Resort Change by Disney

Except it is not an increase in the number of guests. DVC typically runs at or near 100% occupancy year-round. That’s how timeshares work. So, what difference does it make if the villa is occupied by an owner or a family that Disney moved there? The rooms are fully occupied either way.
And the theme parks are normally open, drawing the vast major of those staying onsite.

With the theme parks closed through July 10, the primary form of onsite entertainment becomes the pools.

Once the theme parks reopen, most onsite Guests are likely to head to the theme parks. Until then ...

This has to do with informing DVC members that the timeshares that they own at are going to be much more crowded than they would thing based on availability on the DVC member website.

Short of a room booking category being completely unavailable, there is absolutely no way to determine how many rooms are available in a given resort based on the DVC member website. If it shows a room available, there might be just 1 or there might be 30; the system doesn't tell us that.

In addition, DVC is designed to run at 100% occupancy everyday and every member should know that it's always going to be completely booked or darn close to it. Anyone looking at the DVC member website as a metric for occupancy level for a given resort is using a highly inaccurate method. The rooms will be filled eventually.

The DVC resort you're staying at will always be mostly booked or at capacity. You may not realize it once you're there due each family's touring style, but you should plan on it being busy.

Not in their shoes but if you picked a vacation based on dvc availability looking for a quiet getaway you certainly weren’t notified by disney about the increased guests - the prior comment was that op responded to was that disney had been upfront about changes to dvc owners.
There is almost never an expectation of a quiet or empty resort. DVC occupancy is almost always above 90% if not higher, even at the less popular resorts and especially in the Summer it just takes them longer to fill.

And the theme parks are normally open, drawing the vast major of those staying onsite.

With the theme parks closed through July 10, the primary form of onsite entertainment becomes the pools.

Once the theme parks reopen, most onsite Guests are likely to head to the theme parks. Until then ...

This is logical and a valid concern, but has absolutely nothing to do with more or less guests being moved to a given DVC resort. The resort will be busy regardless of whether the mix of guests is all DVC members or more cash guests. The issues you brought while valid, will yield the same result.

Short of a room booking category being completely unavailable, there is absolutely no way to determine how many rooms are available in a given resort based on the DVC member website. If it shows a room available, there might be just 1 or there might be 30; the system doesn't tell us that.
When difficult-to-book rooms such as Studios at VGF or BCV are 100% available until July 11, it's pretty obvious DVC member attendance will be lite.

Even Value Rooms at Jambo House are showing availability up to July 10. After July 10 (i.e. once the theme parks reopen), availability drops to close to normal.

This is logical and a valid concern, but has absolutely nothing to do with more or less guests being moved to a given DVC resort. The resort will be busy regardless of whether the mix of guests is all DVC members or more cash guests. The issues you brought while valid, will yield the same result.
If Disney opened some hotels, and spread its cash Guests out among those hotels, then everyone (both DVC and non-DVC members) would have more space, making social distancing much easier every for everyone.

If they are moving people with dates through July 11th, then I do not see them opening any WDW hotels prior to that date.

I think the reason, from reports, they may not be dealing with people who will be there once parks opne is the ticket issue. Sounded like. if a guest had a stay during non park and park times, they had to give up tickets,

I wonder if it has to do with the park reservation system. It will only pick up trips with that July 11th date?
Sorry should have been clearer—I meant parks might be in previews on July 5. Agree resorts won’t be.

When difficult-to-book rooms such as Studios at VGF or BCV are 100% available until July 11, it's pretty obvious DVC member attendance will be lite.

Even Value Rooms at Jambo House are showing availability up to July 10. After July 10 (i.e. once the theme parks reopen), availability drops to close to normal.
The majority of cash guests are being moved once the parks open after July 11.

If Disney opened some hotels, and spread its cash Guests out among those hotels, then everyone (both DVC and non-DVC members) would have more space, making social distancing much easier every for everyone.
Yes, it would be better for everyone, but it's just not how DVC is designed to operate. And unfortunately, it appears that Disney will only open as many resorts as they see fit, but evidently not all of them. I agree that I do find it interesting how social distancing will work at nearly full resorts and how that compares to parks that are supposed to operate at significantly reduced capacity.

That's interesting.

The overwhelming majority of Disney rooms are non-DVC. At least some hotels will have to open after July 11 to accommodate those with cash reservations who still intend to visit.

For example, there are 5 Value Resorts. All 5 might not open on July 11 but, presumably, 2 or 3 will. For example, those at AOA might get moved to POP or elsewhere, while those at POP will stay where they are. After July 11, there's simply not enough rooms available at DVC Resorts to fit all Guests.

Again, my concern is not about what happens after July 11, when the theme parks become the primary form of entertainment. My concern is what happens at the pools before the theme parks open, when the pools are the primary form of entertainment for onsite Guests.

Cost is too high to do that. They aren't going to spend the money to run/staff resorts when they can consolidate. It sucks, but it makes sense.

For example, there are 5 Value Resorts. All 5 might not open on July 11 but, presumably, at least 2 or 3 will. For example, those at AOA might get moved to POP or elsewhere, while those at POP will stay where they are. After July 11, there's simply not enough rooms available at DVC Resorts to fit all Guests.
There are a whole lot of people, myself included, who are anxious to hear what non-DVC resorts are going to open. This an unprecedented time Disney and I think they are trying to perform a balancing act between guest satisfaction, safety, and business. I think we all have our varying opinions on how well they are doing!

This has nothing to do with breakage, which is capped at 2.5% of a DVC Resort's budget. In other words, Disney pockets 100% of any DVC Resort revenue gained through cash rentals once this revenue reaches 2.5.% of that DVC Resort's total budget. DVC Resort revenue from breakage often reaches this 2.5% cap, thus the excess funds Disney collects from this additional revenue goes fully to corporate Disney, not to reduce DVC Maintenance Fees. As a result, DVC members pay costs caused by these non-DVC members (e.g. additional staff, wear-and-tear, etc.) without being compensated for it. When you rent a hotel room from Disney, Disney pays those costs. Because of the 2.5% cap, DVC members end up paying those costs.

This has to do with informing DVC members that the timeshares that they own at are going to be much more crowded than they would thing based on availability on the DVC member website.

All of us (both DVC and non-DVC members) are being crammed into the few resorts that Disney is legally obligated to reopen because of Florida timeshare statues.

And because of the 2.5% cap, DVC members are bearing the cost.

All true but all the way it works. And yes, all rooms go to breakage in 60 days and everything above cap goes to Disney.

Jambo might be showing availability for DVC booking, but there is no indication by Disney that the resort is going to be open.

The fact that “difficult to book” DVC villas are available until July 11th should be a good indication that the resorts are not going to be as busy as you think during the time when parks are not open.

Has that been confirmed? With a few rare exceptions, I thought they aren't dealing with reservations that extend past July 11th yet. They may move cash guests from hotels to DVC for that time period, but at this point I don't think we can say with certainly it is happening or will happen, much less than the majority of moves are after that date.

Personally, I think WDW is trying to get an idea of how many folks with reservations will actually come. I have a feeling they will need to make some hard decisions on who/what gets canceled at least for that initial opening week. Hopefully not, but it's possible.

This is just not true. I just checked dates 7/18 - 7/25 just to get an idea, and nearly every room type is available at every resort. Normal availability a month out would maybe have an SSR studio and that is about it.

I don't think Disney is going to make a decision on opening additional resorts unless the current DVC resorts are 100% full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter