• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort with easiest access to Universal Studios

bdrobet

Earning My Ears
My wife wants to go visit Harry Potter in January. Can anyone recommend a resort with easy access to Universal and back driving? We will not be visiting the Disney Parks at all on this trip. I am a new DVC member and haven't stayed at any of the Orlando Resorts.

Thanks.

Brian

Any Epcot or MK resort is about the same IMO if you are driving, it's about 10 miles.

:earsboy: Bill

Ok thanks. Not having been there, I just wasn't sure if any one would be better than the others.

If going to US/IoA is the plan.
IMHO, you should plan on booking a hotel on their property. All hotel guests get free FOTL access to all rides/shows for the lenght of stay. That alone can make your visit much more relaxing.
Physically the closest resort to US is SSR and then OKW.

How long to you plan to be in the area? Will you be spending any time hanging around your resort?

If you are going simply to visit Universal/IOA I would go with Saratoga Springs as it will be the easiest to drive to/from, IMO. Old Key West would be my second choice.

If you will be spending any time at the resort you may want to go with the one that most appeals to you. Even the farthest resorts from Universal/IOA (Bay Lake Tower and the Grand Floridian) are really only 5-10 minutes farther away. We love both SSR and OKW so we'd still go with one of those, but if you'd like to try a particular resort I'd just go with that one.

VWL is probably geographically closest, if you take the back way out past FW and thru the backstage area, then over to Apopka-Vineland. I can look up the street names if you'd like.

I have friends who live over by Universal, and the trip seems to be quickest from VWL.

That said, I'd still recommend staying at a Universal hotel. The front of the line access is going to be crucial if you're going to see HP.

VWL is probably geographically closest, if you take the back way out past FW and thru the backstage area, then over to Apopka-Vineland. I can look up the street names if you'd like.

I have friends who live over by Universal, and the trip seems to be quickest from VWL.

That said, I'd still recommend staying at a Universal hotel. The front of the line access is going to be crucial if you're going to see HP.

VWL is much deeper into WDW property than SSR, OKW, BCV or BWV. It will be a shorter trip from any of those.

If going to US/IoA is the plan.
IMHO, you should plan on booking a hotel on their property. All hotel guests get free FOTL access to all rides/shows for the lenght of stay. That alone can make your visit much more relaxing.
Physically the closest resort to US is SSR and then OKW.

I would book a Universal resort as well if the plan is just to go to Universal. Or even an hotel on International Drive (in January you can find some crazy deal).

The newest (value) Universal resort, Cabana Bay offers to guest only early entry into the Harry Potter lands, not the Front of the line passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter