• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

report card rewards

wendy522

Mouseketeer
Can everyone post the rewards for good grades that you may have found out there for you children.

I have four children 7,8,9,11 and three of them were honor roll and one was merit roll. I am very proud of them and would love to take them to receive one or two rewards for there good grades.

I am aware of 'Chuck E Cheese' and 'Family Video' and we have done these in the past I am hoping to find something a little different this time. We live in the Cleveland area.

Straight cash always worked best when I was a kid. My mom gave me a certain amount per A ($3 or something like that). I don't give my kids anything, but I don't see that I have needed to motivate them yet to try hard. When they get a good report card we usually go out to dinner or something.

We go out for ice cream. At the end of the year we will have a dinner out. We do not give cash for grades.

Our local Melting Pot (fondue restaurant) does a free kids meal for straight a's or something like that.

I personally am not fond of rewarding good grades. Not that I don't think it is awesome that a child, or anyone for that matter, works hard and does well but it is not always a good incentive.

I doubt my oldest son will ever be a straight A student, no matter how hard he tries. He just doesn't have the aptitude or the ability. My younger son has a much easier time getting good grades. I think it would be a kick in the teeth for my older son to get nothing even if he tried hard (not that he tried that much this year but that's another story). My MIL offered my kids $5.00 if they got a goal in ball hockey last year and my younger son tried so hard but just couldn't do it but both his brother and sister and cousins all got money. I didn't think it was that fair for him. It sure wasn't due to lack of trying. He also played defense a lot.

That said, I think it would depend on what interested your child. I think it should be something they don't get that often or have wanted for a long time. What about a movie at the theatre or maybe a day trip to some event or fun place, museum, arcade, or other attraction. I"m not sure what is in your area or what your budget is on this. Is there some toy or something they have wanted.

Good luck and congrats to your kids for working hard and doing well.

We always go to Graters Ice cream, chuck e cheese, krispie kreme, and earth and fire (may be a local thing only). We also have a new Sweet Frog that does something, but I don't know if that is a local place or a chain.

We only have one child so we give cash for every A. DD13 is in middle school so we only pay for the end of the grade semesters. Ya she tried getting paid for quater grades we told her noway-lol! She is in honors classes and works very hard.

Now if we had several kids or a child that wasnt a straight A student but tried really hard dh and I would figure something out. I think rewarding is a good thing.

DD uses her reward money to save up for something big/expesnive she wants or goes shopping. She is good with money especially her own money-lol!Kids been using coupons since she was 8yrs old-lol!

The children in my family always got money for each A. I don't think there was anything for a mark below an A. If you had to work harder than your sibling to get an A--everyone was in a different grade, so no one could say that there was anything unfair in the system.

DD9 gets a mani/pedi if she maintains straight A's for the full year. Not the year end accumulative grade but must have all A's all year.

She only gets one a year, so this year she is saving hers until right before our cruise.

We usually take them out to dinner. They get mostly A's, with a small amount of B's, and I have yet to see a C, so I don't know what I would do if someone got one. I'd feel badly leaving one home!

I personally am not fond of rewarding good grades. Not that I don't think it is awesome that a child, or anyone for that matter, works hard and does well but it is not always a good incentive.

I doubt my oldest son will ever be a straight A student, no matter how hard he tries. He just doesn't have the aptitude or the ability. My younger son has a much easier time getting good grades. I think it would be a kick in the teeth for my older son to get nothing even if he tried hard (not that he tried that much this year but that's another story). My MIL offered my kids $5.00 if they got a goal in ball hockey last year and my younger son tried so hard but just couldn't do it but both his brother and sister and cousins all got money. I didn't think it was that fair for him. It sure wasn't due to lack of trying. He also played defense a lot.

That said, I think it would depend on what interested your child. I think it should be something they don't get that often or have wanted for a long time. What about a movie at the theatre or maybe a day trip to some event or fun place, museum, arcade, or other attraction. I"m not sure what is in your area or what your budget is on this. Is there some toy or something they have wanted.

Good luck and congrats to your kids for working hard and doing well.

Where it sucks to see one of our kids feel disappointment, I would use this as a learning tool. You can't always win and you can't always be the best. Sometimes kids are better than you and sometimes you are better than other kids. I would praise my child for trying and all the hard work and encourage them to keep up the good work. I wouldn't let it stop me for rewarding the others who accomplished what the original goal was.

I always got cash as a kid and looked forward to report card time. I will do the same for my kids when they are older.

I promised my 12 yr old I would buy her a piccolo if she got straight As on her last report card. She wants a saxophone next :scared:. The piccolo should be arriving any minute via the Big Brown Truck :goodvibes.

In all honesty, I wouldn't give a reward for grades. I'd do something nice for all of them and just say it's because I loved them and liked to see them happy.

I have this vivid memory of telling my parents how several girls I knew got paid for good grades and how much they made. I was thinking, "Heck, this could be a gold mine for me!" My parents said no, they didn't offer prizes to me for things they expected me to do as a matter of course. It's a comment that's always stuck with me, because it was so true.

We have never given rewards for good grades. They are expected to do the best they can to their own ability.

I don't have kids, but growing up, I remember that my father saying that we should't get paid for getting good grades, but that we should always be doing our best anyway. To this day, I don't feel that he was being unfair. We all did get pretty good grades, making the honor roll most of the time, but we definitely all had our areas where we excelled and areas where we certainly didn't.

My older sister and I were only a year apart, but our younger sister was 6 years behind me in school. She was learning French when she was in 3rd grade because my older sister and I were taking it in high school. She definitely got the better grades than us, but that's because she was hanging out with us when we were studying in high school and she was absorbing things even though she was only in elementary school.

We always got $20 at the end of the grading period when we brought our report cards home. But it wasn't a fluctuating amount of money that was based on how good our grades were. It was always $20.

But we also always knew that our parents expected us to get good grades. It just wasn't tied to the money. Preferably all A's, but a couple B's here and there were ok (though I remember bringing home all A's and one B and hearing from my dad, "Good job! But how come they weren't ALL A's?"), a C was unacceptable... unless we were having problems with the subject material and had come to our parents and sought means to get help in the subject like tutoring.

We didn't have chores nor any kind of allowance, so this was the only "spending money" we ever got throughout the year outside of birthday/Christmas money from family.

The OP was asking about places that provide rewards for kids good grades not what she should give her kids as a reward!

To the OP, Chuck E Cheese is the only place that I know of anymore. I think most businesses have gotten away from freebies like this unfortunately :(

The OP was asking about places that provide rewards for kids good grades not what she should give her kids as a reward!

To the OP, Chuck E Cheese is the only place that I know of anymore. I think most businesses have gotten away from freebies like this unfortunately :(

I think Rainforest Cafe does something like a $0.99 kids meal for good grades if you fill out a form on their website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter