residence inn by marriott anaheim maingate

saskdw

DIS Veteran
WDW veteran here considering a trip to DL. Haven't been to DL since I was a child 30 years ago. We love WDW, but are considering doing something different this year.

Looking at the neighbouring hotels with in a 5 min walk and have kind of zeroed in on this Marriott.

Anyone have any experience with this place?

Google maps shows it as .8 miles to California Adventure? That would be 7-8 min walk?

You walk quickly then. :) For me that would be a 10-12 minute walk depending on time of day and how much walking I have done already. I have seen people refer to the walk as 15 minutes. I usually stay a bit closer, so I haven't tried this hotel myself. I have acquaintances who really enjoyed it though because their family could spread out in the large space, and they liked the hot breakfast and the weeknight "dinners" as cost savers.

Stayed there last year. I'm a big fan of Residence Inns because they usually have more space in the rooms. Same with this one and it also had a full size kitchen. Don't know if that's standard for all the rooms there. It can vary from RI to RI. If you watched the video you saw that this hotel has that bungalow feel with the buildings being just two stories. The walk to the parks isn't bad but you do have to cross the roads a couple times. You get a free hot breakfast at RI's. It wasn't bad for free food. It did feel a little dated but nothing terrible. Hope this helps.

When are you coming? I like the Residence Inn Maingate, but with the new SpingHill Suites Anaheim Resort Convention Center, the new Courtyard (opening this summer) and the new Residence Inn going in next door to the SpingHill Suites, those would be my first three choices. Maybe the new Hyatt House too.

These hotels are all brand new and closer than the RI Maingate.

http://www.anaheimcourtyard.com/#home-detail
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snaad-springhill-suites-at-anaheim-resort-convention-center/
http://www.gfaarchitects.com/portfolio-item/marriott-residence-inn-anaheim-ca/
http://anaheimresort.house.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

a place to visit if you are on vacation. great foliage, tall palm trees, space between units, hot tubs, shallow pool though, great breakfast, BBQ, and Marriott takes care of all the OCDs problems of hotel staying. but if you are in the park from opening to close then not the economical choice. Two ARTs stop close by and can be walked if you are in shape and kids are up to the task.

It's a nice place if you're on a long vacation (like a week or more) because you can save money by buying and cooking your own breakfast (and other meals if so inclined). It also has a lot of space for larger families. That being said, it's pricy, so if you're going for only a few days, try some of the closer hotels. I'm really excited about the new Courtyard opening at the end of August personally, as it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the esplanade. I agree on any of the closer hotels someone mentioned above actually. The Springhill is nice, too, and there's a CVS attached, so it's easy to get what you need quickly.

When are you coming? I like the Residence Inn Maingate, but with the new SpingHill Suites Anaheim Resort Convention Center, the new Courtyard (opening this summer) and the new Residence Inn going in next door to the SpingHill Suites, those would be my first three choices. Maybe the new Hyatt House too.

These hotels are all brand new and closer than the RI Maingate.

http://www.anaheimcourtyard.com/#home-detail
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snaad-springhill-suites-at-anaheim-resort-convention-center/
http://www.gfaarchitects.com/portfolio-item/marriott-residence-inn-anaheim-ca/
http://anaheimresort.house.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

a place to visit if you are on vacation. great foliage, tall palm trees, space between units, hot tubs, shallow pool though, great breakfast, BBQ, and Marriott takes care of all the OCDs problems of hotel staying. but if you are in the park from opening to close then not the economical choice. Two ARTs stop close by and can be walked if you are in shape and kids are up to the task.

It's a nice place if you're on a long vacation (like a week or more) because you can save money by buying and cooking your own breakfast (and other meals if so inclined). It also has a lot of space for larger families. That being said, it's pricy, so if you're going for only a few days, try some of the closer hotels. I'm really excited about the new Courtyard opening at the end of August personally, as it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the esplanade. I agree on any of the closer hotels someone mentioned above actually. The Springhill is nice, too, and there's a CVS attached, so it's easy to get what you need quickly.

We're looking at about 10 night stay starting around Dec. 1st.

No kids this trip, just myself and DW.

We are typically onsite people at WDW and UO where we usually vacation. Not sure I want to pay the price for onsite at DL with so many options close by. Trying to find that happy medium between onsite and not a dump! lol

Fitness center would be nice, but not a deal breaker. We would probably have 5 day hopper pass for DL, catch bus to Universal one day, bus tour to San Diego Zoo one day, not sure what else. We aren't in the parks all day people. We would probably hit the parks mid morning for 3-4 hours, take a break and go back late afternoon or evening depending on park hours. We would spend some time at the resort most likely. At WDW we usually go for 2 weeks and spend a lot of time at the resort, but with DL being new to us I imagine we will keep busier trying to see everything.

Given you are there for 10 days, this might be a good choice as you can eat in-unit as opposed to eating out everyday. I see that it's .8 miles and Google says that it is a 17 minute walk, more like 20. I hear you can walk to one of the DL parking lots and ride the tram but I am going to guess the time required is similar, the walking is less.

If it's actually only .8 miles of walking that's a 10 min walk. The podcast described it as a walk that took mins, not 20 mins. Judging by google maps I can't see anyway it takes me close to 20 mins to make that walk.

So the question is do you people actually walk to slow or is it really that far? :p

We would probably make that walk at least twice a day there and back so if it actually takes us 20 mins each way that might be farther than we want to be.

I would not do 10 nights in Anaheim. Do 4 or 5 nights in Anaheim then do the rest in a hotel by the beach in Laguna Beach. Orlando is all about the theme parks. If WDW, Universal and SW fell into a sink hole no one would ever visit Orlando again. Los Angeles is a city of major importance with world class museums, dining, shopping, theater, etc. If the theme parks went away most people in LA wouldn't notice.

Knott's Berry Farm would be on my agenda, USH would not. I might do Warner Bros if I want a studio tour.

As to hotel in Anaheim, it sounds like you don't need water slides so I would do the Springhill Suites Anaheim Resort Convention Center. I know it is hard to grasp for a WDW vet, but there are non Disney hotels closer to the main gate than the Contemp is in WDW. WDW happened the way that it did BECAUSE of what happened at DL.

This is directly in front of DL's main entrance circa 1960. You can see why Walt was so unhappy.

529632550dfbc44dd986c30132c26f9c.jpg

Well, Dec is the deal breaker, shorter hours farther out from the holiday, colder, wind cancel events. So if you like room to wait out the night, the RI has that as opposed to motel setting. On day 10, with all the activity you have posted, it will be a 15 min+ walk to security. I cannot imagine you hanging out at the BBQ in Dec, but have done that during Thanksgiving myself. Last time i was there in early Dec, it was cold and windy, and I from the PNW and the all the space with two teens made for a comfortable stay and strange food choices that teens tend to make. And it is the only place my wife will stay with all her lodging OCDs

We're looking at about 10 night stay starting around Dec. 1st.

No kids this trip, just myself and DW.

We are typically onsite people at WDW and UO where we usually vacation. Not sure I want to pay the price for onsite at DL with so many options close by. Trying to find that happy medium between onsite and not a dump! lol

Fitness center would be nice, but not a deal breaker. We would probably have 5 day hopper pass for DL, catch bus to Universal one day, bus tour to San Diego Zoo one day, not sure what else. We aren't in the parks all day people. We would probably hit the parks mid morning for 3-4 hours, take a break and go back late afternoon or evening depending on park hours. We would spend some time at the resort most likely. At WDW we usually go for 2 weeks and spend a lot of time at the resort, but with DL being new to us I imagine we will keep busier trying to see everything.
This is one of our favorite places to stay. We love a full kitchen, even though we don't cook. Full size fridge, coffee makers, toasters, microwave, and space! The hot breakfast is a major plus. It is one of the few breakfasts in the area we like. They have scrambled eggs, waffles, rotate bacon/ham/sausage, rotate pancakes/french toast/biscuits and gravy. The have potatoes, fruit, cereals, breads, juices (not the powdered stuff) and other stuff.

There is a fitness center and a pool that is open 24/7. My daughters (not fast walkers) usually walk it in 12-15 mins tops. There are also 2 ART buses that service that area if you prefer to use the bus.

How does the weather compare to December in Orlando?

Keeping in mind were from western Canada, 70 is swimming weather for us. We swim and do Blizzard Beach at WDW every December.

Problem with Anaheim is the weather changes so frequently, you really can't predict. Most years, day time temps are in the mid 60s. In 2008, day time temps dropped into the low 50s. In 2013, daytime temps were in the high 80s. When the sun goes down, it gets cool and drops into the 50s and sometimes 40s.

malcon10t is so right about the weather, because weeks prior to her 2013 christamas visit, the week after candle was cold and windy, all the cal folks dressed like February Canadians. I was seeking sun in late afternoon and was never warm during that week. though I was dressed in shorts and PNW pullovers . though that Wednesday was grand in the week. anyhow, as an adult, i don't think you will like the RI pool, but really like the seclusion of the hot tubs about the grounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter