resort ??? for the experts

DarPa

Earning My Ears
Hi! Newbie here to the resort boards! We have just returned from our 4th WDW trip in 4yrs. but always stayed off-site! I have finally gotten my DH to agree for our next yrs. trip(dates undecided yet) to bite the bullet and stay on-site! WOOHOO! I have been lurking the boards and getting so much info and am starting to overwhelm him and myself! LOL 1st We are planning on buying APs. now if I understand this right I should book wherever we decide to stay NOW thru CRO then wait for AP discounts to come out and then apply them to existing ressies right? Has anyone ever waited for discounts to come out and called only to be told there were no more available? Are there only so many available and they go really quick?Is there only a set # of rooms for each resort set aside?? I'd hate to book now and not be able to get a discount later and end up paying reg. price! We also have AAA and I'm to try to book under that 1st right? I've read another post where the OP was told even that wasn't available during their stay! Why wouldn't AAA be available all yr. round? Is there a certain time more than others when AAA rates are easier to get? Sorry so many questions but am trying to get things right so DH won't regret agreeing to staying on property! Thanks all for any help!

AP discounts (and all room discounts, for that matter) are offered on a limited, first-come first-served basis. So yes, even AAA discounted rates might not be available at certain times. AP rates can sell out and even if you have an existing reservation, you aren't guaranteed the ability to modify it to a discounted rate should those rates become available.

There's also the theory that states that discounts are offered to fill rooms, therefore, booking a room early means that fewer discounts will be available as a result of higher bookings. Take it or leave it -- it's just a thought.

I'd go ahead and book the room through AAA when the rates are out (I don't know if they have discounted rates for next year yet or not) as long as the cancellation policy gives you room to get out of that reservation should you need to for some reason. Otherwise, I'd wait and see what happens. Once you decide when you are going, ask here for when AP rates (and other discounts) for that time have traditionally been announced -- that way you know when to be on the lookout for rates.

Good luck -- staying onsite really adds to the magic!

Thanks for your reply! I have started to get really excited about staying on-site and want to just jump right in! LOL We usually go 1st 2weeks in May or 1st 2weeks in June! My DD will graduate next yr. and I thought staying on-site would be a nice surprise! While we prefer May I know that won't be possible with DDs upcoming grad. so will possibly be going mid-June maybe! Do you know when the AAA or AP discounts come out approximately for that time of yr.?? I never thought that too many booking early could make a difference in less discounts being offered! It definately makes sense! I was under the impression by reading mousesavers that you should book now so as to definately get the resort you wanted for your trip and then worry about codes. We have pretty much decided we'd like to stay at CBR . Does anyone know whether that resort usually books up fast for mid-June? Thanks again!

I would suggest booking what you're prepared to pay if no other discounts become available. In other words if you'll stay in CBR only if a discount is available than either book a value resort or off-site. Since POR is closed moderate hotel rooms MIGHT be at a premium.
Discounts are used to fill rooms that otherwise would go empty. If too many people book on spec discounts won't be forthcoming.

You might also check on discounts at Swan/Dolphin. You can get some attractive occupational and entertainment card rates.

So I guess what your saying is with POR closing most likely the mods won't get AP discounts this yr?? I guess we could wait and see but then take the chance CBR being already booked for the weeks we want. While the AP discount would be great I am not depending on it in order to stay at CBR. Thanks again!

As long as you're willing to pay the price you reserve at go ahead and make your reservation. Be prepared, it's possible you'll be able to get WL or AKL (with an AP discount) for not much more than rack rate at CBR. When (if) AP rates become available you may have the choice of either pay less or get more.

Originally posted by DarPa
So I guess what your saying is with POR closing most likely the mods won't get AP discounts this yr?? I guess we could wait and see but then take the chance CBR being already booked for the weeks we want. While the AP discount would be great I am not depending on it in order to stay at CBR. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter