Repositioning cruises

SeattleSuz

Em Eye See, Kay Ee Why Em Oh You Ess Ee!!
Do they have repo cruises on DCL? And if so, how does one find out about pricing on one?? I think it might be kind of fun to do that and possibly cheaper (??)...

They definitely do. Panama Canal to go from Miami to San Diego, San Diego to Vancouver, Port Canaveral to Europe, etc. I would just check out the DCL website and choose the destination you want. All the re-positioning cruises are included in the schedule there. Re-positioning cruises are usually longer and heavier and sea days so they don't sell as quickly. Because of that, they do end up being a bit cheaper.

If you are looking on the Disney website, the Panama Canal, Transatlantic, and California cruises are all considered repositioning cruises. If you look at the daily rate compared to some of the other offerings, the Panama Canal and Transatlantic cruises are cheaper.

The California cruises can vary price wise because they pull a lot of west coast Disney fans who don't or can't usually pay the airfare to Florida.

Oh wow, that sounds like there are some possibilities then. Do they have ANY stops? or is it mostly a cruise to enjoy all that the ship has to offer??

That was an AMAZING trip.
Yes, definitely less expensive per person-day, AND we had a very nice free upgrade as the ship was only 65~70% full.
Had to pull our then-3rd Grader out of school for 2 weeks, but he wrote some nice essays on Gibraltar and Madera. Loved the sea days.
One-way airline tickets were a bit tricky, but we managed.

Oh wow, that sounds like there are some possibilities then. Do they have ANY stops? or is it mostly a cruise to enjoy all that the ship has to offer??

We just did the West Bound Panama Canal trip. It was 15 nights with 5 stops plus the day through the canal.

I've done several reposition cruises myself and enjoy them. In fact I have another one in a few weeks. I would suggest you contact a TA to price out repositon cruises or you can visit the DCL web site.

What exactly does "reposition" mean for a cruise?

A repositioning cruise is one that begins at one port and ends at a different port. The cruise line is moving the cruise ship to a new temporary home port for a few months.

DCL moves the Wonder twice a year from the Florida coast to Alaska in the spring and then back to Florida in the Fall so the Wonder can do Alaskan cruises.

The Magic moves from Florida to Europe in the spring and then back to Florida in the fall.

The Dream and Fantasy haven't done any repositioning cruises since their initial sailing from where they were built to Port Canaveral.

It means you disembark in another port than you embarked the Ship. Most cruises are "closed loop" where you return to your departure cruise at the end, but sometimes the next cruises will be from another homeport and the Ship needs to be "repositioned" from one homeport to another.

Currently scheduled:

Fantasy: none, only sailing from Port Canaveral
Dream: none, only sailing from Port Canaveral

Wonder:
09-08-2014 Vancouver to San Diego (Vancouver-Victoria-Sea-Sea-San Diego)
09-12-2014 EBPC San Diego to Port Canaveral (San Diego-Sea-Cabo San Lucas-Puerto Vallarta-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-Panama Canal-Cartagena-Sea-Sea-Cozumel-Sea-Port Canaveral)
10-10-2014 Port Canaveral to Miami: one night, no passengers.
05-01-2015 WBPC Miami to San Diego (Miami-Sea-Cozumel-Sea-Sea-Cartagena-Panama Canal-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-Puerto Vallarta-Cabo San Lucas-Sea-San Diego)
05-20-2015 San Diego to Vancouver (San Diego-Sea-San Francisco-Sea-Sea-Vancouver)
I think the Hawaiian cruises don't qualify for a repositioning as it's just one cruise up and one down.
09-27-2015 Vancouver to San Diego (Vancouver-Victoria-Sea-Sea-San Diego)
10-23-2015 EBPC San Diego to Galveston (San Diego-Sea-Cabo San Lucas-Puerto Vallarta-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-Panama Canal-Cartagena-Sea-Sea-Cozumel-Sea-Galveston)

Magic:
09-06-2014 WBTA Barcelona to San Juan (Barcelona-Sea-Malaga-Sea-Sea-Tenerife-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-St. John's-St. Maarten-Basseterre-San Juan)
10-18-2014 San Juan to Port Canaveral (San Juan-Sea-Castaway Cay-Port Canaveral)
05-15-2015 EBTA Port Canaveral to Copenhagen (Port Canaveral-Sea-Sea-New York-Sea-Sea-Saint John-Sea-Sea-Sea-Reykjavik-Sea-Sea-Oslo-Copenhagen-Copenhagen)
06-29-2015 Copenhagen to Dover (Copenhagen-Oslo-Kristiansand-Stavanger-Sea-Akureyri-Reykjavik-Reykjavik-Sea-Torshavn-Sea-Dover)
08-03-2015 Dover to Barcelona (Dover-Sea-Sea-Vigo-Lisbon-Gibraltar-Sea-Barcelona)
09-19-2015 WBTA Barcelona to Miami (Barcelona-Sea-Sea-Funchal-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-Sea-Castaway Cay-Miami)

Yes Substantially CHEAPER! We are on the Sep 6, 2014 WBTA and paid $1290 with taxes for 2 people in an 11B! check one out :)

Yeah, the Transatlantic leaving in May '15 has gotten insanely expensive! Fortunately we booked opening day and got a great deal. It's hitting a bunch of new ports so it's been VERY popular.

My bad. WBPC is $4200, WBTA is $6000. So much for cheap.

Agreed. I booked a year ago on Sept 2014 EBPC for 3 of us for almost 3000 less than what they are asking for the same room (6A) now for the 2015 crossing. I guess it's become too popular :(

Anyone thinking of future PC cruises, go elsewhere. I hear they are awful ;) ;)

My bad. WBPC is $4200, WBTA is $6000. So much for cheap.

The May 2015 TA is actually an EBTA, not a WBTA.

The pricing on the Sep 2015 WBTA is much less expensive, but has very few ports. I suspect the Wonder's Sep 2015 Hawaii cruises cannibalized some of the guests who favor the longer cruises.

The May 2015 TA is actually an EBTA, not a WBTA.

The pricing on the Sep 2015 WBTA is much less expensive, but has very few ports. I suspect the Wonder's Sep 2015 Hawaii cruises cannibalized some of the guests who favor the longer cruises.

Sorry, I was wrong again. Your not kidding about prices being low on that September 2015 WBTA, 11B for $1680!!!

. . . The pricing on the Sep 2015 WBTA is much less expensive, but has very few ports. I suspect the Wonder's Sep 2015 Hawaii cruises cannibalized some of the guests who favor the longer cruises.
For those of us who enjoy the longer cruises, it's too bad these cruises overlap.

Woody

im going on the ebpc in 3 weeks and with checking for next year i would be 1000 dollars more in a 11b single person then 11c single person this year

When looking at the Repro cruises you have to remember the PC and TA cruises are many more days than regular cruises. So even 4K for a 14 repro day cruise is a much better price than 4K for a 7 day cruise. We have done 2 Repros now and HATE :rotfl2: them. You should stay away from them at all cost. We will do them for you and save you the stress of 14/15 days on a DCL cruise. Yes we will take one for the betterment of mankind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter