Resorts included in free dining, historically

IrishNYC

DIS Veteran
We have a trip coming up in less than 4 weeks, but there's a very good chance we'll have to postpone. If we do, we will end up going during free dining, so I'd like to upgrade our stay from CBR to a deluxe. Does anyone know if any deluxes have been excluded from free dining, historically?

and here are all past exclusions:

2013 for the late fall offer (in 2014 there was no late fall offer, all dates for September - December were released at once) the exclusions were Fort Wilderness campsites, AOA Little Mermaid, All Star Movies, POFQ, all three-bedroom villas, and Villas at Grand Floridian (which had just opened).
September offer 2013 - excluded were Fort Wilderness campsites, AOA Little Mermaid and 3-bedroom villas.
2012 late fall offer - Fort Wilderness campsites and AOA Little Mermaid were excluded. There's not anything written for 2012 or prior about the 3 bedroom villas.
2012 September offer and all offers before that - only Fort Wilderness campsites were excluded.

this year I would look for the exclusion of the Polynesian Villas and Bungalows.

Thanks, @MakiraMarlena - just what I was looking for. I'm hoping if we have to postpone we can upgrade to AKL for just a little more than our current trip booked.

I wonder if they would ever include a resort a year after it was excluded? That would be helpful :)

according to the historical exclusions, once a resort has been excluded, it's stayed excluded. Although there is no way you can say that is what will happen all the time.

Do you guys think the villas at the polynesian will be excluded? Its brand new so it wouldnt have been around for the exclusions last year correct?

Also will the blackout dates remain similar?

I'm trying to plan a trip for the middle of October and I was really hoping to take advantage of the free dining plan but I'm worried that the times I'm planning on going and the place Im planning on staying will be excluded...

I'd like to make my reservations now so I can take advantage of ADR but based on last years exclusion dates I'll either have to move my travel dates so I'll miss pre-booking or so I'll miss halloween at home with the kids.

Yes, I do think the Polynesian villas will be excluded. They are similar to the GF villas - not many of them available, and most taken up by DVC members.

Blackout dates have been steadily expanded. You can probably bet on blackouts around Columbus Day and school fall breaks, probably Halloween weekend, Jersey week, Thanksgiving, and the first two weeks December. Remember that the only day you need to worry about is the day you check in. As long as that day falls in the promotion dates you will get the promotion for your whole stay.

You can make the reservation now if you want to and then add the promotion later as long as it applies to the resort/category you booked. If it doesn't you can change it or move it and you'd still have your ADRs that were booked for the previous dates. Wont help you if you have to change to a different week, you'd have to cancel those ADRs anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you MakiraMarlena, do you see any downside into booking both a regular room and a villa for the week we are planning to attend to ensure we at least have a room in the Polynesian in the event that the Villas are excluded. Is that sort of thing frowned upon?

I'm not dead set on staying in a Villa but they are currently cheaper then a regular room and it would be a nice treat if we could have a patio and kitchentte.

We have a trip coming up in less than 4 weeks, but there's a very good chance we'll have to postpone. If we do, we will end up going during free dining, so I'd like to upgrade our stay from CBR to a deluxe. Does anyone know if any deluxes have been excluded from free dining, historically?

What are the dates for free dining 2015? I'd love to book my resort ASAP.

Thanks!

do you see any downside into booking both a regular room and a villa for the week we are planning to attend to ensure we at least have a room in the Polynesian in the event that the Villas are excluded. Is that sort of thing frowned upon?

I cannot think of any circumstance where booking a room would be "frowned upon." Yes you can book both and then cancel one. The only "frowning upon" you might get could be from other posters who do not think it would be "ethical" for you to tie up two room reservations while you decide.

If your idea is that you want to stay at the villas unless they are excluded from free dining, then you can book a package (make sure it's a package) at the villas. When the offer comes out, THEN call to either add the free dining or switch to the regular Polynesian room. You would have to call them anyway to add the promotion. If you are unable to get free dining at the Poly by switching, then you would still have your preferred accommodations at the villas, or you can choose another resort where you can get the free dining. this may be a better plan than having two reservations.

If you are looking into renting DVC points for the villas reservation, be very careful about what your options are for cancelling. Free dining cannot be applied to a DVC reservation so you couldn't just switch it over.

Last edited:
If you know you are going with or without FD then book it. There were slim pickings for the summer discount. There may not be FD as we expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter