Resort costs

I find myself frequently promoting this hotel, even though I've never stayed there :) The Hilton at DTD. It's located on Disney property.

They have an agreement with Disney- they ARE included in EMH privileges. However, I don't think they are (yet) included in 60-day FP+.

However, I'm not sure how you feel about a rollaway bed for a fifth person!

Thanks everyone! I'm looking into all of this...the suites at the values aren't coming in all that much lower, probably because time of year. $300-500 lower for the entire trip. I have not looked into 2 rooms, so I will. AKL isn't coming in lower at all for me...I do have a family of five...is that your case as well?

I've also been looking into booking with a travel agent (to stay on property) but I'm also look into staying off the resort. As close as possible. I have no idea how that works with tickets and ADRs. I know fast passes can't be planned until the 30 day mark, but what about ADRs? Can I even make ADRs if I'm paying oop and not staying on the resort?

Didn't read through the whole thread but we are a family of 5 once on site, but now strictly off site family. We stayed at Windsor Hills in a 6 bdrm home in June 13 and are booked again for sept 15 at a new home, but same resort. You get a private large pool and hot tub plus the resort pool with waterslide. The amenities you get are great and each kid had their own WDW themed room. We paid more than a value and most mods, but not quite as high as a deluxe and we had so much space. WH is just as close to the parks as the values and some mods. It was easy to get there. For us it isn't about savings, but space and luxury. IMO I wouldn't do two rooms(no gurantee they will be connecting) and am not a fan of any of the values even AOA was very motel 6ish IMO. There are some great mods, but POR isn't one of them. When we were there the kids did a pirate cruise so DH and I had time to stroll around and it was disgusting. The bathrooms were gross, there was garbage everywhere and the food court was obnoxious. It could have been just an off day, but based on that and the size of the room, I wouldn't be interested in cramming my family of 5 in the rooms.

We utilized many strategies recommended here for an amazing off site stay and will not be on site for a long time...if ever. We pretty much ate exclusively on site, toured other resorts and participated in lots of resort activities. We valet parked our car at CR to make MK a breeze and for our upcoming trip we will be doing a throwaway room to make sure we have our MB early and the opportunity to book our FP at 60 days. I think you will find lots of helpful tips to make off site just as magical...and for us even more magical. Good luck with whatever you choosepixiedust:

Well, I'm thrilled with what I'm seeing for off site options...I'm just very nervous with it being a peak week that the transportation will be a challenge and the possibility of being "locked out" if crowds are really high and they close the gates. I'm going to check a few more of the places mentioned. Again, thanks for all of your help!

We are a family of 5, and have stayed both deluxe and moderate Disney resorts. Our kids are 5, 7 and 10 (our 10 year old is the size of a 12 year old), and they ALL fit comfortably on the murphy bed at POR. They fought over who gets to sleep on it :) My kids loved the pool. They have activities going on at the pool all day long. They loved the pool parties and games. Hubby and I enjoyed the pool bar ;) The food court is very good too. Something for everyone. Plus, they have a sit-down restaurant. We didn't eat there though since the food court had so many options for a better price. We saved our money for table service restaurants in the parks.
With all that being said- I love the deluxe resorts. Although, I cannot fathom paying rack rate for them! Very few weeks of the year are blacked out from specials...and you picked one of them!
But on the other side of the coin...you said you don't get the chance to vacation too often. If it will be years before your next trip....maybe a splurge is worth it.

Ok...this is what I would do: Book POR (or CBR). While there, book a bounceback for another trip to Disney and get a discount on a deluxe resort for next time!

You also mentioned using a travel agent. I wouldn't. They are not all well versed with Disney. Just spend some time on here and ask questions. People are very helpful on the DIS.

one more thing...Villas of Wilderness Lodge CAN accommodate a family of 5 in a studio. (Queen, sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair). It's a beautiful resort priced lower than the other deluxe resorts. The boat to MK is a nice way to travel. Plus you can boat to Contemporary and monorail to Epcot or walk to MK from CR. Lots of good restaurants in the MK area too.

With the deluxe resorts, you are paying for location. How important is location to you? Also, SAB is a nice feature at BC; it's like having a water park right at your hotel and your kids are good ages to use it.

That being said, we have stayed at POR and POFQ and liked them both very much (we get 2 rooms at POFQ, but it is still cheaper than 1 room at a deluxe). I think your kids would love either location.

Thanks for the info and advice...I just looked into the DVC points...not saving that much the week we need to go...I will look into the time shares off property and check it out! I appreciate the help. I may just bite the bullet and stay with my reservation, but it is good to know for the future that there are other options. Yes, the family of five makes things quite pricey!

Just a reminder to make sure you factor in the cost of a rental car & gas if you decide to stay off property.

Did you take a look at DVC Rental? I just looked up your exact dates with a points rental place and its $4998 for a 2 bedroom rental (I think you can then fit 8 people if you wanted).

Also don't forget that your pricing without a likely room discount that would be offered.

I would check out rentals as if you rent directly from someone you could even get it cheaper than $4998 as that rental charges $14 per point. Its a total of 357 points so if you could get points cheaper you could save a lot more money.

As a note we are renting 12 days / 11 nights with Boardwalk View in Studio (for 2) for $2100.... That's $190 a night AFTER tax and fees so its really hard to beat.

Cant remember how old your kids are but if you trusted them in their own room you could rent 2 studios to save some money possibly even? You would just rent the rooms with 1 adult in each room and request adjoining rooms but there is no guarantee it would happen.

We rent points from private individuals just as you do, Seth - and save thousands over Disney prices, all the while staying in a place with MUCH more room Plus a full kitchen.:thumbsup2

I think you could actually get away with renting a 1 bdrm for your family of 5.
We have stayed in 1 bdrm's at WLV,AKV and BCV with 4 - 5 people comfortably. You will have a king bed in the master plus a pull-out couch & sleeper chair in the 1 bdrm. (In addition, at AKV you will have 2 bathrooms - just 1 in the others.)
You will have a full kitchen and plenty of rm to spread out.

I do want to clarify that the $7,100 includes the basic meal plan and tickets with park hopper. The DVC rental you mentioned, after I add the meal plan (can I do that w/DVC rentals) and tickets, it would probably be around the same cost? But...we would have more room! I haven't had a chance to look at the rentals or off site the last day or two but will this week! You guys have been awesome

I would lose the park hopper tickets, especially since you will be there an entire week and can easily visit a couple parks a couple of times. It will cut down on costs, plus make things not so hectic. Get to the parks early, use your FP+, get some FP+ for later in the day, leave and go nap/swim/rest, go back to park and enjoy!

I'm still in a bit of sticker shock with the $7,100 BC vacation for April 4-10th, for a family of five. (Kids are 12, 9, 3). I'm booked and hoping to stay...but I looked around a little more tonight, thinking I should be more responsible. Not as many lower cost options since we need accommodations for 5, but I find over and over again POR-Riverside significantly less, even less than the value resorts (I guess because I would have to get a suite at a value and it only averages out to be about $50-75 more a night to stay at BC over a value. Why is POR so much less? (For me it will be about $1100 less, maybe a little more) we don't get to vacation often and will be in disney for only our second time in 7 years so I'm trying to justify the cost.

I stayed at POR in Feb. with my mom and DD who is 3. I liked the resort, however, the rooms are tiny. Especially the bathroom. Plus with the murphy bed you lose storage. I kept thinking that I'd crawl out of my skin if it was myself DH, DD and my two DS's (ages 8 and 5). There would literally be no where to go.

However, with that said, it's not that I'd never stay in those rooms. It just wouldn't be my first choice.

Thanks for the info and advice...I just looked into the DVC points...not saving that much the week we need to go...I will look into the time shares off property and check it out! I appreciate the help. I may just bite the bullet and stay with my reservation, but it is good to know for the future that there are other options. Yes, the family of five makes things quite pricey!

I'm not sure how your eating habits are, but I find that staying deluxe makes food more expensive too. The reason is, there is not a bit food court at BC/BW/YC so you are more likely to do more sitdown. I like to have access to a big food court.

I would lose the park hopper tickets, especially since you will be there an entire week and can easily visit a couple parks a couple of times. It will cut down on costs, plus make things not so hectic. Get to the parks early, use your FP+, get some FP+ for later in the day, leave and go nap/swim/rest, go back to park and enjoy!
Well, if we do end up staying at BC I wanted park hopper because we are so close to Epcot and I would love just walking in here when we want whether it be for meals or an evening of fun...so close to DHS as well. If we go off site, or another location, I would probably get rid of the hoppers then. I'm just so worried about being off site during Easter week (and no, I can't go during off peak times since my husband and I are both teachers and we work summer school) so I'm thinking we might just stay put for now and start looking around the house for items to sell, haha, kidding...maybe, kind of :)

I am planning on doing the same thing! LOL!! You never know how much money you can make off some things! Every penny counts! I am stressing about the money for our BC trip in November but I know it will be worth the splurge . It's probably the last disney trip we will take as a family for a long time! Happy selling;)

We stayed in 2 rooms at All Star Sports last fall, booked through travelocity- for $90 a room a night. I am sure the week you are going wont be that cheap but it might be worth a look. We are also a family of 5, and stayed at POR once in 1 room. We could not do it for a week. We like having 2 bathrooms, and everyone having a bed, and room to move around. We also love the family suites at all star music. They are usually cheaper than the other suites.

I think you could actually get away with renting a 1 bdrm for your family of 5.
We have stayed in 1 bdrm's at WLV,AKV and BCV with 4 - 5 people comfortably. You will have a king bed in the master plus a pull-out couch & sleeper chair in the 1 bdrm. (In addition, at AKV you will have 2 bathrooms - just 1 in the others.)
You will have a full kitchen and plenty of rm to spread out.

BCV & VWL do not have the sleeper chair. AKV (except value), OKW, BLT, VGF do.

We are also a family of 5 and have rented point and stayed in BWV 1-BR the first three trips and we be doing the same 4/8-4/12. We have never done the dinning plan since our girls never eat enough to justify. They split meal all the time and we eat breakfast in the room. Really nice having the full kitchen and washer and dryer, we are able to pack a lot less. We love it so much we bought in May at BWV:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter