Renting Questions

Sepley

Earning My Ears
I was reading the rent/trade faq and it brought up a couple of questions. It was mentioned that when renting points sometimes the final payment is escrowed until just before or upon arrival. Why would this be neccesary, if by this time the reservation is in the renters name? Wouldn't the renter be the only one who could cancel or change the ressie assuming it is in the renters name? Seems to me that this would just be added cost to the buyer or seller or both. And why wouldn't you just go ahead and pay the full ammount upon receipt of the resort confirmation accompanied by a telephone confirmation, instead of waiting what I have come to believe is the common practice of 30 to 60 days prior to arrival. It seems fair to me to just go ahead and pay the member for his/her points. Am i missing something?
And on a lighter note, I also read that pool hopping priveledges MAY not be extended to renters. How and when could you know for sure? I have a 4 year old and that would be a pretty neat thing to have.
Thanx in advance for any help,
Scott :)

The member who makes the reservation, even if he puts it in someone else's name, has the ability to cancel that reservation at any time up to the day of arrival; i.e, Member Services will cancel it upon his request regardless of whose name is on the ressie . As a result, having an escrow account is one way to protect the renter from improper action by the member. Rules say renters are not to get DVC privileges such as pool hopping. As a practicable matter that may not be enforced as the room key will likely say "DVC member" and that key is what you use for pool hopping.

Sepley,

The use of escrow accounts is just ONE of many ways the rental process is completed. It all depends on what the two parties work out between themselves.

I rented points last year for my trip this past Jan. When I was looking to rent the points I looked at the FAQ here and asked WebmasterDoc some questions. There has not been any reports of bad deals out of all the years he knew about. After the reservation was made I called and confirmed the reservation and then sent my payment in full to the person I rented my points from.

My biggest suggestion/tip is to just get all the details worked out BEFOREHAND so that there is nothing left up to chance.

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter