• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Replacing our 18 year old A/C unit. Advice?

MightyMom

DIS Veteran
Tomorrow I will be scheduling 3 appointments for estimates to replace our 18 year old A/C unit.

We anticipate we will need a 3.5 ton unit for our 1800 square foot house.

I have done my homework in picking the 3 companies.... I know we can probably save money by going with a smaller company.... but I'm not comfortable with that.

Advice?
Suggestions??

And... if anyone can give me an idea on how much it will cost, I would appreciate it.

oh... also.... how long does it take for installation?? We are leaving to WDW on August 13th and I would like it done by then. Wishful thinking???

Installation is pretty fast nowadays. We just had our 15 year old unit replace. We got a 15 seer carrier unit for 6K. It included all the new piping and electrical box. My house is 3200 sq feet.
It took them about 6 hours from start to finish.
We went with a local company (we got quotes from 2 locals and sears). the important thing for us was longevity (how long company has been in business) because the warranty a lot of times is with the installer.

We are in the process of replacing a unit in a fixer upper house so we had to re-do the duct work and everything. Total for everything on a 5-ton, 16 seer heat pump system, installed was $11,590. We will get a $1500 tax credit and a $200 rebate from our local electric co-op for using a high efficiency unit. I'm totally jealous of eliza61...they told us it would take 2 weeks and it's been a month!!! Telling us we should have cold air on Tuesday...we'll see...;)

I had two quotes. All I wanted to do is go from a 2ton to a 3 ton. One company said it was about $3500. The other company said re-work ducking, electrical etc and wouldn't give me an exact number. They estimate between $4-7k. Summer is almost over so I will wait til winter when prices are cheaper.

Just a word of warning from someopne who knows way too well: DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO A GEOTHERMAL UNIT EVER!!! I know they are supposed to be eco friendly, but they are money pits! One of the best parts about selling this house eventually will be no more geo thermal!

If quiet is important to you, have the pad replaced with a composite version. We got rid of our concrete pad and the difference in the noise level is phenomenal -- we just can't hear the thing at all now.

(If only I could get my neighbor to have hers done. She has the LOUDEST compressor I've ever encountered.)

If quiet is important to you, have the pad replaced with a composite version. We got rid of our concrete pad and the difference in the noise level is phenomenal -- we just can't hear the thing at all now.

(If only I could get my neighbor to have hers done. She has the LOUDEST compressor I've ever encountered.)

Do you live in my neighborhood :-) Someone in the neighborhood has one that sounds like a jet engine every time it starts.

we have sears here right now as we speak lol replacing our unit! we went with sears getting a 3 ton unit (we have 2.5) and its costing us a little over $3000. we got a bunch of discounts like right now they have $325 off plus the $1500 tax rebate thing and there were 2 other discounts. it would have org. been over $4000! he is replacing the unit, our coil, and making our returns bigger. we have 12'' and he is making them 14". we have gone with sears to buy our dishwasher, garbage disposil, washer, dryer, and in feb. we are going to get a new stove.

Tomorrow I will be scheduling 3 appointments for estimates to replace our 18 year old A/C unit.

We anticipate we will need a 3.5 ton unit for our 1800 square foot house.

I have done my homework in picking the 3 companies.... I know we can probably save money by going with a smaller company.... but I'm not comfortable with that.

Advice?
Suggestions??

And... if anyone can give me an idea on how much it will cost, I would appreciate it.

oh... also.... how long does it take for installation?? We are leaving to WDW on August 13th and I would like it done by then. Wishful thinking???

Please be sure the new unit you pick does not use R-22 refrigerant, but instead has the newer R-410A (I think one of the major makers calls it Puron). R-22 is being phased out by the EPA, but some places may still be selling old units.

And don't let the seller talk you into a larger-ton unit than you really need. If it is too big it will be very inefficient. Experience speaks here :headache:. Just within a year's warranty, we had a system removed and had to fight for a refund. It not only did not meet the company's "guarantee" of at least 10% utility savings... we actually had higher electric bills for the time we had it!

Good luck!!:goodvibes

Well.... we picked a local company that has been servicing our area for over 40 years. It is a Lennox 3.5 ton unit 15 seer. They will be replacing our copper pipes leading into the house, putting in a new digital thermostat and replacing the concrete support outside with a different material.(??)

All together, parts and labor..... $ 4200.

How do ya'll think I did???

DH and I own an A/C and Heating Company. I think that you did great! That sounds like a very reasonable price.

DH and I own an A/C and Heating Company. I think that you did great! That sounds like a very reasonable price.

Thanks! that makes me feel a whole lot better. I didnt' have much to compare it to, so I wondered if I got a good deal.

It sounds like you got a very competitive price. We just had our a/c unit replaced with similar specs and our house is similiar in size and we paid $4500. We didn't get a digital thermostat or a new pad so good job!

Replacing your unit will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make. We replaced our ancient central air a few years ago and yes, it was expensive at the time, but I had no idea how much that old unit was costing us. The amount we saved the first year in electricity during the summer was huge! :thumbsup2

we have sears here right now as we speak lol replacing our unit! we went with sears getting a 3 ton unit (we have 2.5) and its costing us a little over $3000. we got a bunch of discounts like right now they have $325 off plus the $1500 tax rebate thing and there were 2 other discounts. it would have org. been over $4000! he is replacing the unit, our coil, and making our returns bigger. we have 12'' and he is making them 14". we have gone with sears to buy our dishwasher, garbage disposil, washer, dryer, and in feb. we are going to get a new stove.

I too need to replace our 16 yr. system. We have a forced hot air furnace, and the AC pan is leaking. We need a new coil, and bc of the EPA changes a new condenser. We were told this am that we don't qualify for the tax rebate as we are only replacing those items and not the furnace or AC blower. Is this true? :confused3

We need to replace everything. We need a new compressor and furnace and I cringe when I think of the cost.

Now is a good time to replace equipment, if you have to. Carrier is offering it's Cool Cash Rebates, your power co/gas co. is probably offering rebates and you have the Federal Income Tax credit of UP TO $1,500.00. Anyone who has R-22 equipment is going to have to replace their stuff sooner than later because of the EPA fazing out that equipment. I am not completely sure if you qualify for a rebate or not, I think it has to be at least 15 seer equipment youre are putting in and above a certain $ amount. I may be wrong, but I think that is the case. I would also advise going with a long established co. and purchasing an extended warranty (one repair pays for this expense). Check with the BBB before allowing anyone to do a changeout, it is free and I strongly recommend it. Good luck to all you guys!!

I too need to replace our 16 yr. system. We have a forced hot air furnace, and the AC pan is leaking. We need a new coil, and bc of the EPA changes a new condenser. We were told this am that we don't qualify for the tax rebate as we are only replacing those items and not the furnace or AC blower. Is this true? :confused3

That's most likely true. From the EPA/EnergyStar site:

The law does not require that you replace both your heating and air conditioning, but practically speaking you will probably have to replace both for the air conditioner to qualify.

Most central air conditioners (CACs) on the market today will only be able to qualify for the tax credit if you also replace the air moving device that pushes the cool air through the duct system (this "blower motor" is usually part of the furnace, but if you don't have a furnace it will be part of the air handler). Today's air conditioners need the added efficiency from a highly efficient blower motor (commonly an ECM, Electronically Commutated Motor, or another type of "advanced main air circulating fan") to reach the tax credit efficiency level.

If you recently replaced your furnace, check what kind of "blower motor" it has. If it has an advanced main circulating fan, then it's possible that a new air conditioner could qualify with this furnace.

Another factor to consider is that to get the required certification to prove your system qualifies for the tax credit, the equipment (both air conditioner and furnace) will need to be from the same manufacturer. This is because the systems (condenser, evaporator coil, and blower motor) have to be tested together and currently manufacturers are only testing and certifying their own equipment.

http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5833&p_created=1244838489&p_sid=GDQ8YsEj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=5833&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9NTgzMw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

We had a problem with ours last week and the ac company said R-22 will be available until 2030, so we could just fix ours and not replace it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter