Reservations Problems - FW

Judy

Mom to Special Angels
I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, forgive me...I'm new here.

We have been going to Disney World at least once a year for about 12 years. We always stay in Ft Wilderness from a week to a month. Never any problem getting reservations before now.

For many weeks my wife tried to make reservations at FW for Christmas 2007. (We already have reservations for Christmas 2006, so no problem there.) We were told for weeks that reservations weren't open yet for the time period we were looking for and to try later. Eventually we were told the dates would open up on a certain date at 7:00 a.m. ET.

That morning my wife was on the phone at 7:00 a.m and was told the dates were sold out. They said there was one site available, but it was too small for our 37 foot motorhome and 12 foot special needs cargo trailer. They advised us to try each day to see if a cancellation had been made and we could then reserve for one day at a time. (We were trying for about a 21 day reservation.)

Everyone seems to agree that it is inconceivable that all the FW campsites could have sold out in the space of a few minutes that morning, but they insisted that's what their screen showed and they could not do anything about it. They continued to tells us to try for the cancellation route to get one day at a time.

So far we have been unsuccessful in getting ANY reservation for Dec 2007, and have been unable to get anyone to admit that there is a problem.

Have you ever experienced anything like this, and if so, what can be done.

I have spent this morning trying to find a "contact us" address on the WDW website with no luck. Anything resembling such an address will not open.."page not found" or "site not responding".

We travel for the benefit of our four children and occasional foster children who are all wheelchair bound with a variety of medical and mental disabilities and delays, but who thoroughly enjoy their trips to WDW.

The amount of medical equipment we travel with makes it impossible for us to consider staying in one of the more conventional resorts, so FW has been a fantastic opportiunity for us. There has to be someone who can answer the reservations problem and who can set things right. We just don't know how to find them or reach them.

Help!!!??? And thanks in advance.

Ken Hammett
Judy and four angels
37' Itasca Suncruiser
12' Cargo trailer

Hi Judy & Ken -

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Reservations open 500 days from check out. I would call back and have them book you for as many days as possible. There is a chance that one or two nights are not available and it than doesn't allow for the whole thing to be booked. Also, I have never booked a client at the campsite for that long but I know with resort rooms there is a 14 night limit and than you have to split the ressie in 2, maybe that is part of your issue.

Good luck

I know in years past (I'm sure you know too) that there have been Winter Settler rates at Ft. Wilderness and you had to book something like at least 2 weeks at the resort. So I don't think it's an issue with your stay being too long. I find it REALLY hard to believe that the campsites could all be sold out this far in advance, especially since things like the Winter Settler rates aren't even out yet. Have you tried booking it on the WDW website? How about sites like Expedia and Travelocity? How about a Disney travel agent (Mouseketrips, Your Magical Journeys, Kingdom Konsultants, etc). I don't know what else to tell you except to keep calling back and maybe ask for a supervisor. I hope you end up getting your campsite!

1) Sorry, but FW is selling out FAST, FAST, FAST for popular dates.
2) I have seen holiday weeks sell out in less than 20-minutes.
3) Just keep trying for a cancellation.

NOTE: As a side note, FW has become an RV park for people who don't do WDW parks. The Central Florida area has had THREE major RV parks close within the past two years. They were sold to home/condo developers. In two cases, the RV parks remain empty because the developers won't even start work until next year. So, those folks now go to FW as a default.

It is getting harder and harder to get a reservation. You use to be able to get a reservation 3 months out, but now you if you did that you would concider yourself very lucky to get one on short notice. I would just keep calling I'm sure something good will come up for you.
Good Luck!

I remember reading here on the DIS that Disney has a special needs department, where a specialized customer service rep helps those families needing extraordinary help due to various disabilities in the family.

Perhaps you could try to contact that department and see if someone could help you, considering the extra equipment you travel with for the special needs of your foster children.

If you can't find the contact information, you might ask on the Disabilities forum.

Good luck. It sounds like you and your wife are a very special couple.

Susan

Try booking on-line and calling in. Hopefully something will work out to fit your dates and needs!
Good luck! :wave2:

I think the arguement for Disney buidling another RV resort gets stronger all the time.

I sure would like to see a Safari style resort in the Animal Kingdom area. :teeth:

Scott

Okay, I just played around on the website and it showed availability for all three kinds of sites for the dates I grabbed from my brain and plugged in--Dec 20th -Dec 27th, 2007. I don't know why CRO is telling you they don't have sites for your size rig--the sites are assigned at FW just a few days before your arrival.

If you want a ressie--make something that includes your dates and then you can drop off the unnecessary dates later.

I just tried online for dec 4-20 and all 3 type campsites are available. I also just booked a campsite for next weekend. Just keep checking.

We were also having trouble getting Christmas 2007 we started trying in early june and tried everyday online and by calling in with no luck. Then one morning in Sept. the dates opened up. We booked from December 11 2007 to January 4 2008 I am sure there is not a 14 day limit. What I found was that if I booked shorter stays the availability mysteriously dissapeared even though the dates were there when booked as part of a longer stay. Who knows why. The days we wanted stayed available for over 3 weeks after we booked so our good luck was not a result of a cancelation. My advice is to keep trying as often as you can and mix up the days you may get lucky. I am sure that they are not sold out but for some reason have holds placed on some of the sites. lol

I just went to reservations online, and checked on December 1-31st. Partial and Full hook-up available!!!!!!

We tried online and couldnt get anything other than partial hookup for 2007. CRO only had one day available so we took that and will build on it.
It does seem to be getting tougher to get ressies. Maybe we should have all kept our pie holes shut :guilty: it looks like our secret is out.

They have been limiting redservations. I have been there several times when FW is "sold out" and seen entire loops empty. This seems to be the new system, where they will open new sites for reservations as the previous sections fill up. I have seen this with some of the hotels also. I would guess it works for times when they are tight on staff and can then assign the staff where needed.

Plans for a FW addition have been on the drawing boards for some time and hopefully they will make it to the construction stage before I check into that final RV Park.

When I made our reservation for next weekend just 2 weeks ago, the online system did not show any availability. I got the same response when I called the CRO but they took all of my information including address and e-mail. With in the week I got an e-mail from them stating that there was a site available with a link to reserve it! I didn't even have to call back.

Has any one else had this experience? Seems to have been driven by my phone call.

Happy Camping,
Al

Just 9 days to FW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter