Resale owner (since 2014) no merchandise discount using the Shop Parks App

PacoDF

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I own only one contract, bought resale early 2014 and earlier this year I got a new blue membership card by mail.

Haven't been to WDW after April 4th, 2016 (when they announced the new policy about perks for resale buyers). Our next trip is in two weeks (MNSSHP and MVMCP woohoo! :yay:) and I've been browsing the Shop Parks App planning some shopping to get the packages delivered to our resort before our arrival and even as the App knows I'm a DVC member I'm getting no DVC discount.

I sent an email to the App support team and I just got this answer:

Thank you for your response. I regret to inform you that starting April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to discounts on merchandise. If you would like more information please go to Help Center > Discounts & Affiliations > Am I eligible for a Disney Vacation Club Discount?

So it seems that I'm not being grandfathered even as I bought 2 years before the new policy.

Somebody else is having a similar problem? Is someone like me (only resale contracts older than 4/4/2016) having problems getting discount using the App? or in person in the parks?

Will I have any trouble in the parks getting merch discount using my blue card?

Not sure if this is their actual policy (the writing of the disclaimer is really vague and even implies that there is not going to be any grandfathered resale buyers) or just is a IT problem with my account not being grandfathered in their systems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sounds like an shopping IT app issue. Lets all teach Disney a lesson and stop buying until they fix it! :-)

:earsboy: Bill

I don't get that at all from the response. Somewhere along the way they seem to think your purchase was after the Apr 4th 2016 date. You're not the first I've read that was set up with the incorrect entitlements. You should contact MS, not App support.

In the app under profile do you see DVC as an affiliation? I just tried to order something to see and its giving me a 20% discount but it says "annual passholder" and we don't have an annual pass.

In the app under profile do you see DVC as an affiliation? I just tried to order something to see and its giving me a 20% discount but it says "annual passholder" and we don't have an annual pass.

Yes, in my profile the DVC affiliation is OK. I don't have an AP.

The App phrases eligibility in a vague way that could be construed to preclude pre-April 2016 resale purchasers, and whoever sent the email construed it incorrectly (and apparently did not bother to ask around first to see if someone knew what the actual rule was). The App actually refers you to Member Benefits section in the DVC member site to get further information about eligibility for the discount. If you go to the online DVC Member site to Member Benefits and then open the Read More for the 20% discount description, it says at the bottom that the DVC members precluded are, "New purchasers after April 4, 2016" unless they purchased directly from Disney. Moreover the April 3, 2016 letter that Ken Potrock sent to everyone explaining the new policy, states:

"Now, effective April 4, 2016, Members who do not purchase their ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Club will not have access to other Membership Extras, such as exclusive Member experiences and discounts. Please know that as a current Disney Vacation Club Member (regardless of when or where you bought your membership), your access to Disney Differences and these additional Membership Extras will not be affected by this policy change."

(Emphasis in the original.) You might want go back to the email sender. point out that the member site and Mr. Potrock's letter disagrees with their construction of the availability of the discount and ask them to reconsider what they sent, and that if they still believe they are correct, that they should explain why Mr. Potrock should be disbeleived.

I just called MS. They confirm that I'm grandfathered and that I'll get merchandise discounts in person at WDW. They couldn't figure out why the discount isn't applying using the app but they insist that I should be able to get it. Their guess is that the app isn't working properly/ some kind of glitch or bug.

They suggest me to insist contacting that app support team. I've already sent a new email and I'm waiting for a new answer.

If someone else is having the same problem or already figured out this using the app Let us know! The app is really wonderful and buying in advance of the trip or from the parks with delivery to the resort is TOO convenient to just drop this and not using it. I'll keep pushing them.

I'll update when they give me answer.

I purchased direct and also have a resale contract and I do not have a discount coming up in the app either.

I purchased direct and also have a resale contract and I do not have a discount coming up in the app either.

I checked as we also have both direct and resale including a resale after the 2011 date but pre-2016. The discount does come up for me.

As mentioned it says it's an AP discount but I do not have a current AP.

I see there is free shipping that is ending today also.

I know this is an old post but seems to still be happening. I bought resale in 2013 but discount doesn't show up in the app. I confirmed my profile on the app is showing my DVC membership. When I go check out it doesn't show any discounts. I know I'm entitled for the discounts, I received on last month at HHI on-site with no issues. Anyone get any updates on this. Thanks

I know this is an old post but seems to still be happening. I bought resale in 2013 but discount doesn't show up in the app. I confirmed my profile on the app is showing my DVC membership. When I go check out it doesn't show any discounts. I know I'm entitled for the discounts, I received on last month at HHI on-site with no issues. Anyone get any updates on this. Thanks

Were the items definitely eligible for the discount? Not everything is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter