• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting Points for wedding

skiqt323

Mouseketeer
Hello, I am from the wedding board and would like to rent at least one, quite possibly more, BCV, that sleep at least 6 people for my wedding. I have no idea how much this would cost or how about doing this. I am looking into September 2008. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi QT,
I'm a bit surprised that nobody replied to your inquiry, but I'll give it a shot.

First of all, a little DVC technical info. September is going to be very difficult to get BCV because of the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot. Most BCVers are going to be on the phone at precisely 11 months out trying to book rooms. BCV is a small resort, and the available rooms will go very quickly. So that means you need to have everything in place and be ready to book 11 months from your checkOUT date. (There's a thing called day-by-day booking, but I doubt you'll find an owner willing to go through all that trouble for a rental.) That means you need to have all your dates and lodging lists in place by October 2007. An easier option would be BWV, which is a much larger resort, but still has the same F&W issues.

Second -- DVC is a points-based timeshare program and the point cost for Friday and Saturday night stays is roughly double the rate for Sunday-Thursday. If you have Friday-Saturday needs, you'll probably find it less expensive to book through Disney CRO. That's a separate inventory of rooms, and I think you can book through CRO farther in advance (not sure-don't use CRO). If you are eligible for any discounts (AP, Florida resident, etc), you might find it easier and less expensive to book through CRO.

Third -- Renting a DVC ressie is NOTHING like making a hotel ressie. You are dealing strictly through a DVC owner, and the transactions are just between the two of you. That means the rental is governed by whatever policies that particular owner uses, and there are serious penalties/restrictions/constraints that may come into play if any of your plans change. DVC rentals are NOT something that you can just pick up the phone and change a date or two, or cancel because someone decided not to come. If there is an issue, don't expect Disney to jump in. You are renting from one of their competitors, and they have neither the inclination nor ability to help.

Fourth -- A DVC rental requires considerable trust on both sides. You need to do a considerable amount of homework -- first to understand how DVC and DVC rentals work, and then to establish a comfort level with the owner you are renting from.

Fifth -- Cost. At the top of this page, you will see a link to DVC point charts. Go there, go to your preferred resort, and click on the dates. From that, you can figure out the number of points required. Most DVC rentals range from $10-12 per point.

You might think that, with a big rental and therefore higher price you'd be an attractive customer and might get a lower price. Maybe not. The bigger the transaction, the greater the risk for the owner, and many owners don't have enough points to rent for a large transaction. That means you may have to rent from multiple owners and pay varying prices.

The best place to start with that is the DIS DVC Rent/Trade board FAQ. Read the stickies at the top carefully, especially the parts that talk about the process. Then, if you have questions -- and you will -- come back here and ask more detailed questions.

I have great confidence that others will come along and post some helpful links for you.

Good luck and happy hunting!

just my luck :( I have been looking to book through Disney and for 6 people for a week is over 8,000, which I think is just outrageous. I just wanted to stay with my bridal party all in one area, instead of separate rooms, now this doesn't look like this will happen.

just my luck :( I have been looking to book through Disney and for 6 people for a week is over 8,000, which I think is just outrageous. I just wanted to stay with my bridal party all in one area, instead of separate rooms, now this doesn't look like this will happen.
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but a BCV 2 bedroom, which sleeps 8, is 270 points for a week during September. Even at $12 per point, that's $3,240.

Six adults in a 2BR might be a bit cramped, but if you split the group up into 3 studios, which would sleep 6 comfortably, that's 312 points or $3,744 at $12 pp.

There are other options. And there are other DVC resorts where the points might be considerably lower and availability considerably better.

For example, an OKW 2 bedroom -- with a huge master suite with king-sized bed, enormous living/dining area and full kitchen, second bedroom with 2 queens, plus a queen-sized sleeper sofa would only be 243 points or $2,616 at $12 pp.

Don't give up; just take a deep breath and start researching.

Don't give up the ship just yet. I think JimMIA is in error.(Which actually never happens - Jim is pretty much right on the money in most cases, but I digress). The Food & Wine Fest is October/November. It only overlaps the very last days of September. If they follow the pattern of the last couple of years, you will only run into the Food & Wine Fest if your wedding is the weekend of Sept 28th. The other info is pretty much correct. Unless your wedding is physically at BCV or in the Crescent Lake area, you would get far more bang for your buck if you rented at OKW. (Not to mention some awesome location for pre-wedding pictures - the grounds are just beautiful).

thats great news, I am getting married sept. 20th 2008, hopefully not during the wine festival! Thanks for the help, Ill look into the okw!

The Food & Wine Fest is October/November. It only overlaps the very last days of September. If they follow the pattern of the last couple of years, you will only run into the Food & Wine Fest if your wedding is the weekend of Sept 28th.
Ooops! My bad! Mikesmom is right. This year, F&W starts on Sept 28 and goes through November 11. I haven't seen the 2008 dates posted yet, but they should be about the same.

thats great news, I am getting married sept. 20th 2008, hopefully not during the wine festival! Thanks for the help, Ill look into the okw!
Here's a link to Allears' excellent section on the DVC resorts. http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dvc.htm

On the left margin you'll see links to photos for each resort. Click the one that says "text links" and you can pick and choose which pictures you view instead of having to wade through the entire slide show.

I'm not sure what you are looking at, but a BCV 2 bedroom, which sleeps 8, is 270 points for a week during September. Even at $12 per point, that's $3,240.

Six adults in a 2BR might be a bit cramped, but if you split the group up into 3 studios, which would sleep 6 comfortably, that's 312 points or $3,744 at $12 pp.

There are other options. And there are other DVC resorts where the points might be considerably lower and availability considerably better.

For example, an OKW 2 bedroom -- with a huge master suite with king-sized bed, enormous living/dining area and full kitchen, second bedroom with 2 queens, plus a queen-sized sleeper sofa would only be 243 points or $2,616 at $12 pp.

Don't give up; just take a deep breath and start researching.

I think OP meant the Disney CRO (or Travel Company) price for 6 people is over 8000. If she is willing to stay at any of the WDW DVC properties in a 2-BDR, I think point rental will probably save some serious money. With her dates, BCV may even work out. However, since she wants to keep the party in the same location, I'm not sure I would recommend booking 3 separate studios because there is no guarantee that those studios will be in close proximity to each other when they check-in. If she reserved studios, they may be near each other, but they may not, depending on occupany on check-in day.

I think OP meant the Disney CRO (or Travel Company) price for 6 people is over 8000. If she is willing to stay at any of the WDW DVC properties in a 2-BDR, I think point rental will probably save some serious money. With her dates, BCV may even work out. However, since she wants to keep the party in the same location, I'm not sure I would recommend booking 3 separate studios because there is no guarantee that those studios will be in close proximity to each other when they check-in. If she reserved studios, they may be near each other, but they may not, depending on occupany on check-in day.
Right, I know that. I was just trying to give her a few examples of the variety of options that are out there. She'll need to look at all her options and see which fits her needs best.

You shouldn't have alot of trouble with availability diuring your time frame. I would recommend staying at either the BCV or BWV for your party of 12. You will have alot more options for dinner and entertainment. When I was young ,having alot of space in a hotel room was less important than being where the action is. At the Boardwalk you have Jellyrolls for nightime fun and all of Epcot World showcase for an evening stroll. With my family, the larger the group the more it is important to stay in a Epcot Resort in order to allow everyone to have more options and yet be together. The rooms are not as large as OKW but they are more than adequate. As for renting, make sure you check out the rent trade board . I f you decide to rent make sure you get alot of information from the person you are renting from like address, home phone and establish a relationship. If the person is evasive about giving you that security RENT FROM SOMEONE ELSE. I have rented from several people on this board and it always went smoothly but I knew their home addresses, phone numbers and checked them out. Once you book with them you can't change your mind or it will be up to the person you are renting from if they are able to do it and in most cases it will be no. Alot of DVC members
have rented before they bought because it is a huge savings over central reservations and the accomodations are very nice.

great, well hopefully I will be able to get a few rooms. I might now look into the OKW because I am going to need more space the morning of my wedding because it will be all the bridesmaids, me, the hair person, makeup person, photographer, and both my mom and the grooms mom. thank everyone so much for their help!

Not to mention some awesome location for pre-wedding pictures - the grounds are just beautiful.

YFI: Disney does not allow wedding pictures on their property unless they are taking them.

great, well hopefully I will be able to get a few rooms. I might now look into the OKW because I am going to need more space the morning of my wedding because it will be all the bridesmaids, me, the hair person, makeup person, photographer, and both my mom and the grooms mom. thank everyone so much for their help!

Definitely look into OKW then, as anything smaller you are going to be stepping on each other. The living area at OKW is huge compared to the other resorts with much more space between furniture.

JimMIA gave you some excellent advice. You just need to be aware of the fact that renting says you a lot of money but it also comes with risk. Doing your homework prior to renting can decrease the risk greatly.

YFI: Disney does not allow wedding pictures on their property unless they are taking them.

Disney allows outside photographers to take wedding pictures pretty much everywhere except in the magic kingdom.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help!

Another vote for OKW. My daughter just got married a month ago, and we rented a house on Cape Cod for the family (we are from CT, IA, and TX). We ended up doing much of what you're talking about the morning of the wedding, especially doing everyone's hair, and I know it could be managed more easily in OKW.

Happy wedding planning!

Disney allows outside photographers to take wedding pictures pretty much everywhere except in the magic kingdom.

I will chip in here - everwhere except the parks - wedding dresses can not be taken into the parks (although some people have snuck them in)...

We had our wedding at WDW in Oct/06 and have some great shots of the wedding group wandering around DTD. It was a lot of fun walking around in our tuxes, and on our last visit one of the cast members even remembered us because of that...

Oh and my personal suggestion would be Wilderness Lodge villas - we stayed at WL on our wedding/honeymoon and is our favorite resort (although we own at SSR and love it there also).

Enjoy your wedding

We had our wedding at WDW in Oct/06 and have some great shots of the wedding group wandering around DTD. It was a lot of fun walking around in our tuxes, and on our last visit one of the cast members even remembered us because of that...

Oh and my personal suggestion would be Wilderness Lodge villas - we stayed at WL on our wedding/honeymoon and is our favorite resort (although we own at SSR and love it there also).

Enjoy your wedding[/QUOTE]

Great I will check that one out also, they actually let you in now with your wedding dress to Epcot and MGM for certain locations, we are looking into having our reception in Epcot and the only thing we are not allowed to do is walk straight in the main entrance, we have to be taken in by towncar, but we are having an outside photographer, thanks for all the help!

Only if you are coordinating your wedding with Disney, which obviously you are. However at the time I posted my comment about photos, that had not been established.

So you are correct in that I should have said Disney does not allow wedding photos on thier property unless they are assisting with the wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter