• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort for five people - wwyd?

I would rent DVC points. They have fixed costs of $2015 for their park passes and $1860 for the DDP, which comes out to $3875. Most 1BRs will hold 5 people and some studios will also hold 5 people. They can also rent a 2BR if they really want to stretch out.

A BWV Studio is only 111 points Sun-Sat in early August. It has a queen bed, a pull out couch and a day bed. VWL, GFV & PBV all have pull down beds in their studios. My DD is 5'4" and slept on one, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who it taller. 1BRs at OKW, AKV (not the "value" category) and BLT have sleeper chairs to sleep 5 people.

They will probably have to pay more to rent a DVC studio or 1BR than ONE moderate room, but it's probably cheaper than 2 values.

Last edited:
Groups of 5 work great at POR when you have at least one "smaller" kid. But with the kids all being teens, space-wise and budget-wise two value rooms is your best bet. In most cases it's still cheaper than getting a family suite.

I'm going to look into this option, thanks! I just don't like not having the guarantee of connecting rooms. What about a deluxe, such as BWI (2 queens, daybed).

Not a guarantee of connecting, but in all of our trips, they have always been next door. I know they say no guarantee, but they usually try real hard. We've booked 2 rooms 5 times now, and always had next door, just not always connecting.

We have not stayed 5 to a room in a moderate, so I am not sure how that would work. I have stayed 5 in a Deluxe and that was fine for my family. We are pretty easygoing though, and are used to traveling together.

With teens I would not worry so much about connecting rooms, so if cost was an issue I would look at two values. There are tow bathrooms, and IMO, that is the issue.

I think that if you are not planning to spend a lot of time in the room I would consider going as inexpensively as possible. If you are planning to spend time I would look at renting points and going to a villa.

Definitely 2 rooms at pop. Most room, 2 bathrooms and most bang for the buck. We are always a family of 5 or 6. This will be our 9th stay at pop and we have always gotten connecting rooms. We make connecting rooms our only request and make no other requests at on line check in. This gives the room assigner the most options. If you book the trip online thru the disneywold site, it asks you on one of the screens "do you need connecting rooms with another party?". Jusy fill in the name of the person you have the other ressie set up under (don't use the same name on the ressies). If none of the kids are over 18, you will have to put one parent in one of the room ressies and the other one on the other ressie. We have 6 (all Disney adults) this trip in November, 2 rooms at pop with ph + FD for 8 days for $4650.

Last edited:

I would say it depends on the size and the sleeping habits of the teen-- my 5'6" daughter is very comfortable on the pull-down bed.

Thank you! I'm guessing that Port orleans pull out would be the same, too small for a teenager?

I would go with the suites like All Star Music or Art of Animation Suites with 3 teens.

Each would have their own sleeping space, there would be 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's and they have microwaves for heating up stuff fast like bagel bites which my teenage son practically lived on and insisted we bring on our last Disney trip.
He ate them all up too and we had to drive offsite to buy more. LOL

If your dates and plans are firm you will do better renting points. Insurance can be added if you are concerned about something coming up but that adds to the cost and you can always go through a broker for more protection (but usually a higher price per point). Our member made it super easy for us as a first timer and I feel like we made a friend.

The only way we would have made out better cost wise (and yes, I run all the numbers) would have been 1 standard view room at the BWI with free dining, YC magical offer for 2 rooms was a very close second given what that gave us. I did not run numbers against AoA suite though. I did run the numbers for 2 moderates.

Hope that helps - have a great time whatever you decide!

I would consider renting DVC points for a stay at Old Key West - a two bedroom there would give you a king and two queen beds - two bathrooms - full kitchen and lots of room. A one bedroom wouldn't be bad but two teens would have to share a sleeper sofa - another OKW option would be to rent two studios which depending on when you are going could be $880 per studio for a week. Two studios would give you four queen sized beds - two bathrooms. Plus there is a short boat ride to Disney Springs - bowling, lots of restaurants, movie theater - etc.

We've traveled to Disney with 3 teens on several occasions and two bathrooms is crucial for us. We stayed in connecting rooms at Pop Century on 3 different trips -- always got our request. Pop Century has the most number of connecting rooms of all the resorts, that's why we chose it. We also made connecting rooms our only request. Now that AoA is open, we've started staying in a suite. DH & I like having our own private space to just unwind from the busy days. The kids tend to stay up later than us so it's nice to be able to close our door and relax while they're still playing games and watching TV at night. We do take an air mattress along and use that in the suite because none of the kids like to share a bed but they prefer AoA over connecting rooms.

Any idea if you can get a rollaway at AoA? We have five people but really need four beds. I could bring an air mattress if we flew Southwest, but wondering if they have cots/rollaways there?

I would consider renting DVC points for a stay at Old Key West - a two bedroom there would give you a king and two queen beds - two bathrooms - full kitchen and lots of room. A one bedroom wouldn't be bad but two teens would have to share a sleeper sofa - another OKW option would be to rent two studios which depending on when you are going could be $880 per studio for a week. Two studios would give you four queen sized beds - two bathrooms. Plus there is a short boat ride to Disney Springs - bowling, lots of restaurants, movie theater - etc.
OKW has a sleeper sofa AND a sleeper chair in the 1BRs. No sharing necessary!

We stayed at CBR with 3 large teen boys and had no problems at all. Brought a twin blow up bed. It fits perfectly next to the door at night, and the door still opens. Stand it up or deflate it during the day.

We had 2 rooms this year at ASMu; we called 10 days before our trip to ask for connecting rooms and they had no problem accommodating us.

I agree that two value rooms is what you want. Connecting is nice but close by is okay too with teenagers IMHO. I'd also stick the three of them in the 2nd room and keep my own room, but I'm selfish like that :teeth: If any of the three are a teenage boy, I'd def want the dining plan, boys 12-18 can EAT ! My family, girls included, never felt the dining plan was too much food, it was perfect for us and we never spent a penny more for food than what was offered (drinks is another thread :rolleyes1) As for as park hoppers...we have never needed them but that's a personal choice.

We will have this same issue next summer - my oldest DS who is graduating HS has requested we take his best friend with us which gives us 3 teenagers and 2 adults...my DH has already come out and said he wants a 2 BR villa...:crazy2:

AND....we do park hoppers..and DDxP...:headache:

holy cow..I've looked at non-discounted costs for that for June 2016 - and it's over $11k for the trip...

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

I haven't told him how much it is..
If you have a two bedroom villa, skip the DDxP. You can cook your own meals in the villa to save money. Or just get the less expensive dining plan if you really need the dining plan.

I say All Star Music family suite, a little more than 2 rooms, but kitchenette, and smaller resort than Pop. Access to 3 food courts and 6 pools.

Or cabin at Fort Wilderness. That's a great resort with tons to do, a private deck, and full kitchen to constantly feed hungry teenagers.

If you have a two bedroom villa, skip the DDxP. You can cook your own meals in the villa to save money. Or just get the less expensive dining plan if you really need the dining plan.

I realize that we could drop the DDxP to save money, but my DH is NOT going for that one - and frankly I'm not either - I'm not going all the way to WDW to spend time each day cooking meals when I could eat at the fabulous restaurants! I'll just have to find an extra $3k to pay for the DDxP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter