Requested pet loop

We have 2 dogs, which we have not as yet brought to DW with us, but certainly plan to In the future. We are not opposed to boarding, but, based on a bit of research, I am not convinced that the facilities at DW are where I would choose to leave them.
We have camped for a number of years and have encountered as many rude, loud and inconsiderate human neighbors as we have canines. Dogs can be taught good camping behaviors as can children.
Is Disney considering adult only areas at the Fort (they have them on the cruise ships)? Then those with children can pay an extra fee or be turned away if no family areas are available. :rotfl2:
Although there is much magic at Disney, they have not perfected sound barriers around the pet loops. You very well may hear barking from a nearby pet loop! As far as dog messes, irresponsible owners rank right up there on my naughty list.

IF I arrived after specifically requesting a pet site and paying the fee for EACH of my two dogs, to be told I then had to spend more money to board them the entire time at Best Friends, a very nice but expensive facility, there would be holy hosana being raised. I have always been treated courteously and CM's have been all over my pups. I only have one now, but will be adopting another older golden retriever from the rescue society soon. We stay in pet loops, walk every day on the main roads, not in other loops, pick up after them, and being full-timers, they consider the rig home and are quiet while we're gone. What's the problem? My extended family vacations every year, but we will vote with our feet. As if the FP+ nonsense isn't bad enough. :confused3

We are at the Fort 3 or 4 times per year and our visits are about 7 days each ... or more. We always request a pet loop, sometimes even a specific loop, and we have never been disappointed. Our dog is well behaved, doesn't bark when left alone, and we pick up after her. We walk her in the loop we are assigned and take her to the dog park once every trip. I don't mind paying Disney the extra $5. per night. She always travels with us in our RV and when we do car trips. She's stayed at many campgrounds and hotels including the Hard Rock at Universal for a weekend get away recently. I would NOT want to put her in a kennel no matter how magnificent it is. Enjoy having her there on the bottom of the bed at night and in the afternoons when we return from the park. There are so many pet friendly accommodations now, but if you would rather not be around pets (for whatever the reason), I feel the option for loops with No Pets Allowed should be in place. But, if my dog was not allowed to stay on my site, I would not be a patron of that campground / hotel. Here's hoping the Fort gets it right and makes sure there is enough room to cover pet loop reservations for those of us traveling with pets, and pet free loops for others.

Here's hoping the Fort gets it right and makes sure there is enough room to cover pet loop reservations for those of us traveling with pets, and pet free loops for others.

:thumbsup2 Agree 100%

The Fort has been the one 'dropping the ball'. If they would make rules clearer, enforce the ones they 'say' they have, then everyone should be happy! :goodvibes

There is 'no' reason that every reservation made for a specific category cannot be honored if it was available when the ressie was made. Computers handle those situations quite well! :)

We have been here for over two weeks in a pet loop; many of our neighbors have not had pets but I have no idea if they chose the pet loop or ended up with it by chance. All pets here have been very well behaved including two Great Danes that are quiet, majestic and very friendly - certainly can't say the same for some of the human visitors.

Any update on this topic? What is the latest scuttlebutt on a change in policy?

Yeah I can see where this is totally getting out of hand over the years and the folks who don't bring pets would be complaining.

Geeze, I remember when were finally were able to bring pets and were given only 4 loops to choose from period. The CM reservationist would ask when you were booking if your bringing a pet and if those 4 full hook up loops were full, then oh well pick another date. Now they don't even ask.

Back in the day I remember about being worried about my dog making a sound and I never left them unattended even inside our camper. Oh and you better have that shot record on hand and they verbally went over the pet policy before you signed it at check in. They didn't want any excuses for not knowing the rules.

But, like everything else everything changes. Now, the reservation CM doesn't ask if your bringing a pet and I don't think their is a place online to even add that if you book yourself online. The rules are just handed to you to sign at check in and no health papers are required. Now, you hear dogs barking at all times of the day, being left outside tied, crated or fenced unattended. Owners don't pick up after their pets and oh I shutter to think that they may not have all of their shots etc. Now I know not everyone does this, but where years ago it seemed to be the minority, I believe now it's the majority. We had a thread topic on this awhile back. I know when we take ours we avoid the pet park and I honestly would prefer a non-pet loop now myself and I own a pet.

It's sad really....I have been very scared that we will loose that privilege once again at the Fort.

I agree. They had better do a great job keeping up with pet/non pet reservations and loops. If not. I will not board my dog. I will make it known how unhappy I am. Then find another place to camp.

I wouldn't get too upset about it, I was told the exact opposite- that all the loops are about to allow pets. I'm guessing the theory is- it's pretty ridiculous to have a campground that doesn't allow animals.

Out of all the resorts on Disney property, the Fort is the only place where you can take pets, I think it's silly to limit that one single option even further by saying "pets only in these certain loops". It would make much more sense to have all the loops pet loops except for maybe a few that can accommodate no pet campers and if those are full, well those campers would have to decide if they wanted to stay at the Fort badly enough to stay in a pet loop. MYSELF included. As long as the dog is not in your campsite and not making noise during quiet hours, it shouldn't matter

I feel that way whether I take my dog or not.

We all know Disney is not going to turn down a buck, I highly doubt that is going to change. They're not going to turn away guests because they don't have availability in a requested pet loop. In addition, if that animal is a service dog, it has to be allowed regardless. I can see a whole lot of "Anxiety Service Dogs" in Disney's future if they were to make that change and I'm pretty sure they don't want to open up that big can of worms. You also can not charge extra per night for service dogs.

I would like to see a no screaming, unattended kids loop though ;)

ETA: I just thought of another headache for Disney, with limited pet loops and strict enforcement- it would need to be- if you are not bringing a pet, you can not stay in the pet loops because a pet owner might need it and can not stay in any other loop. I for one would be pretty mad about that if I weren't bringing my dog, the campground was full, and the pet loops were being held for those bringing pets.

Okay- I have stayed at Fort Wilderness 40-60 nights a year for the past 10 years with my dogs. (That's an average of 500 nights) I have never never never been turned away or told I would have to board my pets. This is absurd! There are enough pet loops to accommodate pets. If not, they strategic place pets or move loop categories. They strategic hold back sites in loops.
Please don't cancel your reservation. Disney is pet friends and this post is not demonstrating that. Ever since hurricane Frances Jeanne Wilma and Katrina Disney has valued the need to provide guests with the ability to travel with their pets. The pet park was even built in the last 8 years. In fact, when hurricanes approach, and they evacuate the campgrounds they even allow pets in hotel rooms.
It's a campground people.... Birds... Turkey's... Deer.... Raccoons.... Even an occasional snake and gator..... Not a hotel. I find that screaming children on scooters and bikes at 6-7 am are more likely than excessive barking dogs. You won't be turned away...... :thumbsup2

After reading the last few posts here, I can see 'me'ism' is alive and well.

If you get what 'you' want, nobody else matters, right?

In actuality, non-pet owners should be able to have a few rights also, correct?? Is having the 'current few loops only' pet free too much to ask for those desiring them?

Everyone being considerate of others goes a long way! :goodvibes

By the way, we don't have screaming, unattended children either, and I agree there. When we did have ours with us, you can believe they were under control with manners and considerations for others!

Your reading too much into it. How upset would you be if you showed up for a reservation you made a year in advanced and was told. Well you can stay, but you'll have to pay for parking because we out of parking area for you. Others continue to park for free, but you have to pay due to their lack of planning.

That is what we getting at. If you are going to FORCE me to board my pets at MY expense even though from day one I was clearly asking for a reservation in pet loop, I would take my money elsewhere. Just as you would if you where FORCED to pay for something you shouldn't need to because you made the proper reservation and they accepted it.

my goodness... the pet discussions just get me every time... you know when Walt imagined Disney World... he had screaming and excited children in mind... not dogs. To compare is simply silly. I love my german shepherd so much that I would NEVER bring her to the fort. It would be so horrible to leave her all day in a MH while we go to parks... and even though I don't think she would bark... I don't know what she is doing while I'm gone so why put another family through hearing it all day. We take her camping every where else...we hike, swim and such... but the fort is just not all that dog friendly. Almost all areas are restricted, except for a few. Of course, I don't care if people bring their pets.. but, it should be fair and for those families who request a dog free loop they should get one. So there... flame away popcorn::

That is what we getting at. If you are going to FORCE me to board my pets at MY expense even though from day one I was clearly asking for a reservation in pet loop, I would take my money elsewhere. Just as you would if you where FORCED to pay for something you shouldn't need to because you made the proper reservation and they accepted it.

Actually, we agree completely - works both ways, right?? The first part of your post though didn't seem to apply, but I 'do' agree with the last part -

We all just want what we have made reservations for, right? You want your pet ressie, we want our pet free loop - which each of us were 'promised' at time of ressie. No more of 'either' should be given than what is available for that time. Seems simple to me - they just need to implement it. :goodvibes

my goodness... the pet discussions just get me every time... you know when Walt imagined Disney World... he had screaming and excited children in mind... not dogs. To compare is simply silly. I love my german shepherd so much that I would NEVER bring her to the fort. It would be so horrible to leave her all day in a MH while we go to parks... and even though I don't think she would bark... I don't know what she is doing while I'm gone so why put another family through hearing it all day. We take her camping every where else...we hike, swim and such... but the fort is just not all that dog friendly. Almost all areas are restricted, except for a few. Of course, I don't care if people bring their pets.. but, it should be fair and for those families who request a dog free loop they should get one. So there... flame away popcorn::

No flame, just a different opinion:
I would never even take a guess as to what Walt Disney had in mind regarding dogs but I do think bringing pets is a personal decision. As to implying that those who bring their pets do not love tham as you do yours, yikes! Many pets are more comfortable in a familiar camper than they would be in a kennel, lonely at home, or a strange house.
I do find it interesting that you believe the Fort should be different than other campgrounds nationwide; the vast majority of which allow dogs. There are few who do not, and few that segregate dog areas from pet-free areas.
Although we do not bring our dogs to the Fort yet, we do plan on doing do. I also want to note that there are no sound barriers between the pet loops and pet-free loops. Barking (and screaming children :yay:) can clearly be heard depending upon your location and camping neighbors.

The comparison is between paying guests being annoyed by screaming, uncontrolled children during quiet hours and paying guests being annoyed by barking, uncontrolled dogs during quiet hours-- not a comparison of dogs and children in general being in the parks.

I'm pretty sure Walt had happy customers with plenty of dollars in mind when he imagined Disney parks- he was a business man. I'm also pretty sure he didn't imagine screaming children or barking dogs or any other kind of loud, intrusive behaviors where people sleep- hotels or campgrounds.

There's no need to flame anyone for differing opinions. I think the main concern was about showing up for reservations but being turned away because there wasn't a pet loop available. I don't see Disney doing that and personally never had it happen to me or heard of it happening to anyone.

The only way to make sure people who want to bring their pets can do so and people who don't want to be around pets can remain pet free, is to have designated enforced pet sites. Since approximately 61% of the sites are pet friendly and the other 39% are not - that would leave out a lot of people who want reservations but aren't bringing pets. This would not make the guests or Disney happy. On the other hand, hauling an RV for however many hours after making a reservation almost a year in advance only to be told "no pet loops left" would not make for happy guests or Disney either.

So, I'm assuming that is why after all these years, things are still exactly the same way- designated pet loops with little enforcement either way.

The comment regarding anxiety dogs was made in light of Disney's current headache in trying to find a good solution to ADA equal access in the parks. I do not have an anxiety dog- unless you count the one that causes me anxiety by tripping me going down the stairs!

As far as what is best for the pet, that depends on that individual pet. Same goes for whether a pet is a good camping pet- depends on that individual pet.

Our dog now is a slug. Rarely barks, naps all the time, rarely gets excited over anything, never bites, sleeps all the way there, sleeps all the way back. The dog we had 10 years ago- absolute nightmare. Couldn't pay me enough money to take him anywhere, he was a bad enough nightmare at home- barking constantly, hyper, biting everyone for any reason including everyone in the family. Nothing we did worked to help him, not even medication or an email to The Dog Whisperer (yes we were that desperate) Would never have taken him to anywhere outside of the backyard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter