• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort touring with kids - ideas please!

saylorbunch

Mouseketeer
We have 11 nights on this trip, leaving plenty of time for first-time resort touring! (We're staying off-site). Will be with DH, and kids 14, 13, 10 & 8. While I could walk around all of the resorts all day and love it, I'm not sure my kids will be thrilled. What are some fun things we can do while touring? Any amenities we can use while not being guests? Just want something "different" to do!

Catch an outdoor movie.
Enjoy a campfire/roast marshmallows.
Rent a boat.
Rent a Surrey Bike.
Have a meal.
Character breakfast.
Tour a room.

Also the resorts have plenty of Hidden Mickeys among them. They are always fun to look for!

We call that pool day. We tour different resorts then eat a meal by those pools. Of course we don't swim there, but it's fun to eat by a really fun pool area.

We also take the monorail loop and shop at the GF, Poly, and CR stores.

We went to POR on our last trip. My DS was thrilled to go cane pole fishing ($4 for one pole and the worms). His first adventure fishing and amazingly enough, he caught a fish!! He was so proud.

Afterwards, my DD begged to rent a surrey bike so off we went. It's harder than it looks, but DH and I are cyclists so we loved it.

Other resorts that stood out to us were:

Wilderness Lodge: they have all these board games and oversized toys in the middle. The kids spent over a half hour playing while DH and I snoozed on the couches and rocking chairs. We had to drag them away from the play area.

CSR: The playground was lots of fun. They also had a beach volleyball court we could have played at, but didn't have the time.

AKL: night viewing goggles. It SOUNDED cool - but really, it was easier to see the animals without the goggles. Still, the bragging rights were worth it :) Walking the grounds was really nice. We also spent some time outside the kids club there. They have a Wii game going that anyone can play. The kids played for about 20 mins while I chatted with a CM.

Fort Wilderness: Should be loads of fun - we really haven't spent much time here at all yet.

We liked pin trading at the resorts. At SSR the kids had a blast with their big pin trading boards and spent forever at it. At Pop, they allow you ONE trade a day. At SSR, there was nobody around so my kids spent over a half hour trading over and over and over again.

Poly: Hanging on the beach was really nice, particularly late at night when no one was around after a fab meal at Ohana.

We've now visited pretty much all the Disney resorts (for various ADRs) and it's always fun. My son wouldn't mind a resort hop focused on all the different arcades....

Great, thanks! So even if you are not a guest, you can use their amenities? (Except pools, I'm assuming...)

Definitely enjoy the pools and hidden mickeys, and order the resort's specialty drink/snack. People watching in the lobbies is really fun, and your kids could watch the cartoons in the kids area. If you visit one of the resorts on Seven Seas Lagoon and want to splurge, there are rental boats, parasailing, and other watersports. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter