• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting Points vs. "Reservation needed"

auntie

<font color=darkorchid>It's a really lovely way to
Hi..not sure if this is the proper forum so please feel free to move it if needed.

Not a member. Interested in staying in either the BCV or the VWL this year.
I did post in Renting Forum about wanting a reservation for a particular week. I am curious after reading through the forum as to those posts that indicate that owners have "points to rent". Do DVC owners rent these points to people like me..or are they for other owners. If someome rents these points to someone who isn't an owner..how does that differ from a post where you want a reservation? The need a reservation would include the total number of points needed for that week...correct? I'm not finding to much of that available. If you purchase points do you do so until you have enough needed for your time frame and then make a reservation? I thought an owner had to make the reservation?:confused3
I'd appreciate any info regarding the procedure..I did read some of the sticky's..but honestly, I think I was more confused after reading them than before. Please excuse my ignorance:headache: ..trying to educate myself in regard to this so as to make the right choice for my family.

For the dates and places you are looking for, you need to find someone, anyone with 314 available to rent for that week in a 2 bedroom at BCV or VWL. They will charge you around $10-$12 a point to rent the week. So that will run you $3140.00 - $3768.00 for the week.

Once you agree on terms they will require you pay 1/2 down to make that reservation. Then the other half to be paid when agreed upon. It is only 4 months away now, to the middle of May, so you have to hope at this point if you can even get a room for that week. Since you are inside the 7 month booking window, the person you are renting from can have the points from anywhere, they do not even need to own at BCV or VWL.

Good Luck, I hope this helps!

The key is to find someone with that many points for rent and find them fast before that week is booked solid!

Please remember the above amounts and terms are what is usually about the norm. All terms will have to be made and agreed upon by both parties involved.

Thanks..I did just as you say..I did figure on the number of points I needed. My question really is...what is the difference between "a reservation needed"..and say someone who has "points for rent"..or IS there a difference?

I have found someone who had a reservation for a one bedroom for a week we were interested in..but we needed a two bedroom. So I guess that was out. That's what had me looking at some of the posts that were "points for rent"..and wondered what that was about. Most are not for great amounts, where as I figure one would have to rent these points from several people to be able to meet the total needed for a week. I wondered how one goes about doing that..how that reservation is made as compared to a reservation that is made by an owner who has ALL the points needed for your week, and may all ready have that reservation in their name? Do you purchase points here and there and the renter make the reservation themselves..I didn't think that was allowed?

I would say that a "reservation needed" is someone like you you looking to rent points.

"Points for rent" is a person offering to rent their points to you.

When you rent from someone, they make the reservation for you in your name. You don't actually make the reservation, they do.

PM some people with points available to rent and see what you can come up with. 314 points is alot. You may have to get 2 separate rentals and 2 separate ressies. 3 days at BCV from one and 4 days at BCV from the other....etc etc.

Reservation needed to me says "these are my dates I want to go and I want someone who already has the room I need booked"

Points for rent means that no reservation has been booked and the renter can book you anywhere if there is availability and they have the amount of points you need.

I would say that you will have a better chance contacting a renter that has the amount of points you need and have them check availability. The availability won't change from renter to renter. You just need to find someone with the amount of desired points.

I would say that a "reservation needed" is someone like you you looking to rent points.

"Points for rent" is a person offering to rent their points to you.
This explanation is correct. You'll find the definitions of the different categories in the sticky on "Posting Guidelines."

If you need a large number of points, the other posters gave you good advice -- you may need to look for someone with a LOT of points for rent (and they'd LOVE to talk to someone who needs 300+ points!), or get points from multiple sources.

I just want to make two quick points. First of all, every DVC owner is different. Some people want 100% up front and some will do 50/50 like TiggerMan2007 suggests. BUT I would not count on being able to only put 50% down. Secondly, not many people have more than 300 points to rent. You TiggerMan2007 is right that you may need to arrange two (or more) back-to-back reservations and have them "connected". Be aware that you may still need to move part way though your stay.

You can respond to the points for rent posts, but my understanding is that owners will get a LOT of hits fairly quickly on those posts, and will cherrypick who to respond to. Your best chance of success in responding is to not take the opportunity to try and get a bargain from the list price (maybe even offer a little more) and come across as easy to work with.

I just want to make two quick points. First of all, every DVC owner is different. Some people want 100% up front and some will do 50/50 like TiggerMan2007 suggests. BUT I would not count on being able to only put 50% down.

Please remember the above amounts and terms are what is usually about the norm. All terms will have to be made and agreed upon by both parties involved.

I did have a disclaimer...........lol:rotfl:

Good Luck Auntie......a lot of peole have offered some good advice, I hope it all works out for you!

I did have a disclaimer...........lol:rotfl:
:). I think that the norm is 100% and not 50% down, but that's opinion only. I have no hard facts. FWIW, the OP needs points for this May which is not all that far in the future.

Auntie:
(1) You may want to put the number of points you need in your title if you can under the posting rules. It may attract someone with a lot of points to get rid of.
(2) It would also be really worthwhile to respond to Points For Rent threads (PMs or emails) with folks that have a lot of points. I might even go back through the board past the few couple pages. You might find someone.
(3) While I agree with crisi about "cherry picking", using up points on ONE reservation v/s 2-5 reservations is a good thing. I would also not ignore posts that are a few points less than what you need. You might be able to sweet talk them into borrowing a few more points for you so they can get rid of all their points at once.

Good luck!

Yep - if you can find someone with a lot of points to rent, they'd very likely much rather do it in one bunch than make seven or eight reservations for five night stays at OKW in Value Season. That will work to your advantage in the cherry picking.

Also, its possible that people aren't responding because they don't think isn't likely to be availability at VWL or BCV in May this close to travel. So they don't even want to bother with the phone calls. If you post that you'll take "any" DVC resort (and you will take any DVC resort) but would prefer BCV or VWL you may have more success. It is more likely that there is room at OKW or SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter