Resort Change by Disney

I think I understand what you are getting at...

I have ASMo booked for July 25-29. If my resort is closed and I call to be moved (whether free or pay) and there’s nothing available because June people were allowed to move their dates. My only option is to modify to different dates. Highly problematic for us as we have a “safe” dvc stay ahead of our movies stay. Definitely not fair and not a good way to do business but I’m hoping Disney is taking the current booked reservations into account when allowing people to book at that time.

Is this what you are concerned about?
As someone with a late July reservation, I totally agree with this.

I have a suspicion that they are not as booked as we might think... hence letting people modify to a date after 7/11. I think if Disney was already overbooked for the opening, they would only let guests modify to a later date... I’m just holding on to hope that those of us with mid-July dates will be able to go and get into parks at least 75% of the days we have tickets for...

almost everyone that I’ve seen on Facebook has cancelled. On a recent “are you going in September” post, 193 commenters said they have cancelled their reservations due to masks, fireworks, characters, etc. I’m thinking way more people cancelled than we know of.

also wondering... Disney is much larger than universal. Disney should have a LOT more room and as we’ve seen, universal is very slow right now. Thoughts?

I called five times today. The first time the CM told me I could only cancel or modify to between 7/11-12/31 and pay the upgrade difference. The second CM put me through to the "special team" the wait said more than 60 minutes, so I decided to go for my run and call back later. The third and fourth CM told me the same as the first, could only modify to 7/11-12/31 and pay difference. Finally the fifth CM put me through to the "special team" where I waited only about 10 minutes.

I was originally at ASSp 7/4-7/18 preferred room. I was upgraded at no cost to SSR preferred deluxe studio.

I also have a reservation 7/8-7/22 so I'll wait to see what's going on with those dates before deciding exactly what to do.

Congrats! Was your original reservation booked directly with Disney?

I have ASMo booked for July 25-29. If my resort is closed and I call to be moved (whether free or pay) and there’s nothing available because June people were allowed to move their dates. My only option is to modify to different dates. Highly problematic for us as we have a “safe” dvc stay ahead of our movies stay. Definitely not fair and not a good way to do business but I’m hoping Disney is taking the current booked reservations into account when allowing people to book at that time.

Yes. And I do get what Sandi is saying too. I do. A June closed resort comes before a July closed one regardless of park status. I just feel a valid later one shouldn’t get bumped bc of allowing earlier ones to modify. Sorry if I’m not making sense. I don’t have a problem with earlier filling in open space as long as some space is reserved for existing later ones too.

I have a suspicion that they are not as booked as we might think... hence letting people modify to a date after 7/11. I think if Disney was already overbooked for the opening, they would only let guests modify to a later date... I’m just holding on to hope that those of us with mid-July dates will be able to go and get into parks at least 75% of the days we have tickets for...

almost everyone that I’ve seen on Facebook has cancelled. On a recent “are you going in September” post, 193 commenters said they have cancelled their reservations due to masks, fireworks, characters, etc. I’m thinking way more people cancelled than we know of.

also wondering... Disney is much larger than universal. Disney should have a LOT more room and as we’ve seen, universal is very slow right now. Thoughts?
I agree with that, well said.

Bingo and less of a concern and more of pointing out I couldn't see Disney doing that.
I can’t see them doing that either. Hoping they have way more capacity than I’m thinking. I know someone posted a few days ago that they tried to move their June reservation to July but nothing was available.

I have a suspicion that they are not as booked as we might think... hence letting people modify to a date after 7/11. I think if they were already overbooked for the opening, they would only let guests modify to a later date... I’m just holding on to hope that those of us with mid July dates will be able to go and get into parks at least 75% of the days we have tickets for...

almost everyone that I’ve seen on Facebook has cancelled. On a recent “are you going in September” post, 193 commenters said they have cancelled their reservations due to masks, fireworks, etc. I’m thinking way more people cancelled than we know of.

also wondering... Disney is much larger than universal. They will have a LOT more room and as we’ve seen, universal is very slow right now. Thoughts?
Yes! When you look at the numbers Universal is sporting for occupancy in their parks and hotels, it's not looking as if there's a surge of people coming and filling things up. Plus, when Disney froze reservations, there was almost every single category of room at every single resort open. Even DVC members have reported a lot of availability on their end. It makes me think they're not overbooked.

I can’t see them doing that either. Hoping they have way more capacity than I’m thinking. I know someone posted a few days ago that they tried to move their June reservation to July but nothing was available.
But then someone else reported the dates they moved to in late July had several resorts available, so who knows what the real deal is? It's all so confusing!

ETA: This is part of why I'm so frustrated by Disney right now. They're leaving it so that all we can do is make conjectures about the little information they do release and people's reports of what they're experiencing. I sincerely hope they start to announce something this week about the new park reservation system and those of us with reservations for the after the parks open.

Yes. And I do get what Sandi is saying too. I do. A June closed resort comes before a July closed one regardless of park status. I just feel a valid later one shouldn’t get bumped bc of allowing earlier ones to modify. Sorry if I’m not making sense. I don’t have a problem with earlier filling in open space as long as some space is reserved for existing later ones too.
I agree with her as well. And you are making sense. None of us want to get bumped but the June guests certainly deserve to rebook when parks are open.

But then someone else reported the dates they moved to in late July had several resorts available, so who knows what the real deal is? It's all so confusing!
We honestly haven’t had a lot of data on this yet. Most seem to be pushing their trips further out.
And yes, lots available on dvc side, so many have rescheduled from dvc bookings. We would also but we can’t go again before our points expire so we are without another option.

I posted this on another thread with no answer so thought I would try here. We are a split Poly/AKL Jambo staying on rented DVC points. We received an email to confirm about the Poly July 2-4. We haven’t received anything about AKL-J July 4-11. Since AKL-J will be closed, will DISNEY move us (prolly to Kidani) or does that move need to be through the rental company and then DVC? Starting to panic that we will only have a resort for two nights of our stay. Any words of wisdom?

I agree with this sentiment. If someone has a confirmed reservation while Walt Disney Resort hotels are open, then that reservation should be accommodated- especially if that hotel is mainly closed because Disney is trying to save money by not having to staff it. Moreover, if your reservation can't be accommodated because others were given first-preference and switched to your previously-book travel dates, thus not allowing you the same courtesy to move, then that would certainly seem frustrating. I'm not feeling anxious or frustrated about this currently, but I do understand the reasoning.

Last edited:
I called five times today. The first time the CM told me I could only cancel or modify to between 7/11-12/31 and pay the upgrade difference. The second CM put me through to the "special team" the wait said more than 60 minutes, so I decided to go for my run and call back later. The third and fourth CM told me the same as the first, could only modify to 7/11-12/31 and pay difference. Finally the fifth CM put me through to the "special team" where I waited only about 10 minutes.

I was originally at ASSp 7/4-7/18 preferred room. I was upgraded at no cost to SSR preferred deluxe studio.

I also have a reservation 7/8-7/22 so I'll wait to see what's going on with those dates before deciding exactly what to do.

So that sounds like Disney is first trying to get people to pay for an upgrade or move and if someone pushes back they get the special team in on it who upgades for free.

It's not the first time they've gone that route but I admit I'm a bit surprised it's what their doing in this situation.

Totally agree.

And the fact that The 15s almost assuredly won't be able to come therefore opening up HUGE numbers of Value and Moderate July rooms cannot be overstated.

I agree and I have seen very little,..if any.l...people who got July. But, again, as soon as other resorts open, those with the later dates, if they are given a chance to move, will have more options because I do believe WDW hotels will be opening at some point in July.

My predication is July 18th, once all 4 parks are open

I called and they had us a family of 5 adults in a Saratoga studio...they claim that is all they can give us, so now they are looking into it...

I wouldn’t be at all happy with that move, hope they fix it for you!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter