Report on Amerisuites @Calypso Cay

Chance's Mom

WL Vet
HI!

We just got back from WDW last night. We stayed the first 3 nights at Amerisuites and the last 4 at WL. We were visiting Universal, so wanted to save a little money.

While I can't rave about Amerisuites (that Disney Magic just wasn't there) , I can report that for the really great AAA rate that we got (I booked an internet special in Aug.) it was a great value. We paid $36 a night!!!!

The place is spotless. The room had a king bed and a pullout sofa (We only have one child), microwave, fridge, free breakfast (The usual fare: cereal, donuts, bagels, juice, etc...)

and is as close to the parks as The ASMO. You would definitely need a car to stay off site. The pool is just a pool.

It is a great value if you need space for your family. Also, the breakfast saved us $$ every morning.

I did miss the "Disney Magic" and was glad to move to the WL.

I''ll be glad to answer any ?.

Hi Chance's Mom - Great name by the way. My 5 yr. old is named Chase. Thanks so much for the Amerisuites report. We're staying there for 10 days in March, first time off site, looking forward to spending WAY less on a room plus the extra bit of space. Did you drive to the parks and if so, how long was the drive? Was the pool heated and did it have a slide? We're also doing both Disney and Universal; how was the drive to Universal? Thanks for your comments!

Hi lorilori! my DS is 6.:)

We did drive everywhere. We fly, so need transportation to/from the airport anyway. I am lucky because DH loves to drive and has a great sense of direction. The drive to the parks is like 10 minutes max, and the drive to universal was about 20 min I think--the hotel is right on the main road, so it's very easy to navigate. The pool has some spraying crabs, and I think a slide, we were told it was heated. We didn't spend any time there, too cold!
Your DS will love "picking out his own breakfast", and you will love the extra space. If you are going for 10 days, you might want to consider getting Annual Passes--you can then save the $7 a day for Disney Parking.

We had to go back to Universal for a 2nd day. DS loved the Men in Black Ride, Back to the Future Ride, Spiderman, a little roller coaster called the Flying Unicorn, and the Jurassic Park area. I, personally, couldn't wait to get back to MK, but DS and DH loved universal.

Our total for 3 days was $120 tax and all--that was incredible. To me the most important thing is cleanliness, and it is a very new hotel--you will not be disappointed.

Have fun--I love this age--they are so easy to please!:)

Chance's Mom - We're thinking of staying here, so your review was very timely for me. We're looking to stay for 10 days with me, my DH, and my 2 DS ages 4 & 7, so we'll have quite a few clothes. I'm looking at the king suite and we'll have the boys on the sofa bed together. How was the storage space for clothing as far as drawer space and hanging closet-type space? The sleeping area is not separated from the living area by a door, right? From the picture, it looks like there's a sort of a partial, half-wall. Is the bathroom back where the king bed is? I'm wondering if we'd be able to get up and get ready in the morning without waking the boys on the sofa-bed or if it's so close together that they'd probably hear us and get up.

Our ideal set-up is to have separate sleeping areas with a door in between, but for the price, I think we can compromise. The Country Inn & Suites next-door looks like there's a door between the 2 areas, but it would cost me $26 more per day. The best I've found is an Entertainment Card rate of $45 for the Amerisuites, which isn't quite as low as your rate, but still seems like a very good deal to me.

This almost sounds too good to be true, because the breakfast is definitely handy when travelling with the kids and having the kitchen area is also nice.

How big is the kitchen area? Is it a mini-fridge or a larger one? Is there a microwave? What about seating at a table? Are there table & chairs that would seat either 2 or 4 people?

Thanks so much for the information!

The vanity area is outside of the bathroom, so your kids would probably hear you get up. I was able to take a shower without disturbing anyone, but the minute I turned on the light in the sink area, my DS was up. It is only parially separated. There is a nice big area to hang clothes and there were 3 drawers in the tv cabinet. The fridge is bigger than the mini ones. The only seating for eating is a desk (there were 2 chairs), but your kids could use the coffee table and sofa.

I was nervous about staying here, too. I thought $36 was too good to be true. I booked it as soon as the AAA rates for 2003 came out in the summer. $45 dollars is a great rate, I would book it right away at that rate, you can always cancel later.

The hotel is clean and convenient to everything.

We spent at least $17 each day that we were at the Wilderness Lodge for breakfast, so you can definitley add that to your savings!

You will need a car! I don't think it would be any fun to rely on other transportation.
Hope this helps--let me know if you have any other ?s
:D

I booked that rate on the Amerisuites site last summer. I haven't seen a rate that good since. I think you can get the entertainment rate by buying the Entertainment Book and calling the hotel directly.

See www.mousesavers.com for info on the Entertainment Book.:D

Thanks for the timely post as well.

I'll be staying there in 2month for 4 nights before moving on to a timeshare. Can you tell me how big the pullout sofa is??

Were cramimg mom,dad,son,daughter,grandma,& grandpa into the two doubble bed room. I know 6 people is tight but since we will be hitting the parks, I figure we can survive provided the pullout sofa can sleep 2 adults.

Also, Was there any noise from the construction?
Did you play the mini golf?
how long is the drive to universal?

btw I got a rate of $50.00 (entertainment). Not as good as everybody elses but I'm happy with it.

Thanks.

I forgot about the mini golf. Did it look like it'd be fun for a 5 yr. old and my DH while I'm inside resting with our 3 yr.old? Thanks for your great info!

The pullout sofa isn't very large-- I do not think that 2 adults would be comfortable on it.

There was no construction noise. We didn't see or play the mini golf (Too many other things going on!)

I think 50 is a great rate!!

It takes about 20 min (I think) to get to Universal--a fast easy drive.

One other thing I forgot--I did see a small laundry room with 2 washers and dryers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter