Resale-Only Full Asking Price Accepted?

Bea

DIS Veteran
We are looking at a 50 point contract (our second resale). The one that fits our needs has the disclaimer stating only a full price offer will be accepted. We aren’t looking for a hot deal, just don’t want to over pay and I find the asking price high. Any experience with negotiating contracts with this disclaimer?

We are looking at a 50 point contract (our second resale). The one that fits our needs has the disclaimer stating only a full price offer will be accepted. We aren’t looking for a hot deal, just don’t want to over pay and I find the asking price high. Any experience with negotiating contracts with this disclaimer?
I don’t have any experience w/ negotiating w/ that disclaimer, but 50 point contracts are fairly rare, how rare depends on which resort. Another value factor is how loaded/stripped it is. If it’s loaded & there’s time to rent the extra points you can offset that high asking price by renting the extra points - so essentially reducing your buy in by say $15 per point. You could offer full price but seller pays 2022 MFs which essentially reduces your cost by $7-8 per point since most sellers ask for reimbursement. If it’s been on the market for awhile, then maybe I’d offer lower than full price, if it’s offered at such a high price that for a few dollars more I could get a more common 100 point contract, I’d probably pass.
Since you’re already a member I’d also compare what you would pay if you just bought that 50 points direct from Disney w/ what the seller’s are asking & if you’d get 2021 points depending on use year which you could rent to offset the direct price.

If the disclaimer is there, then the seller has told the broker that is what they want and if you ask them to submit a lower offer, in most cases they won’t because the seller has already shared it’s a no.

When I was selling a few years ago, after turning done a low offer, I told the broker to not even bother me with anything less than a certain amount because it would be a waste of time.

If the price is not what you want, Id move on…or at least let the broker know that you’d be interested in putting in an offer when the seller decides they will entertain offers and leave it at that.

I find the asking price high

Did you compare it to other small contracts though? And account for points that were banked or possibly what MFs you will pay?

Small contracts will be more expensive than large contracts when you are sub 75 points.

Reactions: Bea
Just to give a different opinion, I currently have a 50 point contract in ROFR. The listing had the full asking price disclaimer, however I was able to negotiate it down $4/point. The response I got from the listing agent did suggest that they don't always communicate lower offers to sellers who only want a full price offer but I think because it had been on the market for a while she did speak with the seller about my offer. So you never know and it's worth a try!

It can’t hurt to offer what you are willing to pay.

And I will throw this in.

When I listed a 50 point contract last year, the dvcresalemarket person told me it was standard operating procedure to recommend to sellers putting out small contracts like that to list it as “only a full price offer will be accepted”. In fact, I even told him I would prefer not to and he forgot and did it anyway (and then immediately fixed it).

So, worst case scenario they’ll just say no. But if you offer and they counter, then you know they may actually have some wiggle room.

My last bit of advice though is that depending on the resort, if you’re looking for a small add-on to your existing contract, you will likely have a hard time finding small contracts at your resort in your use year. You may just consider paying up a little bit.

Yes I’ve tried to offer lower and it never works. I also lost a contract I wanted that way in an effort to save what was basically a negligible amount of money.

If someone is familiar with FL real estate law I'd be curious if they have a similar law to what we have in NY, where all offers presented to an agent MUST be present to the seller by law. Even if the seller says "don't bother me with less than X amount" the agent still has to inform the seller of the written offer.

If I were selling any of my contracts, I would decide on what I felt was a reasonable price, not a greedy one, and not entertain any offers that were less. And I wouldn’t pay any dues. I know that lowballing is a strategy, but frankly it’s not one that would work on me.

If someone is familiar with FL real estate law I'd be curious if they have a similar law to what we have in NY, where all offers presented to an agent MUST be present to the seller by law. Even if the seller says "don't bother me with less than X amount" the agent still has to inform the seller of the written offer.
Brokers are transaction brokers for timeshare and from my understanding, they do not need to present an offer to the seller if the seller has told them they will not accept any offer for a certain price.

I put an offer in on a stripped contract. Owners counted five dollars less than asking. I moved on wasn't worth it since it was stripped.

I sold my 50 point Poly contract that way and meant it. It was actually the broker’s suggestion who she didn’t have to bring anything less to me and didn’t. It sold in
a couple days at full price.

As with most areas that I am aware of, FL has a law that states that all offers must be presented UNLESS there is direction from the client to not present for whatever reason.

Small point contracts typically go for a premium. I lost on a few because of the full price statement as I wanted to negotiate a price.
I’m in ROFR now on full priced contracts that the price was higher than those I saw a couple of years ago.
If it’s exactly what your wanting it’s worth a little more in my opinion and less chance it will be taken.

Over 1500 active listings, some been there months, it's not a sellers market so they have to be reasonable.
I offered $140 on a 75pt CCV in ROFR right now, was listed at $162 and we settled on $142, it might get taken but no worries either way.
PVB has 150+ listings and Max ROFR this year was $137 so why shouldn't you just offer $140 on 20 listings, I guarantee you will get at least 1 seller agreeing.

Over 1500 active listings, some been there months, it's not a sellers market so they have to be reasonable.
I offered $140 on a 75pt CCV in ROFR right now, was listed at $162 and we settled on $142, it might get taken but no worries either way.
PVB has 150+ listings and Max ROFR this year was $137 so why shouldn't you just offer $140 on 20 listings, I guarantee you will get at least 1 seller agreeing.
That kind of strategy just isn’t for me. Putting in a lowball offer on 20 listings, then waiting for the contract to probably get taken, then doing it all over again until something finally goes through sounds like a lot of work, and can no doubt take months. Have no doubt it will eventually work, but it takes unlimited time and patience.

A few years ago I was looking at a 50 point VGC contract. No disclaimers about only full price. I thought it a few dollars high, but I offered full asking. I did it for a couple reasons:
  • I wanted the contract and it was the right size and UY for me there.
  • I knew it should make it through ROFR with no issues at that price.
  • I knew that there would probably be a few offers on that contract and I did not want to lose it to someone else who offered full price.
  • And in the grand scheme of things, offering $4-5 less only amounts to $200-$250 total to the contract. I was not going to lose it over $200.

That kind of strategy just isn’t for me. Putting in a lowball offer on 20 listings, then waiting for the contract to probably get taken, then doing it all over again until something finally goes through sounds like a lot of work, and can no doubt take months. Have no doubt it will eventually work, but it takes unlimited time and patience.
That's why I said $140 at PVB as highest taken in the past year is $137

I have a 50 point contract up for sale. I actually had 3 two have sold, one has not yet but I assume it will sell soon. The diference in price from a strip to loaded is about $10 a point. I am willing to give the buyers a bonus off a nice juicy loaded contract. If it does not sell I will simply sell the points via transfer and sell it cheaper stripped. I will actually make more money doing it that way but am lazy.

If the disclaimer is there, then the seller has told the broker that is what they want and if you ask them to submit a lower offer, in most cases they won’t because the seller has already shared it’s a no.

When I was selling a few years ago, after turning done a low offer, I told the broker to not even bother me with anything less than a certain amount because it would be a waste of time.

If the price is not what you want, Id move on…or at least let the broker know that you’d be interested in putting in an offer when the seller decides they will entertain offers and leave it at that.
Hi Sandisw,
Would share what broker you used to sell? I'm selling.
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter