Reservation upgrade / point transfer question

dheinle

Earning My Ears
Here is my situation and I need some advice on how to best proceed.

We have a 50 point contract at AKV, February use year

I made a reservation for may 2010 for a 145 points buy banking all of 09, using all of '10 and borrowing 45 from 11'.

This is for a 1 bedroom for 5 nights. My brother would like to join us and I said we could rent / transfer points, change it to a 2 bedroom and he can pay me the difference. It's 50 more points to upgrade 1 to 2 bedroom.

What is the best way to do this? Do I just need a 50 point transfer?
After the transfer do I just cancel the reservation and re-book? Can I upgrade the reservation to a 2 bedroom?

Can I even do this?

Thanks for any input or suggestions, this is my first DVC reservation.

Dennis

A 50 point transfer should work but you'd have to cancel, then rebook it. It's tough because there could be a 2BR available, and by the time the transer goes through and you try to book, it could be gone.

This is for a 1 bedroom for 5 nights. My brother would like to join us and I said we could rent / transfer points, change it to a 2 bedroom and he can pay me the difference. It's 50 more points to upgrade 1 to 2 bedroom.

What is the best way to do this?

encourage your brother to rent a studio at AKV on his own. (i've heard too many stories of family members changing plans at the last minute and leaving the DVC owner in the lurch.)

Do I just need a 50 point transfer?

well, if you want to get a 2BR, then yes.

After the transfer do I just cancel the reservation and re-book? Can I upgrade the reservation to a 2 bedroom?

as long as there is still availability and you get a transfer from an owner at AKV, you can cancel the 1BR and book the 2BR, yes.

encourage your brother to rent a studio at AKV on his own. (i've heard too many stories of family members changing plans at the last minute and leaving the DVC owner in the lurch.)

This is some great advice

as long as there is still availability and you get a transfer from an owner at AKV, you can cancel the 1BR and book the 2BR, yes.[/QUOTE]

I still have 9 months so it might not be a problem.

How long does it take for a points transfer usually?

How long does it take for a points transfer usually?

it is fairly quick once the call is made...maybe a few days.

the problem is in finding someone willing to do the transfer. only one transfer per year is allowed so they can be difficult to come by. (also be aware that MS discourages transfers made for compensation, as they technically violate the terms of your contract.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter