Report of Oregon college shooting...

What about murders in NYC and California, based on your brilliant logic they would have increased. Its a lost cause, until gun owners take 32000 lives a year as a serious matter nothing will happen. I am lucky to live in a area where people do not carry around guns. Actually a midwest company moved to our area and put a sign in the window "No Firearms Allowed" Never seen one like that before. Would not like to live in area where that sign was needed.

How about a little give and take. Perhaps a nationally recognized concealed carry permit that acts as deaf to a background check at its issuance, it could be issued to everyone so as not singling out gun owners. Require a one time gun safety class if you want maybe given in high school like drivers education is, it's renewed yearly so if anything comes about its revoked. Also I'd tie it in as a a voter ID card to insure against any funny business on the gov part. No waiting for a background check, just show your gov permit and out the door you go with your new or used firearm. While we're at it how about legalizing the ownership of suppressors without the need of a tax stamp and BATF approval. Seriously what's the problem with putting a muffler on your firearm?

How about a little give and take. Perhaps a nationally recognized concealed carry permit that acts as a background check, it could be issued to everyone so as not singling out gun owners. Require a one time class if you want maybe given in high school like drivers education is, it's renewed yearly so if anything comes about its revoked. No waiting for a background check, just show your gov permit and out the door you go with your new or used firearm. While we're at it how about legalizing the ownership of suppressors without the need of a tax stamp and BATF approval. Seriously what's the problem with putting a muffler on your firearm?

I live in a state that requires an 8 hour course, plus a written and proficiency test in order to get a carry permit. It also requires fingerprinting and a complete FBI background check. I'd gladly support making that a national requirement in exchange for a nationally recognized carry permit. The system the way it is setup now is silly. Like your other suggestions as well.

I agree on the silliness of the permit. Traveling can be a nightmare, if I plan on driving through a certain state I'm forced to either A) leave a certain firearm, ammo type at home or B) break that states laws. What kind of a a choice is that and trying to keep up with states reciprocity and their carry laws is extremely time consuming and often times those laws are open to interpretation.

What about murders in NYC and California, based on your brilliant logic they would have increased. Its a lost cause, until gun owners take 32000 lives a year as a serious matter nothing will happen. I am lucky to live in a area where people do not carry around guns. Actually a midwest company moved to our area and put a sign in the window "No Firearms Allowed" Never seen one like that before. Would not like to live in area where that sign was needed.

I don't have any sales data for either of those specific locales - I doubt you do either ;)

As for my brilliant logic, anyone who can say, "We put more guns into circulation than ever and dramatically increased the places where they were allowed, and in the process saw the homicide rate cut in half. So, obviously the thing we need to do is the opposite of what we've done lately" with a straight face is either dishonest, or illogical.

BTW, firearm related homicides are ~8,500 per year per the most recent FBI numbers.

We were visiting Minnesota and saw a sign like that on the CHILDRENS' Museum. I think we both did a double take.

Just so you all know, most don't pay one bit of attention to those signs. As they, the property owner, are only able to refuse your business and ask you to leave. Other than those outlined in the law; courthouse, schools, federal buildings, etc. they carry no wait of law.

Just so you all know, most don't pay one bit of attention to those signs. As they, the property owner, are only able to refuse your business and ask you to leave. Other than those outlined in the law; courthouse, schools, federal buildings, etc. they carry no wait of law.
Weight of law? A children's museum has a right to rules that provide a healthy, safe atmosphere for the parents, children and staff.

Weight of law? A children's museum has a right to rules that provide a healthy, safe atmosphere for the parents, children and staff.

To the bolded, I'd argue their stance does exactly the opposite.
I'd have to look at the specific states laws but as I understand their no different than "No Shirt-No Shoes" they can refuse service and ask you to leave. If you refuse they can have you arrested for trespassing.

Right or wrong, the sign only means the facility owner can ask you to leave. You can't be prosecuted merely for ignoring the sign unless it's a government building, school, stadium, or other place guns are prohibited by law.

To the bolded, I'd argue their stance does exactly the opposite.
I'd have to look at the specific states laws but as I understand their no different than "No Shirt-No Shoes" they can refuse service and ask you to leave. If you refuse they can have you arrested for trespassing.

The exact opposite? So your contention is that a museum for children is generally an unhealthy, unsafe atmosphere, but if we start allowing guns in, that is what will make it a healthy, safe environment? Okay, then!

I'm out guys. It has been fun beating the dead horse, but we aren't getting anywhere. See you in a month or so to discuss the next mass murder.

The exact opposite? So your contention is that a museum for children is generally an unhealthy, unsafe atmosphere, but if we start allowing guns in, that is what will make it a healthy, safe environment? Okay, then!

I'm out guys. It has been fun beating the dead horse, but we aren't getting anywhere. See you in a month or so to discuss the next mass murder.
You said it perfectly. I'm out too. Until the next...
Sad doesn't even begin to describe it. It's just unthinkable that we as a collective society can't do better than this.

I think a museum is a perfectly healthy environment, it's also got a giant target on it, just as schools, colleges, movie theatres, etc with "No Guns Allowed" plastered up for any crazy person to IGNORE whenever they decide to go on a rampage.

Have any of you ever wondered,
Why don't any of these shooters ever target the annual NRA convention?
Theirs a reason and I'll give some of you time to figure it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter