Resort collapse due to sink hole

ChristineNic

Mouseketeer
There is an offsite resort that lost an entire building overnight due to a sink hole. The frustratingly uninformative Miami newscaster provided details, but failed to name the resort. :confused3

Around 10pm last night, a window blew out of one of the units. A guest summoned building security and while they were talking, another window blew. They evacuated the building and there were no injuries. As of this morning, half of the building is rubble.

At the entrance of Summer Bay Resort they have a hotel called Crown Club Inn that I stayed at in June,I believe it used to be a Holiday Inn and was pretty nice but just too far from the parks,I told myself I won't be staying there again due to the distance but now I have a bigger reason not to.

We stayed there back in 2008. My husband sent me the link on CNN this morning. Scary for those guests.

We have stayed here before and we enjoyed it! It was a little further from Disney than we like, but it is a very nice place.

Wow! Thankfully everyone is ok.

I leave in three days and THIS is not what I want to be seeing on the news when I wake up.:eek: NOT exactly my idea of fun family vacation time!

This is really weird, but this morning I was laying in bed wondering if there had ever been a sink hole in Disney. I am not going to say the rest of what I was thinking, but I do think weird things in the middle of the night. This is very scarey. We have been considering moving to Florida, but then I hear stuff like this.

This is really weird, but this morning I was laying in bed wondering if there had ever been a sink hole in Disney. I am not going to say the rest of what I was thinking, but I do think weird things in the middle of the night. This is very scarey. We have been considering moving to Florida, but then I hear stuff like this.

Don't rule it out based on sinkholes. They happen more often than anyone would like, but it's not as if every day some house on your block gets swallowed up. You could go through life never seeing one, unless you go out of your way to find it. Or if one does happen to occur on your block...:rolleyes1

This is so sad - Summer Bay is a wonderful place. Over the last ten years I have stayed there at least three times, maybe more - and I was always happy with my accomodations and the amenities of the resort.

Maddle

Don't rule it out based on sinkholes. They happen more often than anyone would like, but it's not as if every day some house on your block gets swallowed up. You could go through life never seeing one, unless you go out of your way to find it. Or if one does happen to occur on your block...:rolleyes1

I feel as if, lately, these have been reported quite often. In Florida. So, since the day we started planning this upcoming trip, whenever I hear one of these stories, my mind has been thinking of sinkholes in Disney, also.

We just bought a resale contract for the Summer Bay Resort, and were supposed to be staying there for a week next month for the first time! :scared1:

I don't know how it works for owners of timeshares, but hopefully the owners of those units are covered or can have their ownership transferred to other units. We stayed at Summer Bay Resort in December 2010 on our last trip to Disney...it's a beautiful place and if we hadn't decided to stay on property would have probably picked it again this year for our December trip (we know someone who has RCI ownership there). So sad for all the people who are in the midst of their 'dream vacation'...I hope they are able to be put up somewhere and can salvage some of their trip :( I can't even imagine!

Does anyone have a link to the map of Kissimmee housing developments? Wondering if Summer Bay is close to Terra Verde, where we'll stay soon?

Remember a year ago a Tampa man died when his house fell into a sink hole in the middle of the night as he slept? Awful.

TIA,

KC

Does anyone have a link to the map of Kissimmee housing developments? Wondering if Summer Bay is close to Terra Verde, where we'll stay soon?

Remember a year ago a Tampa man died when his house fell into a sink hole in the middle of the night as he slept? Awful.

TIA,

KC

My favorite map:
The Dibb

What a scary (and almost unthinkable) news story :sad2: . Those poor folks on vacation at that resort. I can't even fathom something like that happening.

My husband works there. I'm in shock. Its such a
random thing. Thank goodness no one was hurt!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter