Resorts (on the Monorail) Booked - Thoughts Transportation at FS?

MKMK

Mouseketeer
We always stay on property - but all the resorts on the monorail are booked for the weekend (husband refuses stay off monorail until we are done with strollers). Am thinking a "new" property may convince him otherwise. Spent an hour or so reading online reviews for the Four Seasons. It sounds very nice - but worried about travel flexibility. We come and go to the parks frequently (small children, short attention span) during the day. Thoughts from those that have done both? We have AP, so it isn't like this is our first trip to Disney, but we will be frustrated if we feel constrained by their bus schedule.

Good and obvious question I hadn't thought of.

Is taking a car between properties fairly easy/efficient/fast? (recognize there are probably multiple existing threads I should research on that topic). We always assumed renting a car would be more trouble than waiting for buses.

Only during the rush hours.

I've done both. (I'll also play my broken record here, by pointing out that my last visit was about 14 years ago.)

Getting to the parks isn't too bad, because even at RD, the people arriving don't all arrive the same instant. It's a bit frustrating at the MK, especially if they park you too far to walk to the TTC, because you have to wait for the tram, and then the monorail or boat. But I've never felt like driving to the park in the morning was a mistake.

Leaving the park immediately after the fireworks/Illuminations/Fantasmic can be horrible. Better to stay late if possible. It's not just the people crowd leaving the park, which is independent of your transportation, but the guaranteed traffic jam as the cars leave. I've forgotten the traffic patterns, but my recollection is that there will be traffic from any of the parks till after you pass the I4 interchange before getting to DTD.

But the rest of the time, a car can be just as good if not better than buses, especially if you manage to park within walking distance of the gate. Besides, there's a certain psychology - the kids will usually be less grumpy being in the car, even if stuck in traffic, then they'll be waiting outside for the next bus. Even without kids, it's always felt to me that if I'm going between parks mid-day, driving is faster than buses.

One important caveat: I have no idea whether parking is free when you stay at the 4S or other resorts in that area, and parking can add up. And I don't know whether the buses to the 4S are at all significantly better or significantly worse than the buses to other resorts.

EDIT: Let me add that having done a fair bit of driving in the world, back in the 90s, I was comfortable with the roads, knew my way around, and was aware of the best routes. There might be a learning curve if it's your first time driving there, but if you go often, it will pay off.

Wilderness Lodge....no monorail but they have a boat and they have a boat to the Contemporary, which does have a monorail.

Second Wilderness Lodge, large boat that you just when the stroller off and on to. Decent bus service to other parks

Check with the 'Orlando hotels and Attractions' forum. They might have some thoughts on this.

I don't understand though - DH is OK staying offsite and taking their buses, but not onsite unless on the monorail?

Four Seasons sounds nice based on everything I've seen on it but those mentioning the WL are on the money. I've stayed at the Poly and the BC on the boardwalk several times and found that the WL is every bit as convenient to the parks. As mentioned above. there are boats running to both the MK and CR as well as above average bus service. My kids also enjoy the boat rides far more than taking the monorail so I actually feel they behave themselves better for it.

Wilderness Lodge is booked too.

Recognize the thinking is not exactly logical. DH pretty much lost it a couple years ago when we tried staying at AKL. The bus service was erratic and always packed. There was no place to sit with our 2 year old twins, so he was trying to fold up the double stroller/find room for it on the crowded bus while juggling a child etc. Ever since, we have stuck to the resorts on the monorail and he is happy. If I want to schedule a trip to WDW and say we are staying someplace not on the monorail, he says "nope, we are staying home". Clearly, the AKL situation was pretty traumatic for him :)

My thinking is, he may concede to FS and riding the bus given it appears to be on a regular schedule and less crowded. Most of the reviews I have read say FS is a great place to stay, but there are some challenges with the transportation to/from the parks. The reviews don't ever come out and say what the problem is. Was hoping someone had stayed there and could compare/contrast.

Are the boats to and from WL accessible to scooters?

Yes. The larger fully covered boats allow scooters to roll/drive right onto the boat. So the first boat to arrive may not be one that a scooter can get on, but one will be shortly that you can.

Wilderness Lodge is booked too.

Recognize the thinking is not exactly logical. DH pretty much lost it a couple years ago when we tried staying at AKL. The bus service was erratic and always packed. There was no place to sit with our 2 year old twins, so he was trying to fold up the double stroller/find room for it on the crowded bus while juggling a child etc. Ever since, we have stuck to the resorts on the monorail and he is happy. If I want to schedule a trip to WDW and say we are staying someplace not on the monorail, he says "nope, we are staying home". Clearly, the AKL situation was pretty traumatic for him :)

My thinking is, he may concede to FS and riding the bus given it appears to be on a regular schedule and less crowded. Most of the reviews I have read say FS is a great place to stay, but there are some challenges with the transportation to/from the parks. The reviews don't ever come out and say what the problem is. Was hoping someone had stayed there and could compare/contrast.

The shuttles do not run as often at the Four Seasons, and I believe there's one shuttle- meaning it drops off at all the parks. If you happen to miss the shuttle, you'll need to wait until the next one which could be up to 30-60 minutes. Your kids may decide it's time to go, and the FS shuttle just left. You'd probably be better off staying at Beach Club- you can walk to Epcot, DHS, or take the boat to DHS & Epcot. The bus to MK & AK only goes to Yacht & Beach. I suggest BC over YC because most of the rooms have been renovated. But no, it won't be as easy as the monorail hotels if MK is your main park. Hubby needs to have a drink and relax!!!! ;)

My wife and I stayed at the AKL before we had kids. We both loved it but every time we plan a Disney trip we quickly rule it out now that we have kids even though it's a beautiful resort and we loved our stay there (and the restaurants). It's not that we remember the bus service being erratic but we do remember the rides being considerably longer than anywhere else we've stayed on the property. We've been waiting until we feel our kids can handle long rides at the end of the day before we plan our return visit to avoid being traumatized like your husband :)

If you do end up at the Four Seasons, I look forward to your trip report. The pictures I've seen of it looks impressive.

Are the boats to and from WL accessible to scooters?
No one in my family uses a scooter so I can't say with confidence. From what I remember, they have different kinds of boats running. I believe there are larger boats similar to what they run at the boardwalk hotels that can carry scooters but they also have smaller boats with a step down to get in and no where to put a scooter even if they did have some sort of ramp.

The four seasons buses have a drop off every 30 min at MK (actually at the TTC) and for the other parks, once an hour.....that was a bit inconvenient when I am used to one every 20 min or so on property......the buses were coach style, so you would have to fold up the stroller, but they have a movie playing overhead, so your twins will be entertained, they were never crowded.....

My wife and I stayed at the AKL before we had kids. We both loved it but every time we plan a Disney trip we quickly rule it out now that we have kids even though it's a beautiful resort and we loved our stay there (and the restaurants). It's not that we remember the bus service being erratic but we do remember the rides being considerably longer than anywhere else we've stayed on the property. We've been waiting until we feel our kids can handle long rides at the end of the day before we plan our return visit to avoid being traumatized like your husband :)

If you do end up at the Four Seasons, I look forward to your trip report. The pictures I've seen of it looks impressive.

100% agree. We thought AKL was great and look forward to going back when our kids are older too. Back then, I didn't realize forums like this existed -- if I had, maybe I would have figured out trying AKL for the first time with two small children is not the best plan.

The four seasons buses have a drop off every 30 min at MK (actually at the TTC) and for the other parks, once an hour.....that was a bit inconvenient when I am used to one every 20 min or so on property......the buses were coach style, so you would have to fold up the stroller, but they have a movie playing overhead, so your twins will be entertained, they were never crowded.....

Thanks. Very helpful. Am wondering if we try it once and see it how it goes (assuming DH agrees to the bus - I think he will if he knows there is a set schedule and they aren't crowded).

Thanks. Very helpful. Am wondering if we try it once and see it how it goes (assuming DH agrees to the bus - I think he will if he knows there is a set schedule and they aren't crowded).

just to give you an idea.....an estimation of sorts, they have 2 routes

one is MK and AK, that say, leaves at 8:10am, get to TTC at 8:20am, then goes to AK, gets there at 8:40am, then goes back to the FS and waits, leaves at 9:10, and repeats throughout the day...

then the MK, Epcot and HS.....say, leaves at 7:40am, goes to MK by 7:50am, then goes to Epcot by 8:05am, HS at 8:20am, and back to FS at 8:40am....or so......

basically they are consistent at a certain time every hour, and once the parks start closing, they get more frequent on routes that have parks that have been eliminated from the route....

you CAN get to RD, which I was worried about.....we stayed at the FS for 3 nights and then went to Pop for 2.....talk about a downgrade....but never had to worry about a bus schedule at Pop! Really, that was one of the only downsides, that and no EMH....

just to give you an idea.....an estimation of sorts, they have 2 routes

one is MK and AK, that say, leaves at 8:10am, get to TTC at 8:20am, then goes to AK, gets there at 8:40am, then goes back to the FS and waits, leaves at 9:10, and repeats throughout the day...

then the MK, Epcot and HS.....say, leaves at 7:40am, goes to MK by 7:50am, then goes to Epcot by 8:05am, HS at 8:20am, and back to FS at 8:40am....or so......

basically they are consistent at a certain time every hour, and once the parks start closing, they get more frequent on routes that have parks that have been eliminated from the route....

you CAN get to RD, which I was worried about.....we stayed at the FS for 3 nights and then went to Pop for 2.....talk about a downgrade....but never had to worry about a bus schedule at Pop! Really, that was one of the only downsides, that and no EMH....

When did you stay? Our friends stayed there late last year and the bus service was much more sporadic than what you experienced. This is great news if the bus service has improved!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter