Resale/Direct Buy DVC Questions

Sweber1975

Earning My Ears
New to DIS boards. I am one of those people who research a subject to death and have been reading everything I can on DVC resale and Purchasing Direct from Disney. I have been to AllEars, ***********, the Disney DVC site, and several resale sites. Most of the information is straight forward, but there were some tangental statements that I couldn't find additional information on and thus I am here to drink from the DIS Discussion board's Firehouse of Knowledge.

I understand the Perks you gain by purchasing direct from Disney (or perks not passed on to resale buyers). I also understand the cost savings calculations method of determining if resale is right for me. But the Questions threads I would like information on are as follows:

1) Disney offers a discounted point purchase program for current DVC members. If I buy a resale, can I purchase the smaller add on hours directly from Disney?
1a) If So, do the add on hours then qualify me for the perks that were omitted upon purchase of a resale?
1b) If my first contract was directly from Disney, do I loose the perks if I purchase additional points off the resale market? (Giving me an account with the Disney perks and more points for the $ with the additional points?)

2) I have seen where historically DVC allowed OKW members to extend their points to 2057 for an additional $25 per point.
2a) Does this extension apply to the other resorts that expire in 2042?
2b) Can a resale purchase of OKW 2042 extend to 2057 now? (EG can I buy a OKW 2042 resale and then extend it to 2057 after I get added to the system?)

I have additional questions, but they could significantly change depending on the answers to these two question trains.

Thank you for taking time to read this and/or response...

My guess is that you are talking about the one time use points that Disney will sell to owners. Both direct and resale buyers can buy them.

You are renting the points so they aren't like buying points direct.

Points bought direct count for the direct buy benefits, resale points don't. IMO it doesn't really matter because I wouldn't use my points for anything other than booking a DVC room. It like putting high test gas in a car that runs fine on cheap regular.

The extension was offered only at OKW by a prior President. Unknown what the new management will do.

Keep reading the purchase threads here on the DIS, all of your questions will be answered.

:earsboy: Bill

Not the one time use points you could purchase each year (25 max per year)..

I was talking about the discounted prices per point with a 25+ minimum per home hotel directly from Disney.

Sorry for not being more clear in my question. :(

Thanks DisneyNutz!!!

After reading your response several times, I believe you loosened the mental knot and got me passed my concern/consternation.

Even If I could purchase the add on points directly from Disney, I wouldn't be able to transfer the large resell contract to the small direct purchase contract and use them on the "Perks"..

Like you, I believe the resell would be the way I would go due to the built in weight at DVC resorts...

Thanks DisneyNutz!!!

After reading your response several times, I believe you loosened the mental knot and got me passed my concern/consternation.

Even If I could purchase the add on points directly from Disney, I wouldn't be able to transfer the large resell contract to the small direct purchase contract and use them on the "Perks"..

Like you, I believe the resell would be the way I would go due to the built in weight at DVC resorts...

Sounds like you got it.

The direct buy discount, (only offered on new resorts not selling as expected), is a joke. They raise the price $20 per point, then offer a $15 discount if you buy so many points. Don't get me wrong, sometimes buying direct is the only way to go but for most people, buying resale saves you some big bucks.

Keep reading, I'll give you a test later. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

Now I am banging my head against a new wall (question)...

Example: I own a 50 point contract for VGF allowing me to book 11 months out, instead of the 7 months at all other resorts... We know VGF books out before the 7 month window... But I have more points on a different contract/different home resort.

Situation: I can only book 50 points of room 11 months out, I would not be able to transfer the other points to the VGF contract allowing me to book a week stay at the 11 month mark..

Can someone please confirm this speculation?

Thanks!!!!

At some point I see a flow diagram being built...

Example: I own a 50 point contract for VGF allowing me to book 11 months out, instead of the 7 months at all other resorts... We know VGF books out before the 7 month window... But I have more points on a different contract/different home resort.

Situation: I can only book 50 points of room 11 months out, I would not be able to transfer the other points to the VGF contract allowing me to book a week stay at the 11 month mark..

Thanks!!!!

Your speculation is correct. But at the 7 month mark you can use points from another resort to book the extra time if there is availability.

Or you could book a split stay using what you have at VGF and your other home resort at 11 months.

Now I am banging my head against a new wall (question)...

Thanks!!!!

We own 55pts at BCV - our strategy is to borrow from the next year so we'll stay every other year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter