Resorts that have taken a down turn

OceanAnnie

I guess I have a thing against
Well, I'll start off with this: I have a thread about a bad experience with the GF involving someone coming into our locked room while our children slept (being watched by family in adjoining room). That by itself was a mystery and quite scary.

Now on to separate observations about the GF resort.

We have stayed at the GF for the last 3 visits at Disney. This particular visit, I noticed some things that didn't seem very "grand". We were located on the first floor near the exit. I thought it might be nice for a change. But upon walking up to our room you couldn't help but notice the carpet was filthy black from the exit door to the area in front of our door. I know the exit door was used often, but it seems like something could have been done. Very unsightly.

The staff used the side exit beside our room as an entry door every morning. As an aside, the door was unlocked all the time. The main door to the building had a key card entry after hours, but the side exit remained unlocked. Anyone could enter the building from that door. I didn't think about it, other to note that it was odd having the key card entry in front and the side door remained unlocked. But, it makes the room incident even worse.

Anyway, the staff came in with loud conversations, laughing, banging of doors around 7:30 every morning. It was annoying. I didn't complain about it. Some mornings I was up getting ready, but the kids were asleep. I thought they could have been quieter.

Our room was not what I expected from the GF. The furniture showed so much wear. There was a large amount of some sort of dried glue on the surface of the credenza. There were large unsightly scuff/gouge marks on the credenza and table. The upholstery showed wear and stains. And there was a musty smell to the room. Just not "grand" at all.

Again, we didn't complain. If it were one or two things, it wouldn't have been so bad. But add it all up and it wasn't the best stay we have had. I don't think we will stay at the GF in the foreseeable future. We are considering other vacation options.

What have you observed about the resorts where you stayed?

And here's the problem. IMHO, if you don't complain, how are the CM's/Disney higher ups supposed to know?

You are darned if you do, darned if you don't on these boards. :laughing: If you complain, you are the sort that can't be happy. If you don't, you deserve what you get. :rotfl:

I expect they know what their room conditions are. They should know what they are selling.

We have had problems large and small at the Resorts. After a respectful conversation with staff (not complaining), the issues have always been resolved satisfactorily. A kind word and patience go a long way.

You are darned if you do, darned if you don't on these boards. :laughing: If you complain, you are the sort that can't be happy. If you don't, you deserve what you get. :rotfl:

I expect they know what their room conditions are. They should know what they are selling.

It's not a matter of "not being happy". It's a matter of accepting a dirty room. I wouldn't dream of it, and I've had nothing but excellent experiences with GF.

And here's the problem. IMHO, if you don't complain, how are the CM's/Disney higher ups supposed to know?

My thoughts exactly, it is like the guest whose air conditioner stops working and checks out never letting the front desk know of the problem then the next guest arrives and starts their trip off on a bad note.

I think it is very important to let your concerns be made aware of to the management staff/guest relations

It's not a matter of "not being happy". It's a matter of accepting a dirty room. I wouldn't dream of it, and I've had nothing but excellent experiences with GF.

The "room" wasn't dirty. It was the hallway. The rest was just sub-par.

I'm glad for you having excellent experiences. We also had excellent experiences 2 out of 3 times.

POR is in need of a refurb - BIG time! While our room was clean, it was very worn, from carpets, comforters, drapery, etc.

Our room at ASMo was very shabby last trip. It was only for 1 night then we moved to BWV. Everyone knows that ASMo is in much need for a refurb. If I were staying at GF and playing those room rates I would expect nothing less than a nice, clean, odor free room. If not I would be at the front desk right away complaining.

Our room at ASMo was very shabby last trip. It was only for 1 night then we moved to BWV. Everyone knows that ASMo is in much need for a refurb. If I were staying at GF and playing those room rates I would expect nothing less than a nice, clean, odor free room. If not I would be at the front desk right away complaining.

Paying those rates is right. :sad2:

We waited so long for a room. And even longer for the adjoining room to be ready. It was a madhouse.

The room itself was clean. Just a lot of wear. I used some room deodorizer spray. That helped.

The particular room we had at POR was in great shape. The only resort I flat-out avoid is ASMO - at least until they rehab it.

POR is in need of a refurb - BIG time! While our room was clean, it was very worn, from carpets, comforters, drapery, etc.

Permits have already been approved and it's already been scheduled. The refurb will happen when they're finished with the current POFQ refurb.

OP remark: The main door to the building had a key card entry after hours, but the side exit remained unlocked. Anyone could enter the building from that door. I didn't think about it, other to note that it was odd having the key card entry in front and the side door remained unlocked .

Sooner or later, any resort is overdue for a makeover--I remember Boardwalk was in dire need a year ago? That wouldn't particularly bother me--the wear and tear of resorts at WDW must be enormous. What would bother me is the issue noted above. This certainly should have been brought to the attention of the manager right away--and now that you've posted it on the web, everyone now knows you can get access to the building by alternative means. It may have been a smarter option to inform management rather than announce it to the world -if only for the safety of others staying there.

OP remark: The main door to the building had a key card entry after hours, but the side exit remained unlocked. Anyone could enter the building from that door. I didn't think about it, other to note that it was odd having the key card entry in front and the side door remained unlocked .

Sooner or later, any resort is overdue for a makeover--I remember Boardwalk was in dire need a year ago? That wouldn't particularly bother me--the wear and tear of resorts at WDW must be enormous. What would bother me is the issue noted above. This certainly should have been brought to the attention of the manager right away--and now that you've posted it on the web, everyone now knows you can get access to the building by alternative means. It may have been a smarter option to inform management rather than announce it to the world -if only for the safety of others staying there.

We used the side entrance during the day. It wasn't until very late Friday night (the night before we left) did we discover the door was still unlocked.

I think those that read this thread will be informed now and that is a service to them. I will inform the GF management of this oversight. Nice way with words you have there.

ETA: I did an "official" report with a manager.

I reported the side exit door (beside our room) remained unlocked during our stay. We didn't realize this until our last night. The manager was very receptive and said the door should have been locked after 11. She was concerned and nice as she could be. There were other issues as well on a different thread, but that is all for this thread. The manager will get back to me after investigating. I will post the manager's findings.

Thank you Disney Fool for your suggestion and thank you to everyone for your input.

ETA- The manager called me back. No new findings on the door situation. It was unlocked. They will lock it per policy.

Well, I'll start off with this: I have a thread about a bad experience with the GF involving someone coming into our locked room while our children slept (being watched by family in adjoining room). That by itself was a mystery and quite scary.

Now on to separate observations about the GF resort.

We have stayed at the GF for the last 3 visits at Disney. This particular visit, I noticed some things that didn't seem very "grand". We were located on the first floor near the exit. I thought it might be nice for a change. But upon walking up to our room you couldn't help but notice the carpet was filthy black from the exit door to the area in front of our door. I know the exit door was used often, but it seems like something could have been done. Very unsightly.

The staff used the side exit beside our room as an entry door every morning. As an aside, the door was unlocked all the time. The main door to the building had a key card entry after hours, but the side exit remained unlocked. Anyone could enter the building from that door. I didn't think about it, other to note that it was odd having the key card entry in front and the side door remained unlocked. But, it makes the room incident even worse.

Anyway, the staff came in with loud conversations, laughing, banging of doors around 7:30 every morning. It was annoying. I didn't complain about it. Some mornings I was up getting ready, but the kids were asleep. I thought they could have been quieter.

Our room was not what I expected from the GF. The furniture showed so much wear. There was a large amount of some sort of dried glue on the surface of the credenza. There were large unsightly scuff/gouge marks on the credenza and table. The upholstery showed wear and stains. And there was a musty smell to the room. Just not "grand" at all.

Again, we didn't complain. If it were one or two things, it wouldn't have been so bad. But add it all up and it wasn't the best stay we have had. I don't think we will stay at the GF in the foreseeable future. We are considering other vacation options.

*The management lacks management skills
*The housekeepers had attitudes
*Burned food at the parks and resort

Our stay at BWV was a big fat :headache:
The $$$$ spent to stay there was not worth it in MY opinion
It actually made us canx our next stay at the GF that was supposed to have been the following week:sad2:. We refused to lose any more $$$ at WDW.:mad:

Everything else seemed to be decent, except the night the one guy served us BURNT food and I had to call management for a refund:furious: I took pictures of that too! And gave it to him to see what we were served. He apologized and wanted to give us a free 30 minute bike ride:lmao: Explained that I was STILL hungry and a bike ride wouldn't help with that:confused3. Said he understood but wanted to do something. Told him, refund my $$$ and we will eat else where.

Since when has serving burnt food ( you know it is burnt, old, spoiled, cold before you hand it over to the guest but you do it anyway) The Disney way:confused3. They would not eat it so why should you. The amount we paid $43.17 ( at the boardwalk to go) was way overpriced to begin with but to have the nerve to serve it burnt was too much for me:guilty:. I was already tired, mad as Hades and that is not what I expected after experiencing everything else. WDW needs to do better:sad2:

I haven't had problems with dirty rooms, and our rooms at mod to deluxe have been in pretty good repair, even POR which many complain of. We were there 8/09 and had a great room. We stayed at CBR and just after heard they were refirb-ing the rooms and wondered why! Our room was in great condition.

My only comment is about Poly. We loved staying there, and not a deal breaker, but our hallway was never vaccumed during the entire week we were there. Same dirt, candy wrappers (why do people think it's o.k. to throw their trash in halls? Can't they hold it till they get to the room?) etc on the floor.
Any hotel, no matter the cost should have clean common areas IMO.
I should have said something, but didn't.
Our room was kept immaculate.

We just checked out of the Beach club resort after a horrible stay, we did complain and got us nowhere, they just give you a business card with an address to write a letter, complaining doesnt do anything. It was sad as we had 14 in our party and we cancelled our cruise for next summer on disney and most have no plans to return to disney for at least 5 years, and will not stay in one of their deluxe resorts.

Sorry you had a bad trip, but ours was alot like yours, dirty carpet, rude service and a no care attitude.

We just checked out of the Beach club resort after a horrible stay, we did complain and got us nowhere, they just give you a business card with an address to write a letter, complaining doesnt do anything. It was sad as we had 14 in our party and we cancelled our cruise for next summer on disney and most have no plans to return to disney for at least 5 years, and will not stay in one of their deluxe resorts.

Sorry you had a bad trip, but ours was alot like yours, dirty carpet, rude service and a no care attitude.

Sad to hear....as I am headed to BC for my first stay in about 45 days. Staying Club Level....from all that I've read about the resort most report it as a wonderful resort, and that's what I based my choice on. I usually stay at AKL Club Level, and Love, love, love it there.....gave up staying there for my son's and my FEB trip as I wanted to experience an EPCOT area resort for the first time.
I really am sad to hear your stay was below-par, I truly hope this is not an indicator of current and continuing conditions at the resort :sad2:
My fingers are crossed that we enjoy our stay at BC!...make that fingers AND toes, :rotfl:

We just returned from a week's stay at the Beach Club (non CL) and from what I had read on this board, I expected to be somewhat disappointed, but on the contrary, it was as delightful as ever. We have been visiting GF, YC, BC and BWI every couple of years since their opening and so far have not been disappointed. We always go sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so of course it's always fairly crowded in the public areas, but they had enough people on staff at the BC market so we didn't have to wait unlike the gift shop at the GF.

The first night we were not too pleased with the location of our room and we changed the next day. Both rooms were immaculate and in good condition. All the CM's were both cheery and helpful and the front desk was very accommodating.

When we misplaced the key to our safe, a maintenance man was there within minutes, and also, when we requested an additional blanket it was delivered almost immediately. This has never been our experience at any 5 star NYC or CA hotel, instead we've waited for at least an hour for requests to be filled.

We've come to expect a certain standard at BC, including beautiful plantings etc, and other than the freezing temperatures, it couldn't have been a more pleasant stay. Manicured boxwood, lavender blue pansies planted in rows, lovely flower arrangements in the lobby and polished brass all added to the ambience.

One rainy day they had a large willow basket filled with pristine towels stationed near the entrance to dry your shoes and in spite of the rain, the marble floor looked clean as could be.

At night, when people returned to the hotel from Epcot, there was a chef welcoming us with samples of gingerbread.

The only thing that bothered us were screaming children running down the halls in the morning but that's certainly not Disney's fault. All and all I think Disney has tried to address the previous criticisms and successfully improved their overall service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter