Resale vs. Disney..comments please

elvis loves disney

I love Las Vegas and Disney World..Good thing I li
Hi all,
I have been doing a lot of research on buying a resale and buying direct from Disney. I have been in touch with Disney and with The Timeshare Store and both have given me useful information.

I have a friend who bought from Disney and gave me their opinion and a friend that bought resale who has done the same.

Anyone who can comment on The Timeshare Store or direct from Disney or if you have done both would be appreciated.

I look forward to your replies and any information.

elvis loves disney

I bought direct from Disney last year under the friends and family promotion, so the price was good. We wanted to buy at SSR because of the longer term. We also planned to finance and it was very simple through Disney. I like that they take the payment and dues out directly every month.
I could get however many points I wanted, divided however I wanted (well one contract was 150 points). At the time there were no closing costs. I know there are now, but I' don't know how they compare to a resale. With add-ons through Disney there are no closing costs. I also didn't have to worry about ROFR either.
So essentially I called Disney told them what I wanted, gave a $500 deposit via debit card over the phone, got my papers a couple days later sent them back with remainder of downpayment and I was done.
Can't get any easier than that.

I've done both. Originally bought resale (Timeshare Store) and then added on through Disney. Both were quite easy. Resale generally less expensive. My only advise: buy where you want to stay! We liked BCV and BWV locations, Kids liked SAB, but we bought at BWV. The main reason was that in order to get a Grand Villa or "standard" rooms, you have to book at 11 months and we couldn't do that unless we owned at BWV. As it turns out, my kids use the BWV Community Hall and tennis courts much more than SAB, so it worked out well.

I have done both as well. You can buy a sold out resort through Disney too. I bought Boardwalk through them last year. I was not picky on UY and within the week or two I was making a vacation. They are very easy to deal with and you get all of the paperwork. With the Timeshare Store, if you shop for the right deal, you should get some banked points. This is free money or a free vacation, ever how you choose to look at it. They also have sold out resorts. You will have to deal with ROFR with them. I just had one sail through. I was shocked. I received a full year of banked points with the sale. If I had went with Disney on that one, there would not have been any banked points, and the price per point would have been the same. I called them, it was at BeachClub. I had heard that there was a years waiting list for Beachclub. I guess you need to decide where you want to buy, check both places and see who has the best deal.

I have called Disney and the Timeshare Store for information and both are very helpful. I am waiting to receive the information and look forward to more responses from everyone with experiences.
GO COLTS!

Last year was our first Disney vacation, and our first stay at a DVC resort. I have decided I will return to disney every year for the rest of my life. I expect I should buy into DVC. I want to visit more of the resorts before I do.

We have purchased direct from Disney (twice) and through TTS (once) as well as selling one contract through TTS.

The process was quicker through Disney--no ROFR to mess with, but we saved $ when we went through TTS.

Overall, both were good experiences. I would recommend either one.

We bought through the Timeshare Store in October. We paid less and it was super simple. The closing even went faster than expected. We were in the system in less than 1 week.

Unless you require the min. buy in thru DVC, you need to find a resale.

Recommend the TS store highly:thumbsup2 class act all the way.

We really enjoyed sweating out the ROFR process (builds charactar;) )and became the proud owners @ WLV:banana: in matter of 2 months.

Promptly added on @ BWV directly thru our DVC guide.

Now we await CRV:wizard: , to allow us to enjoy 11 month window @ each home resort every 3rd year.

btw, much easier to divest yourself of smaller contracts & they seem to command a higher resale $ too.

Additionally, good to not finance imo; easier for us to handle in small bites.

Good luck!

I too have done both, and done both numerous times.

For me, I only purchase triples from TTS. (Last Year's points banked into the current Use Year, all of the current UY points available, and all of next UY's points untouched). I am happy to pay a premium for these contracts, as in the past I would rent out the 'excess points' and reduce my net cost.

However, with the crack down on Commercial Renting by the DVC, you have to decide if that strategy is workable.

I also purchased direct from Disney when they had good deals. (Extra developer points, current points, free annual passes, etc).

Disney is fast, easy and stress free, TTS is great service (I highly recommend Jason) and if you are patient and enjoy a 'process' can save you lots of money.

Best of luck!

-Tony

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter