Resort Bus After Parade/Fireworks

HLAuburn

DIS Veteran
We are normally the ones who weave through the parade crowds to get to the bus or monorail before the huge crowds head for the doors. This time, though, we think we might want to stay and watch the MK parade and fireworks. Any tips for catching the bus back to the resort? I know as soon as the last firework goes off, there's a mad stampede for the buses, but I was hoping to avoid a huge crowd.

Maybe watch the parade close to the entrance and start to head out 1/2 way through Wishes? Is there any chance of not having to wait a long time for the bus and being stuffed in like sardines or should we just plan for it? :headache:

Thanks!

We always wait for an hour or so after the parade for the crowds to thin. You didn't say where you are staying, if it is Pop or All Star it could still be crowded even after an hour. But if you don't mind missing part of the parade/fireworks, I think your plan would work well.

Maybe watch the parade close to the entrance and start to head out 1/2 way through Wishes?

Thousands already do that.

In fact, thousands will be exiting even before Wishes starts, so the buses (and monorails and ferry boats) will already be busy.

If you exit near the end of the day, it's busy.

Finding a spot to sit and wait for the park to clear is what we do.

I'd hate to cut short a major fireworks show or parade just to try to catch a bus.

Thousands already do that.

In fact, thousands will be exiting even before Wishes starts, so the buses (and monorails and ferry boats) will already be busy.

If you exit near the end of the day, it's busy.

Finding a spot to sit and wait for the park to clear is what we do.

I'd hate to cut short a major fireworks show or parade just to try to catch a bus.

I agree completely! :thumbsup2 We never try to battle the crowds at the end of the day. Stay and enjoy Wishes! It's so very worth it! We usually see Wishes on a pm emh night so we're heading to rides while most are leaving. You could also shop or like Robo said just find a nice place to sit and relax while the mad rush to the buses takes place. In the end, I think you'll be happier to have not tried to battle the crowd. :crowded:

Stay until the Kiss Goodnight (the MK closing announcement/castle lights)

I left right after Wishes in January. I got in the Resort monorail line since the express line was all the way to the turnstiles:scared1:

My fiance waited until the Kiss, leisurely strolled out, and got off the express monorail 3 minutes after I got to the TTC from the resort line.

Agree with the others, but will add one thing....... Make sure you use the restroom BEFORE you get in the bus line, who knows when you'll get another chance.

we also loiter 'til most of the crowd has thinned... the last trip or two i even brought our little guy's pjs and changed him into a nighttime diaper and his pajamas in the bathroom before we left the park (gave him a mini-bath w/baby wipes! LOL!)... that way when he fell asleep on the bus (inevitable), we had no worries... just put him in the stroller off the bus and went back to the room and rolled him into bed... perfect ending to a perfect day!!! (i plan to do it again too!)

oops. after I read about the "kiss goodnight" (which, after 18 trips, I know nothing about) I forgot why I orignally wanted to post!!

if you stand on Main street near the Watch factory on the right.(facing the castle).. you will be NEAR the exit... but they only shut down the light from the watch factory forward.. so you will still get the full effect. (from the watch factory back,. towards the railroad station and exit, it is lit up.. ruins the effects (IMO). have fun!

we were at MK in July.. wishes was at 10...park closed at 11... BUt they did an electric light parade at 11.... and we stayed for the kiss goodnight which was at 12:15 that night.

Kiss Goodnight on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0GP1qTLU4&feature=related

this video is better..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtCnNfVtePA&feature=related

the castle lights change.. they play when you wish upon a star... and thank you for coming...talk about walts dream and mickey says "goodnight everybody" (Voice only) a peaceful , pleasant ending ..no crowds and then no crowds as you stroll mainstreet and then no crowds at the busses!!

we also loiter 'til most of the crowd has thinned... the last trip or two i even brought our little guy's pjs and changed him into a nighttime diaper and his pajamas in the bathroom before we left the park (gave him a mini-bath w/baby wipes! LOL!)... that way when he fell asleep on the bus (inevitable), we had no worries... just put him in the stroller off the bus and went back to the room and rolled him into bed... perfect ending to a perfect day!!! (i plan to do it again too!)

aw! that sounds SO COZY!!! reminds me of when I was little I we dozed off in the car on the way home from a party. or when we would wear our PJs to the drive-In theater...

aw! that sounds SO COZY!!! reminds me of when I was little I we dozed off in the car on the way home from a party. or when we would wear our PJs to the drive-In theater...

exactly!! and its soooo much less stressful for me, not having to wake him up, strip him down, change him, etc... and really, our disney vacations *are* all about ME! LOL! :rotfl2:

In previous trips, my wife and I used to just hang out in Main Street after Wishes until the park looked pretty empty, and only then head to the buses. It was a good way to relax and find souvenirs, and honestly one of my favorite parts our day in the MK.

This time, we were there with my sister, who was exhausted and wanted to leave right after the fireworks. Oh my god, worst decision ever. She almost passed out on the line to the monorail (Btw, big thanks to the nice woman who gave her her juice box and water bottle...in case you post here, you were our hero that night!). As tired as she was, it would have been a lot healthier to just hang out in the park and wait for the crowds to leave.

In previous trips, my wife and I used to just hang out in Main Street after Wishes until the park looked pretty empty, and only then head to the buses. It was a good way to relax and find souvenirs, and honestly one of my favorite parts our day in the MK.

This sounds like it's going to be our best option. I just have to convince DH that we don't have to make a mad dash for the bus!

Do the stores on Main St stay open for awhile after Wishes ends?
And what time do the buses stop running? I know DH is going to freak out about not being able to get a bus back to the resort.

Thanks again for all the responses :)

I think if you have this mindset that you need to be on the bus ASAP then you will end up frustrated. If you take the opportunity to think where you are, that you're on vacation, and there is no reason to rush, the wait is much easier to cope with. I'd totally hang around and wait for the crowd to thin out!

This sounds like it's going to be our best option. I just have to convince DH that we don't have to make a mad dash for the bus!

Do the stores on Main St stay open for awhile after Wishes ends?
And what time do the buses stop running? I know DH is going to freak out about not being able to get a bus back to the resort.

Thanks again for all the responses :)

Don't worry! The shops on Main Street will stay open at least 30 minutes after the park closes, and usually up to 60-90 minutes on busy days. And in Summer, the park actually closes an hour after Wishes starts!

As far as the buses, I've mostly stayed in Downtown Disney area hotels, and their buses run up to 90 minutes after park closing. I think Disney resort buses run until later (I've been on the last downtown Disney bus, and I still see a lot of traffic from the Disney resort buses), but definitely at least 60-90 minutes after the park closes.

Someone here should know the exact info. In my experience though, I've never stressed over missing a Disney bus, I've never rushed to the exit, and I've never been left stranded in a park.

So don't let the husband stress... if the park is still crowded, it means the stores will remain open and the buses will continue running. And once you see the crowds are down, you can get to your bus without any of the stress. :thumbsup2

When is the Kiss Goodnight? And how late do the stores stay open after the end of Wishes?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the shops on Main Street stay open for one hour after the park closing. We always sit over by the ice cream shop at the end of Main Street and watch the crowds leave and relax for a while, then we leave when the park is virtually empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter