.

If you can't get a room fairly cheaply, or you're paying an arm and a leg to stay at WDW, I would just take the shuttle over.

We're staying at both WDW (Pop) and at Universal (HRH). This will be our 1st time at Universal and what sold us on staying onsite are the FREE Express pass and early entry into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I agree. The free Express Pass is a great plus!

By the way, would anyone know the best way to transfer hotels from US to WDW? I was trying to research this yesterday and it seems like everyone is going from WDW to US. Thanks.

I would switch resorts, but I would do Disney first, and Universal at the end of the trip. If you have FOTL passes at Universal, you will miss them when you go to Disney.

This:thumbsup2
But honestly we loved Portofino Bay so much, we are staying over at Unviersal and driving to Disney next trip.

We stayed at WDW the whole time and bought a two day park hopper and transportation through Mears for Universal.

We walked in both parks and didn't have a problem with any lines.

Granted we went mid September so I guess if you go at a busy time, the free fast pass might be a good idea.

We are staying at Universal first because we arrive on a Friday and thought Saturday would be the busiest day we are there. Hoping That would be the best use of the Express Pass. Plus I won't enjoy Disney if I am waiting to see Harry Potter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter