Resort Mugs...Kinda Pointless?

Your 1st line says you don't consider this a perk.. :confused3 But then you go and say that you use it up to 3 times a day. That right there would cost you at least 7 bucks....It would only take you 3 days to break even at worst, if drinking w/ out the refillable cup...

Also spending time at the resort is only an extra added bonus to the amount of money saved.... If you add up all the drinks and or coffee/tea you'll drink the amount of money adds up...This includes bottles of stuff as well, which is waay more savings.

Sorry, what I failed to put in my original post is I probably wouldn't bother filling it 2 or 3 times a day if I didn't have it for free. And honestly, even if I did pay outright for 2-3 resort drinks a day instead of getting the mug, it's not a big enough amount of $ for me to consider it that much of a perk. A nice to have? Sure, just not that big a deal to me.

We spend over 50% of our vacation at the resort and pool so yeah it's a good perk. I could see how if you're in the parks most of the time, it wouldn't matter. And to each their own, but when I see people lugging those mugs around to the parks I get a little baffled. Yeah, you could fill them with water I guess, but why bring ALL the cups. Just seems like an inconvenience.

As said earlier it depends how much you drink & how long you stay.
We don't do the DDP so we bought 2 for our family of 4 for our last trip in winter. Park hours were shorter & the food court was open when we got back. My husband & I both have tea/coffee in the morning, so I worked out that based on that alone they were worth it (a 10 day stay). And I always have tea in the evening. We were at AOA so walked by the food court on the way to/from the buses. We took them to the parks as we filled up just before getting on the bus. They didn't take up much room in our small backpacks. One of the security people at bag check laughed & said guess you're staying at one of our resorts. He said they see a lot of people go through with mugs.
Now, when we have stayed at CBR at a different time of year (September/Oct) we didn't buy them as the food court wasn't as convenient, even though we were in one of the closer areas. And we were often back very late.

This thread has made me ponder several things......

1. The activation is 14 days. Disers you disappoint. How has no one exploited this yet? This just begs the question of why there is no mug share thread! :rotfl:

2. Given that I am traveling during free dining, but not on the free dining rate, anyone who does not need their mug, please send it to my room. I will gladly take it off your hands :thumbsup2

We love them. 4 people wanting drinks (and I have teen/tween sons who can drink a lot of power-ade lol) every morning, poolside, and every night really adds up. DH has his coffee in the morning, I have tea or hot chocolate, the kids will drink power-ade, hot chocolate, and soda... I guess it works for us because we do spend a fair bit of time at the resort. And if no one feels like walking to the refill station after a full day at the park, DH and one of my DS will hop in the truck and run down there for our drinks at night. Some days we also drive rather than wait for the bus, so we'll toss the mugs in the truck and fill them on the way back to the room. We easily refill them 20 times each in a 7 day stay.

I am not a huge soda drinker and I only drink coffee in the morning (usually iced) which I fix in the room, so for me not a good perk.

I bought one once and got one with a prior FD stay. I do keep one at work to use if I need a cup. But I'm not a fan of the shape. I did buy one at a waterpark (love the shape of those) and I love it as a water mug at home, but I only used it for a couple of water refills, while at Disney. It was bought specifically as a souvinier.

I'm about to get another with FD so since I'm not technically buying one its a nice souvenir. But I will probably never buy one again.

I averages 4 drinks a day.
-Coffee after I wake up but the kids are sleeping.
-Coffee before we board the bus
-Juice or soda when we return from the park. May be mixed with liqueur upon getting to room.
-Kids are asleep. Definitely getting another soda or juice to mix with vodka before I go to bed.

We are a family of 4, stay a week. Get them as part of FD. We do use them and nice perk is saving the QS drinks for later. We'll get milk and OJ and save for breakfast in the rooms. If we had to pay OOP. We'd most likely share 2 among us 4. We even found for a 2 nite RO, sharing 2 paying OOP was a good deal. Here we were spening most time at resort pool and it's great sending the kids off to get fillups whenever.

We always get them but they are part of the DlxDP. I always get my Powerade in the morning (2-3 glasses worth) and then we will stop on our way back to the room after a day at the parks and fill up again. Our "home" is POFQ and we like to walk around the resort or go to the pool on some afternoons for a break and we'll fill up the mugs/cups/glasses then also. I would say we use them 5-7 times a day. That doesn't include filling them with ice in the parks having nice ice cold water on the warm September days.

This thread has made me ponder several things......

1. The activation is 14 days. Disers you disappoint. How has no one exploited this yet? This just begs the question of why there is no mug share thread! :rotfl:

2. Given that I am traveling during free dining, but not on the free dining rate, anyone who does not need their mug, please send it to my room. I will gladly take it off your hands :thumbsup2

Why would someone part with it after their trip is done??? :confused3 It's not like once you leave WDW then it's time to throw them away.... I'm sure everyone on here has spent $20 bucks on a stuffed animal or Mickey Ears or some Blown glass figures or whatever. Well this is the same thing, but only you'll get your drinks ( while your Here) & I'm sure you can have it as a momento or souveneir (back Home) or keep using it as a travel mug...... Remember we're talkin 17 bucks here...... Mere pennies , when talking about a WDW trip..

I agree with PPs who said it depends on how much you are at the resort and what you drink. I pretty much only drink water or alcohol - no soda, no juice, no coffee - maybe the occasional cup of tea. A mug wouldn't be worth it for me. And I have so many water bottles - no way I need another.

We like to have our drinks as we drive to the parks, the when we return we stop and refill. Every afternoon is spent at the resort so that's another fill. And evening when we return. But I don't carry them all day. I am always surprised to see 4 clipped to someone's backpack as they walk around the parks all day. Not for me!

I am one that finds the mugs pointless. We leave the resorts early and we get back after the market is closed. Disney coffee is not enjoyable so we bring our own coffee maker and coffee. I do not care to have a plastic mug for a souvenir. I would consider if I spent more time at the resort/hotel, but for us it is a waste of money.

Well...back in the day....

We went in 1999 and bought the mugs. You could have them refilled EVERYWHERE! So yes, that made sense. We could refill them in all the parks so we carried them on a strap when empty. Now we just drink water.

We used them at the pool and also had a late night drink runner to fill them up so we all hydrated before bed. We are headed to DL this time around and I'll miss the mug that came with the dining plan!

Why would someone part with it after their trip is done??? :confused3 It's not like once you leave WDW then it's time to throw them away.... I'm sure everyone on here has spent $20 bucks on a stuffed animal or Mickey Ears or some Blown glass figures or whatever. Well this is the same thing, but only you'll get your drinks ( while your Here) & I'm sure you can have it as a momento or souveneir (back Home) or keep using it as a travel mug...... Remember we're talkin 17 bucks here...... Mere pennies , when talking about a WDW trip..

Oh man, epic fail at a late night attempt at humor. At least, I entertained myself for a brief time

I think it really depends on your resort. I used it more at WL but this year we were at OKW and were not near the one drinks refill station. I think they make most sense if you have a quick service restaurant. We did take it with us to POR when we went for dinner at their food court. I would like a good in park option like Universal has.

We spend a lot of time at our resort, but don't drink a lot of soda, coffee, or anything else. They are nice for hot chocolate in the winter, but our next trip is in September sooo...
When we bought mugs before, we drank more soda, just because we could, when we really should have stuck to drinking water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter