Replacement Windows?????? update post 23

riley2008

DIS Veteran
After 10 years in our little home, we decided it was a great time to get something bigger (and a great time sell to a first time homebuyer!). Our house sold quickly - in less than a week, but we may have hurried onto this house a little too soon.

The house is only 11 years old, but they used the cheapest windows possible when it was built - single pane, aluminum. :sad2: The rest of the house has great insulation and when we checked average monthly utilities, it was about what we expected, but we're now thinking the previous owners never used the AC or heater. It's a brick home and you can stand 10 feet outside a living room window and still hear our TV on low volume. Needless to say, too, the windows are COLD. We live in south Texas and are experiencing an unusual cold few weeks, so I can only imagine the summer!

We are considering replacement windows. (We missed the existing homebuyer credit by ONE day, so maybe we could get the 30% tax credit for home windows - up to $1500.)

Has anyone had this done? Results? Done it yourself?(FIL is a retired homebuilder) Brand reccommendations or cautions?

We have Jeldwen, when we bought our house they had upgraded the windows so when we had our fire we were able to replace them with the good ones. We went w/Jeldwen because they were a little cheaper but the quality was the same, we haven't regretted it at all. Our windows rock! :) We got ours thru Home Depot.

We just did the Anderson Replacement windows and LOVE THEM! We are having one of the coldest winters we've had in a long time and both my DH and I have noticed that our heater is not coming on as much. We have oil heat and our oil consumption was noticebly down last year. Hoping for the same this year! Plus, my DS's room used to be cold in the winter. Now it's just fine.

Good luck!

Sitting here on my computer with a cold draft coming thru my window...it's only 15 degrees outside! We need new windows really bad as well. I'm subbing to get the ideas from fellow DISers. Thanks!

I am subbing as well...I just got DH to agree to replace our windows with our tax refund but now I am clueless as to what to get.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Jeldwen and Anderson windows get votes so far...thanks.

Anyone install them themselves? Other pros/cons, recommendations?

Thanks,

We have Jeldwen, when we bought our house they had upgraded the windows so when we had our fire we were able to replace them with the good ones. We went w/Jeldwen because they were a little cheaper but the quality was the same, we haven't regretted it at all. Our windows rock! :) We got ours thru Home Depot.

My brother makes windows at Jeldwen.. I will be replacing mine with them this coming spring. :thumbsup2 My windows are terrible! We just replaced our door with a Jeldwen one too.

I did Pella windows from Lowes in our house. Much better than the single pane / storm windows we had in our house. If you are at all handy you can easily do them yourself. Taking out the old windows is just a matter of removing some trim and either unscrewing the sides or pulling a few nails. The new windows are installed by just placing the window in the opening, screwing in the sides putting some spray in foam around the window and replacing the trim. It takes me less than an hour per window to do. There are tons of videos and instructions on the internet that can show you how to replace them yourself. If you are not sure about it then just start with one window. About the only windows I would suggest you have installed is if you have a bay/bow window. You need to tie them into supports or brace them underneath.

Keith

My dream is to replace our horrible windows. They are single-pane aluminum that rattle when large trucks go by. In the winter, they are drafty and they drip with condensation so badly that I have to mop the window ledges every morning with an old towel. :headache:

My DH says that we can't afford to replace them because we keep going to Disney every year! :eek: Can't a girl do both? ;)

We did renewal by Anderson a couple years ago. They are top of the line and they are built exactly to your window size (we have a lot of odd sized windows). They are wonderful!! Definitely better than the cheap builders windows we had before, but they are expensive!!

Jeldwen and Anderson windows get votes so far...thanks.

Anyone install them themselves? Other pros/cons, recommendations?

Thanks,

Ours were installed by our contractor so I have no idea about installing them. Sorry. :)

My brother makes windows at Jeldwen.. I will be replacing mine with them this coming spring. :thumbsup2 My windows are terrible! We just replaced our door with a Jeldwen one too.

Cool!! :) We have a slider that's Jeldwen too, the only complaint I would have is that we have dogs, the dog door is in the slider and one of the dogs ran into the screen (no he's very smart, he's also afraid of our hardwood floors LOL) and the screen got all bent out of shape. So we had to try to find a replacement, no go, they aren't available unless you buy the whole door....obviously we don't need the whole door.....LOL And yes, that's what Jeldwen told us when I emailed them asking where we could get one. That's the only complaint tho, we just bought a generic screen and use that instead of the one that came with it.

We have to replace our windows DESPERATELY this year....Our home was built in '89 and we bought it in 2000.... the windows are Andersen, but they are all wood framed. The bigger problem??? The idiot builders put the heat vents directly below each window of the house :confused3:eek::rolleyes1 Sooooooooo.... when it's cold outside, the window gets covered in condensation which then drips down onto the wood... which then causes mold to grow. :sad2::sad2: I bleach them weekly to keep it at bay, but this is the worst winter yet with the mold.... I went them OUT!!!! I want aluminum or vinyl.... DH wants to go either Pella or Andersen. He'll most likely do it himself as well... just need to get the $$$$ to do it.

Do the new windows keep sound out any better? We're looking at getting new windows in the next few months and we have noisy neighbor dogs so I'm looking for the ones with the most sound proof.

Over the next few weeks we're going to get some estimates for the windows with and without installation. Also, just found out a guy from our church contracts with two companies to do the installs! He said he'd do one window for us, walk us through the next and then be available if we ran into any problems. One problem is that we now have a two story house. Apparently some windows can just be replaced from the inside of the house....we'll see!

If anyone else has any input, I'd love to hear it. Right now we are looking at doing the replacement mid-March.

Thanks again!

Just a FYI. There are two types of windows you can buy. One type are called Replacment windows and the other type are called New Construction windows. If your window sills and casing around the window are rotten you will need new construction windows. These usually require the outside house siding around the window to be removed as well as all the moulding inside. They are installed by nailing them to the outside of the house under the siding. If you need these you are best to hire someone to do it.

Replacement windows are much more common. All replacement windows are installed from the inside of the house. This means you can do it on any floor without the need for ladders or scafolding. You basically remove some trim pieces and the sash's from your old window and screw these new windows in their place. If you can find someone to show you the first one or read up on it online it is a very doable project for even people fairly new to home construction projects.

Finally, as far as sizes go, almost any place that sells windows will sell you the right size window for your pre-existing opeining. They will ask you to take measurements in specific places and then build a window to fit the existing opening. Even places like Home Depot or Lowes will make custom size windows. The best part is that they are usually about the same price as the stock ones. The price is usually determined by the size of the window (length times width) and not by if it is a custom or stock size.

Keith

Yes, we're specifically looking at replacment windows - not new construction. I do hope it's as "easy" as is seems.;)

After 10 years in our little home, we decided it was a great time to get something bigger (and a great time sell to a first time homebuyer!). Our house sold quickly - in less than a week, but we may have hurried onto this house a little too soon.

The house is only 11 years old, but they used the cheapest windows possible when it was built - single pane, aluminum. :sad2: The rest of the house has great insulation and when we checked average monthly utilities, it was about what we expected, but we're now thinking the previous owners never used the AC or heater. It's a brick home and you can stand 10 feet outside a living room window and still hear our TV on low volume. Needless to say, too, the windows are COLD. We live in south Texas and are experiencing an unusual cold few weeks, so I can only imagine the summer!

We are considering replacement windows. (We missed the existing homebuyer credit by ONE day, so maybe we could get the 30% tax credit for home windows - up to $1500.)

Has anyone had this done? Results? Done it yourself?(FIL is a retired homebuilder) Brand reccommendations or cautions?

replacement versus new installs are a huge difference, both financially and how they look. Replacements go Inside your existing and if they are odd size/shapes that too can be an issue. They are also smaller and look different overall.....think a window inside another window frame area, they are just smaller, "replaced" versus, custom sized...as far as brands, Anderson or Pella are my choices.....we did Andersons including the french doors and have no regrets or issues with any. Lucky for me, the DH is an amazing handy guy and did all our windows and then we had it all sided ...such a good investment....cut down on oil and electric, easy maintenance...Youir FIL can sure help you out, even get you stuff at cost?? Usually regular contractors charge you 1/2 the price of the window for the install, depends, some go higher SO a 200 window costs 100 to install, 300 total PER, thats just an example not an actual cost...they vary ...........Good Luck! Hope it helped a drop...

Love looking at the plastic covering my windows for the winter.:headache:

We wanted to replace windows last fall but just did not have the money. It is going to cost us $2500 for the picture window alone.:scared1: We have Crestline windows and they do not last-don't get them.

We are going with Anderson windows when we get the money. Remember the tax credit is still good for 2010.

Take a look at Pella windowsat Lowes. We did a 4 foot by 8 foot picture window with two crank open side windows from them. It was only about $750 for the window. We had it delivered but installed it ourselves.

Keith

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter