Repo Ports

webray

Love the wineauxs!
Is anyone else hoping they add a few more stops for the repo cruises??? I know we are.

I would not expect any more ports of call on the repositioning cruises.

I'm sure the folks at DCL worked long and hard to put together the best itinerary, given the distance to be covered, the speed of the ship, the ports that are available along the way, and the length of the cruise. The main purpose of these cruises is to move the ship a tremendous distance. The ship travels at about the speed that you would drive down a residential street.

The ship travels at about the speed that you would drive down a residential street.

In that case they should be able to make the trip from Florida to California in about 5 days. What are they doing for the other 9 days? ;)

Cheers,
Grumbo

Originally posted by Grumbo
In that case they should be able to make the trip from Florida to California in about 5 days. What are they doing for the other 9 days? ;)

Cheers,
Grumbo

In our case, they will spend that time turning around and going back for drunks who fall overboard!

I notice that the eastbound cruise has an overnight in Acapulco rather than a stop at Mazatlan. Other than that, I don't know that there's time to add any other ports. Possibly another port on the Pacific side of Mexico. I don' think they need a day at sea to get from Cabo to Acapulco, but maybe they do. I don't see where they could add any ports on the Caribbean side. I think it would definitely take two days at sea to get from Castaway Cay to Curacao, and then the better part of another from there to the canal (it looks like it's at least 7-800 miles).

I don't think there will be any new ports, either. But, I would LOVE to know more about the excursions and prices. I am trying to do some research on other cruise lines excursions, but since I'm going to be on the FIRST dcl one, I'd like to know a bit more than the 90 days in advance I expect to hear.

Really, every time I think about it, I wonder what happened to my brain. Here I am spending $$$ on a cruise I nearly know nothing about! There should be new shows, new stops, all kinds of new stuff. I can't wait!!

I've been discussing this very issue with DW and although I very much want to be on this cruise I find myself struggeling with the number of days at sea. I would love to see the itinerary change to include two more ports. But, I don't hold out any hope that even one additional port will be added.

We booked the May Westbound during the first 45 minutes that reservations were being accepted hoping that I would reconsile that there would be ONLY 5 ports of call, not including PC or LA. We choose to cruise PRIMARILY for the variety and frequency of the ports we visit. Unlike many on this board I don't particularly care for days at sea. I expect the ship will be at capacity and when this happens there just seems to be too many passengers using the common areas when we're not in port. We've been on sold out DCL cruises before and find the ship to be too crowded for our liking.

I understand that sometimes days at sea are unavoidable such as in the case of a transatlantic cruise for example. Which is why we'll never sail across the atlantic. I hope to soon convince myself that all those sea days won't be that bad. Otherwise someone who is waitlisted for a catagory 5 cabin might get a call from DCL or their TA discussing the availability of such a cabin.

I've raised this topic several times here and every time most people think I'm crazy to want more ports. I was so upset when DCL removed Guatemala. I wrote a letter to DCL telling them this too and their response was that more people wanted an over nighter in Acapulco. I suspect there are other reasons why they removed Guatemala- security and financial reasons. On the positive side, I will be spending less money on excursions and DCL will be providing more food and entertainment on those at sea days. Two weeks traveling with all meals provided and paying the low first day price for the cruise- still sounds like a great vacation to me!!

Yes, it still will be a great vacation. I'm with DBBN though..there may be more than one cat 5 opening up. Really struggling with port options for the price.

considering it is a repo cruise, I did not expect a lot of ports to start with ... and I don't think they'll be able to squeeze any more in and still get to their final destination in time ... looking at other cruise lines none of them seem to do Cabo to Acapulco over night, so I guess that day at sea is needed.

As for the price, we got in at the lowest pricing tier possible on the first day, so what we're paying for 3 of us in a cat 7 for 2 weeks is fantastic (about $2,000 less than booking right now for the same 3 people in a cat 7 on the 10 day Christmas cruise). Now booking the repo at today's pricing is more than I could afford, and that's a budget issue not based on the # of ports we're hitting.

I agree with you ivanova. However, I booked the first day too and a stop in Guatemala was in the original plan. I choose the repo cruise over the Mexican cruise because of the ports for the Repo cruise. In terms of other cruise lines, Princess does make 6-7 stops on their Repo cruises that last the same duration. They stop in Costa Rica in addition to the same stops DCL uses on the Pacific side and stop at 1-2 other Carribean islands on the Carribean side. However, that is Princess cruise lines and I wanted to try DCL for their exceptional kids programs. IMHO, DCL is concerned about security and immigration procedures, thus they eliminated Puerto Quetzal for security. A stop in Costa Rica now requires a passport. I was seriously considering cancelling my Repo cruise but this is probably the last year my pre teen daughter will tolerate the Disney magic on the Magic.
Here's some pixie dust that DCL will add another port on the east bound Repo cruise!:sunny:
See you 8/20/05

When I booked the August cruise we had an extra stop, I know it was cancelled and I agree with the reasons why, however whilst they added an overnight stay at Acapulco, this will not assist most travellers and only allows DCL to put on some local Mexican entertainment and get them off again before it goes.

On my previous cruise through Panama we had a stop at Costa Rica and it was a good stop I would like them to add this in, I think the schedule will allow this.

Cruise ships have a slow speed and also this cruise is going against the time zones loosing three hours, the May trip gains three hours, so there is an issue.

However leaving Acapulco say 5pm/ 6pm. could mean a stop is possible in Costa Rica, they would save about 13 hours leaving Acapulco at that time. The issue is however what time are they booked to go through Panama?

I did a wonderful rain forest trip from the port in Costa Rica, however I personally feel with a full cruise and a waiting list and only two DCL trips through the canal up to the end of 2006 at least DCL doesn't need to move on this !!

One last thought is refuelling restocking, and the tranist time for the canal, on my previous trip, my ship and all of the others I saw had an unannounced stop in Balboa at the end of the Panama canal which is near to Panama city.

We refuelled there and took on supplies, Cabo is a tender port as far as I am aware, Acapulco can be port or tender, then is the Caribbean so you need to take on supplies somewhere?

I am torn on this issue. We booked the first hour, got a great price, actually less then for a comparable cabin on another line for a Panama Canal cruise...but I'm not happy with an overnight in Acapalco in place of an extra port day. If we cancelled our booking we could do an Alaska cruise on Holland America and a Caribbean cruise with extended family. I'll probably wait and hear what the WB trip reports are like...unless they are really bad though we'll probably keep our reservation...don't think we'll ever get a better rate on this particular cruise.

if Costa Rica requires a passport that's probably a HUGE consideration for DCL ... we actually have someone in our group that can't get a passport, so if a passport becomes mandatory they would be forced to cancel the trip.

Originally posted by SandraLee
I don't think there will be any new ports, either. But, I would LOVE to know more about the excursions and prices. I am trying to do some research on other cruise lines excursions, but since I'm going to be on the FIRST dcl one, I'd like to know a bit more than the 90 days in advance I expect to hear.

Really, every time I think about it, I wonder what happened to my brain. Here I am spending $$$ on a cruise I nearly know nothing about! There should be new shows, new stops, all kinds of new stuff. I can't wait!!

Sandra, I am with you, I am just so excited to be going on this cruise! Sea days, port days, to me it does not make a difference. I really won't want to get off after 14 days! For those with small children, I can see your point about the large amount of sea days and the inevitable crowds at the Mickey Pool! I'm not too sure I would want to deal with that either for so many days. Without small kids in my party, I will just escape to my veranda for some quiet time. Although, I'm sure DCL is fully prepared with new programming for the children to keep them busy.:yo-yo:

I can't wait either!

Robin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter