Restaurants
Pool
Room size
Bathrooms

Or even further

The lobby
The crowds around the hotel

Price per point for where to own.

Point chart, Pools and QS food in that order for where to stay, and whether or not it has a zoo being also occasionally important.

In these orders for us: Theme, Availability during travel/Location (tie), Pool, Restaurants.

Location will only be a priority to us sometimes. We own BLT solely because of the proximity to MK, but we also own BRV because we love the theming, don't mind at all that we can't walk to any of the parks.

In the early years our goal was to visit every DVC. We always have 2 to 3 non-park day and resort hopping is factor on family trips (14 days) especially if there is something unique at the resorts (e.g., Halloween Pumpkins or Easter Eggs). Now that the kids have joined the real world our family trip is 10 days with 1 non-park day.

Other then Animal Kingdom and Treehouses travel was not a consideration for us. We consider both these vehicle resorts. I guess we are odd because we consider travel part of the adventure and often look for the most modes of transportation to get from point A to B other than first thing in the morning.

We discuss which hotel next trip during our current years trip. Use FaceTime or Group Chat to confirm the week before the 7 or 11 month mark.

I would say variety is our selection criteria but points do play a small factor. We are looking to add on in 2024 to more frequent small trips plus one 10-day family trip. Now that we are locals the family comes to us for Christmas and we book resort only stay.

Location, theme, pools, restaurants. For us, AKL for the peaceful feel, theming, 2 excellent pools, and outstanding resort restaurants. BCV for the location, theme, awesome pool, and walking proximity to some really good dining options! I expect most families will have their own priorities!

I'd say the points charts for us, are a low priority. We have stayed at all the DVC locations at WDW, and found where we love best - and have adjusted our points contract to match the places we most enjoy staying. I'm sure we could use less points staying at a Saratoga (for example), but we don't enjoy that resort as much as our favorites, so the points charts don't matter!

Cost (price per point and dues plus length of contract) for buying.

When picking resorts to stay at, location.

The reason I was asking is because yesterday I was reading a thread on Stromalong and I thought to myself I have more interest in visiting a resort based on their lobby rather than their pool.

I was interested to find out what other things people are interested in that I had not thought about.

LOL, we chose based on location. Although at the time, our choices were limited to OKW, VB, HH, and BWV....

We are location then theme/atmosphere. We love the MK area and for us the atmosphere and theme of VGF and CCR are our thing.

Location. Theme is the least important to me. We bought at BLT. I don't care for the modern/minimalist decor at all, but I love walking back to the room after fireworks while most guests are waiting for transportation.

In order:
Transportation options - Tied to location I guess but I would rather book AKL where there is a single bus stop than OKW with the internal bus loops. Extra bonus points of course for anything walking distance to a park.
Availability - We're SSR owners trying to book elsewhere at 7 months so some resorts/room types are not on the table for us.
Room quality - How recent was the last refurb? Some of that furniture gets tired near the end so it could be a tipping point between two resorts.
Lobby - Seems like a small deal but there is just something special about walking through Wilderness Lodge or Jambo House on the way to your room.

Location was top and then we went from there.

But, we fell in love with RIV and sold BWV, which was walking distance to the parks because we preferred the resort itself better

We originally bought BLT and then fell in love with VGF for our MK resort so sold that to own there.

Points chats was irrelevant because once we knew what we loved, we had no choice to accept it!!

In order:
Transportation options - Tied to location I guess but I would rather book AKL where there is a single bus stop than OKW with the internal bus loops. Extra bonus points of course for anything walking distance to a park.
Availability - We're SSR owners trying to book elsewhere at 7 months so some resorts/room types are not on the table for us.
Room quality - How recent was the last refurb? Some of that furniture gets tired near the end so it could be a tipping point between two resorts.
Lobby - Seems like a small deal but there is just something special about walking through Wilderness Lodge or Jambo House on the way to your room.
I love to relax, and people watch in a resort lobby.

I think our next couple of trips will be split stays at Jambo and BRV or Kidani and CCV to see how I like the 2 different types of lobbies.

Availability
We own at SSR but haven’t stayed there in over 10 years. I start looking at what is available during a general timeframe and snag a room at a resort when it’s available. Our preferred locations involve being able to walk to a park(s).

When we bought APs in April (I think?), I was able to get BLT for august (changed to BWV when I saw it was available through stalking- loacation!), RIV tower studio for October (available and never stayed there), and a month later AKL jambo studio for Dec (available- hubby has never stayed there). If in my random searches/stalking BWV or BCV show up for December, I’d change the AKL stay.

Last week I was toying around the idea of a late Feb/ early March trip and saw some consecutive nights at BCV available, so I snatched up that booking. Availability AND location!

Location, Transportation and theming.

Polynesian for Magic Kingdom and EPCOT.
Riviera for Hollywood Studios and EPCOT.
Grand Californian for Disneyland and California Adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter