Resort Switch by Disney Due to Poly Closure Through Summer 2021 - Please Post Your Experiences

We were booked in mid June. First they moved us to the Villas. Then once news broke about monorail an hour later, my TA called and they moved us to GF! Price protected. So excited. The first phone call they said they would only move us to Villas. We’ve never stayed at GF.

I am booked at the Poly starting June 17th. I am on hold now checking to see what my options are. Or do you think I should just move the reservation myself??

I am booked at the Poly starting June 17th. I am on hold now checking to see what my options are. Or do you think I should just move the reservation myself??
That was our date too (see my post above). We got moved to GF. Call now 😆😆

I was booked at Boardwalk for October 6-15. Disney moved us to a Lagoon view at Poly. Since that won’t be happening, I called again and was just moved to GF Lagoon view. Price protected still from original BW ressie. Now fingers crossed they actually open GF.

Last edited:
I was originally scheduled for BWI water view from December 20th - 26th. When it was announced that resort wasn't going to be open, I was moved to Poly lagoon view. Once I saw that the Poly won't be open for those dates, I proactively called WDW to find out what my options were. At first, I was told the only option was a studio at the Poly unless I paid the difference. I knew this wasn't correct - my original reservation was price protected - and after being transferred to a different CM, I was ultimately moved to GF lagoon view with no additional charge. Now let's just hope GF opens on schedule! Edited to add: I was on hold for longer than 90 minutes to get the change made.

I was booked at Boardwalk for October 6-15. Disney moved us to a Lagoon view at Poly. Since that won’t be happening, I called again and was just moved to GF Lagoon view. Price protected still from original BW ressie. Now fingers crossed they actually open GF.
I can’t imagine them keeping GF closed past the scheduled date. Wouldn’t it cause issues if both Poly and GF were closed for a long period of time? I’m wondering where people who were going to stay at either one of those in Sept will be switched to now? Any switch could be potentially disappointing if you were set on staying at a monorail resort. I like CR but I prefer Poly.

Thanks! On hold now. Going on 20 minutes. I think I would rather stay at BLT or the Contemporary. We shall see what they say.

Just got an email from Disney stating that they will reach out within four weeks of my arrival date to discuss the Resort and room type options available to you and to assist with modifying your Disney Resort hotel.

Sorry. I’m confused. You mentioned that when you heard about the Poly not opening, you contacted your TA and they may have gotten the ball rolling.

It sounds like your TA initiated the switch?

He totally could have but made it sound like that Disney moved me - that his reaching out to Disney started the ball rolling. But from the looks of me checking stuff out and my TA looking around, the GF may be getting booked quicker for August.

I can’t imagine them keeping GF closed past the scheduled date. Wouldn’t it cause issues if both Poly and GF were closed for a long period of time? I’m wondering where people who were going to stay at either one of those in Sept will be switched to now? Any switch could be potentially disappointing if you were set on staying at a monorail resort. I like CR but I prefer Poly.
I prefer the Poly over any WDW resort, but I'm happy with GF. (Especially during the holidays.) I remain hopeful that this third time is the charm!

That was my thought as well. I rationalized that since GF is set to open before Poly, they would have announced that today too, if it was not going to open as planned. When we were moved from BW, we had several options, CR being one of them, but of course now, closer to my dates, my options were more limited. Plus, my non park dining was pretty much linked to monorail loop, so we took the GF offer. Now to figure out if monorail will still be looping, even without a station at Poly. That may be my next obstacle.

Keep in mind that although Grand Floridian and Coronado Springs are not open to the public yet, those resorts have been open to the NBA. So the CMs have been called back to work. So I doubt they would postpone their reopening a. Now Art of Animation??? That is one I think will be pushed back. Just my guess

Just booked Dec 5-10 at Poly 2 days ago. 😒 Just myself and DS8 for this trip.
Called and got right thru. CM moved us to BLT lake view studio.

Im booked in a deluxe studio. It seems these rooms are still bookable. Does anybody know if they are cancelling reservations for this room type?

Im booked in a deluxe studio. It seems these rooms are still bookable. Does anybody know if they are cancelling reservations for this room type?

No, a deluxe studio is a DVC/villa room - that side of the resort is open and not a part of the current resort-side closure.

I wonder if there's any hope for the monorail being open by next June?🤔 We rented points for a DVC studio for our 20th anniversary trip and the monorail was a big reason we chose the Poly.

We had a Poly standard view booked for late January. Really didn’t want either GF or CR, so switched online to a Poly Studio Villa for the same price. Disappointed about the monorail, but the villa side is close enough to the TTC that it’s just as easy to catch the monorail or ferry from there. Hoping the Poly/GF/MK boat loop will be running normally by then too.

What I WILL miss is Trader Sam’s. 😭 On the other hand, a less crowded Tambu sounds great. At least I can still get my Lapu Lapu fix! :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter