Resale or New - which would you do?

ZerasPride

DVC Member Since 2001
No one could be more surprised than me when I casually mentioned to DH that the price of points was going up in June and that it might be a good idea to add on before the increase and he said that made perfect sense!

Now for my question. Our home resort is Hilton Head which we love but I was thinking about a 50-100 point add on at BCV. DH wants to add on at Hilton Head so all our points are in one place. I am torn. I was also thinking an OKW resale or BWV resale might be a good idea because we'd have the potential of paying less per point than with the BCV through Disney. But I thought I read on this board that small contracts don't really save money in the resale market, is this true? Can someone share their resale experience (on a small contract) with me? Is it possible to get financing on a resale? How much money down would you have to put and finally do you have to buy a resale with the same use year as your original contract?

Sorry for so many questions but I am trying to cover all bases before I approach hubby again. I want to have all the facts. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you can offer.

Lisa

I think BCV is a good value if you buy 100pts now while the $5.00 offer is on. Since your not selling your points back, you can use them after you get them in August. We own at HH as well, and liked the contrast between the different resorts we bought into. I originally wanted to hold out for a single purchase at BCV. But, we bought into VWL last year as we did not want to take another WDW trip (last fall) and "lose" our money to a resort stay. Our red herring was an HH add-on last fall, but I couldn't resist the $62.00/pt with MB. We are now doing our final add-on on at BCV. We have already taken two trips and are planning two more before the year is done. I wanted to have the 11 month window at our favorite resorts. Good luck with your decision..:p

Thanks so much Johnnie for your input! I just got off the phone with my guide (he was wonderful to talk to as usual) and he explained the $5 per point rebate to me available at BCV in a way I finally understand it (lol). Anyway, I'm not sure if we can afford the 100 add on, it would come out to about $84.36 per month for 10 years plus dues. The 50 point add on is more in our price range (about $42.18 per year plus dues) but of course we can't get any incentive with a 50 point add on if we choose WLV or BCV.

Anyone else care to share their opinion/experience?

Lisa

We purchased through Disney solely because we wanted BCV. The whole "buy where you want to stay thing". We love the BC so we knew that is where we would want to be staying for the next 40 years or so. If BCV had been selling re-sale that is something we would have considered.

I am now just in the process of adding on with a resale with Hilton Head for 50 points.

And my cost is $58.00 per point with the seller paying closing costs. And this deal also gave me all 50 points which were banked from 2001 and another 50 this year.

So I think I received a pretty good deal.

I was also thinking an OKW resale or BWV resale might be a good idea because we'd have the potential of paying less per point than with the BCV through Disney.

If you are only looking at an add on of 50 points, I don't think you will end up paying less per point with a resale vs going through Disney, even if you don't get any incentive. Most sellers expect the buyer to pay the closing costs on a resale. IIRC, those run the same regardless of the number of points. Again IIRC, closing costs can run between $400-500. That will add $8 - $10 per point to your cost.

My advice is to decide how often you plan to stay at WDW vs HH. Then consider how important you think the 11 month window will be for the times you want to stay at WDW. If that window is important, then buy your 50 at either BVC or VWL (if still available).

Whatever you decide, good luck thinking it through!

If you're only going to add-on 50 points, I wouldn't bother with the resale market and would go directly through DISNEY. We've bought 2 large BWV contracts as resales but have done 25-50 point add-ons via our guide.

I also would agree with your husband and buy the 50 points at HH. If you buy them at BCV, they're not going to do you much good at the 11 month window; you'd still have to make the bulk of your BCV reservation at the 7 month window as you do now.

Good Luck,

Eros is right, if you are doing a 50 pt add-on, go through Disney.
We did a 50 and a 60 pt add-on at VB. We did the MB's there and got for $62 pt (We know we don't get our pts until Sep) but we also got our same use yr.. Doing just a 50 add-on at BCV will not get you more than a few nights at the 11 month window.....where as adding on at HH, will give you more flexabilty at all the resorts at the 7 month window, and more points to play with when you make your ressie..

We did the add on at VB, to get the 11 month window for the winter months, and it is hard to find small re-sale (50-100 pts) to buy. Going through Disney for a small add-on takes 5 minutes over the phone.:D

Unless you get a GREAT deal on a resale , I think the closing costs are going to make it better to buy through Disney. Personally, I'd go for WDW and "cover my bases" for 11 month "home resort" privilages, but I can see the argument that having all your points at one resort simplifies the managing of the account.

Thanks so much guys for your replies! I was kinda leaning toward what Vernon was saying. Having the 11 month window on property is pretty important to me but when I look at the points per night, we'd have to have 110 points for 5 nights in a one bedroom in low season (of course we would only need 60 for week nigths in a studio in low season). I think we'll probably go with the add on at HH because that's where we are planning on spending the majority of our time plus I can still get the $10 per point buy back and get 2001 points with 2002 points coming in August.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter