Resort Ressie vs. Rented DVC Points???

jessicamouse

Mouseketeer
My hubby and I are planning our next trip to WDW for the 1st week of December 2013. We are unsure whether or not to book onsite (and hope for FD) or to rent DVC points to stay in a studio at either OKW, BWV or BCV. We have 2 sons - ages 6 and 4. It looks like we would save money doing DVC if no FD is offered, but I don't know how the experience compares. I'd love to hear some opinions/advice! I can't WAIT for our next trip!!! Wish it was sooner...

have heard that for 2013 when there will be free dinning it will only be QS not TS

so would definitely go with DVC.

that say the first two weeks of Dec are very popular with dvc members. you might get lucky but probably BWV and BCV are gone.

so would try for OKW. you get a kitchenette so you can prepare foods to save money.

Believe it or not, you're getting close to short-notice for an early December reservation at a DVC resort. As Spiceycat said, the first week of Dec is about the most popular week of the year for DVC reservations. Owners can book at their home resort at 11 months out, and many book that period the day their reservation window opens.

That was two months ago, so you're likely to be seeing limited availability by now. You may need to split your stay between two resorts, if you can't get your whole stay at one resort.

Of the resorts you listed, OKW is the most likely to still have openings, since it's one of the largest DVC resorts and has many more villas than the others. You might want to consider SSR and AKV as well.

OKW is also the only resort with studios that have 2 queen beds. For 4 people, that's what I'd go with. All other DVC studios have a queen bed and a sofabed, and things can get pretty cramped when the sofabed is open.

I'd strongly recommend that you make your decision soon and start working with a member or broker, so you can have the best shot at getting the villa you want.

Thank you so much for your responses. I looked into availability through the DVC rental store (online) and was told that they could not search for availability or make a reservation for me until 7 months out (April 30). Should I look elsewhere? OKC is actually our first choice, because of the 2 queen bed set up. I am a little hesitant to book simply because of the non-refundable aspect, but it really seems like it could be a good deal.

thanks again!!

The places that are DVC rental points brokers can only check availabilty if they someone has points that are available for rent for that particular property. For example, if someone is a DVC owner with BCV as their home resort and they want to rent their points then they can book at BCV at 11 months out but at any of the DVC properties at 7 months out. If the broker does not have anyone with points available for rent at the properties that you are considering then they cannot check availability at the 11 month point.

Another option for points is through David's DVC rental. We're using them for a points rental for the first week in December 2013. They were really short on points for BLT so we couldn't get anything through them for BLT but we had no problems for AKV. The advantage of going through a broker versus finding a DVC owner and dealing directly with them (such as on the Disboard DVC rental discussion) is the security there is someone in the middle to shoulder some of the risk because they keep some of the money in escrow for the DVC owner.

Thank you so much for your responses. I looked into availability through the DVC rental store (online) and was told that they could not search for availability or make a reservation for me until 7 months out (April 30). Should I look elsewhere? OKC is actually our first choice, because of the 2 queen bed set up. I am a little hesitant to book simply because of the non-refundable aspect, but it really seems like it could be a good deal.

thanks again!!

I was told the same thing (by the DVC rental store) - wanted to try for a studio at AKL but was told they wouldn't be able to book it till 7 months out. I think 7 months out is waiting too long. Last year when we were at the 7 month window all that was available was SSR and we are not interested in staying there again so this time I just went ahead and booked POR.

You might want to look into renting points from a DVC owner, like the mouse owner site.

Check the DVC rent/trade board. Owners put points up for rental and usually state their home resort. Find someone with OKW as their home resort and they would be able to book it for you. Personally, we really like the BCV & BWV area with kids. The pool at BCV is great for kids. Disney heats their pools and weather in December typically is pool friendly. There's also lots going on around the Boardwalk and its super close to Epcot & DHS. The kids love riding the boat to DHS!
We rented points numerous times through the rent/trade board on here and never had any problems. In fact, we loved DVC so much, we became members! ;) Good luck!

Remember, going through DVC, you will not have daily maid service. When we rented points, we had trash and towel service on day 4 and maid service on day 8.

For us, it was not an issue.

Remember, going through DVC, you will not have daily maid service. When we rented points, we had trash and towel service on day 4 and maid service on day 8.

For us, it was not an issue.

No, you had full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8 of an eight night or more stay. Unless the housekeepers messed up the schedule.

Deb & Bill said:
No, you had full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel on day 8 of an eight night or more stay. Unless the housekeepers messed up the schedule.

According to DVC it's trash and towel on Day 4. We did not stay until day eight to see what one would get. So no messing up on either part. Thanks for update.

OKW actually might still be available at 7 months out. worth another look IMO.

According to DVC it's trash and towel on Day 4. We did not stay until day eight to see what one would get.

the policy is different if you stay 7 nights or 8 nights:

Trash & Towel Service
For stays of seven or fewer nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:

Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
Provide fresh bathroom linens.
Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.

Full Cleaning Service
For stays of eight or more nights, Full Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Full Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

Change the bed linens.
Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
Clean the bathroom(s).
Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter