Resorts for 5...need idea's

clnational

Earning My Ears
I am bring my family down for the 5th time the first week of August (I in town on business is the reason to travel during the heat season). We are currently booked at POR at rack rate of $159 (includes the trundle bed).

I have already paid for the rooms in full, if I find a better rate, will Disney credit the difference? Will I be happy at POR? What are my other choices to upgrade to ...what hotels take 5 people and at what cost?

Thanks for any assistance

$159 seems high for Port Orleans... That sounds more like a deluxe rate. Many people LOVE POR (my parents among them!) It is very comfortable and charming. I know they are closing down the French Quarter for rennovation starting in May. I know my parents tried to get into POR for end of July and first week of Aug and they couldn't. All in all. I would keep checking for discount codes. The resort itself is very nice. You should be very happy with it.

Make sure to check your reservation's cancellation policy. I have never had any problems getting a credit if I found a discount code later.

A lot of people also like the Animal Kingdom Lodge which has been showing good discounts lately. :wave:

Having planned Disney trips for a family of 5 for several years, here's my experience. POR is usually the least expensive. If your kids are fairly small, it's fine. Once you have two teen boys like me, it no longer works so well. The next least expensive is Contemporary, two rooms at the All Stars or Fort Wilderness cabins. Which order those three fall in depends on what kind of discounts are available. Because the standard rooms at AKL are the ones heavily discounted and they don't sleep five people, we have found AKL to be one of the most expensive options because you have to get a deluxe room. Ditto for WL. Usually the next group is BW, YC, BC, then poly, then gf. All these are great for a family of 5 b/c they have two queen beds and a daybed.

I hope you are not booked with a package b/c you are almost certain to be able to get a discount for POR in August. If you were booking it for June, for example, you would play $94 plus $15 for the trundle or $109. The Contemporary ($149) and two rooms at the All Stars ($148) are also less in June. Everything else that will accomodate 5 is more.

The Swan and DOlphin is currently having a promotion that falls under your dates, as long as you book by May 1st. It is for $139 a night plus tax, if you book it through Dreams unlimited. You can have 5 people in a room and your are only minutes away from Epcot and MGM by foot or water taxi....You have the boardwalk, YC and BC entertainment at your finger tips and an awesome deluxe hotel for the cost of POR...check out the Swan and Dolphin FAQ at the top of the page for the black bold letter special!!! You can'tmiss it, and all the other info there...Good luck!

Tar heel nailed it! The Contemp rooms for that price are the wing rooms. Tower rooms are more. A lot more.

If you are booked in a package, you could change it now (without penalty) to room only. But it sounds like you just have the room booked.

Looking for room for 5 and want onsite privilieges without on-site price may I suggest the Double Tree suites.

Mousesavers has a special on for most dates through to December for $119/night for room and buffet breakfast and a free pizza party voucher for selected dates. Its under $100/night if you forgo the breakfast (but you still get the Pizza Party voucher!)

The rooms are two Queen beds with a Queen Sleeper Sofa so each suite can hold up to 6 adults!

Visit Mousesavers for details.

You are correct, I have only booked the room, but will now look into some of the other options or discounts.

Unfortunately, Doubletree Suites does not have the on-site privilege most important to us -- early entry. We considered the Swan/Dolphin special but it quickly b/c too expensive once we added on $25 for our son who has turned 18, $25 for a rollaway and $10 for the resort fee. I really think one $25 charge would be sufficient, but they said I would owe two!

Have you ever thought about Fort Wilderness Cabins?
I just got a AP rate for $160 a cabin...I thought that sounded
pretty good! We stayed in POR 2 years ago, but my 3 boys
are bigger and we got kind of cramped by the end of the trip.
Has anybody stayed in the cabins? i never hear anybody talk
about the cabins...Are we going to be too far removed from Disney? We were thinking about maybe staying in a deluxe
for a couple of days to mix it up(We're staying 12 days).Where would you stay with family of 5 under $225? Would love
your comments! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

...that price sounds WAY too high for a Mod! My choice would be the CR garden rooms, too!

We have stayed several times at the Ft Wilderness Cabins and just love them. You are really not far from everything. If you don't want to wait for the buses, you can rent a golf cart to tootle around. (Those were way fun!) The marina has a boat to take you to the Magic Kingdom (with a stop at Wilderness Lodge on the way). There is also another boat to take you to the Contemporary Resort. There are two bus systems, internal and external so you can get anywhere you need to go if you don't want to drive. For the value and peace I prefer the Ft. Wilderness cabins to just about anything on property.

Thanks for the info...We're looking forward to it!
I might check out the Contemporary...Just to break things
up! When we stayed at POR 2 years ago, I remember getting
tired of eating out every meal...I'm not looking forward to doing
a bunch of cooking, but looking forward to morning coffee out
on the deck and drinks in the evening...A little more elbow room
wouldn't be bad either(we're staying 12 nites)

Jill:Pinkbounc

When we went with 5 people, we got 2 adjoining rooms at All Star Sports. There was plenty of room for all of us and the biggest advantage was that we had 2 bathrooms. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter