• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

renting points for Grandma to come along

stormer

DIS Veteran
We usually go to Disney for 9 days in Aug. We use our points to get a 1 bedroom and my mother pays cash to get a studio (she is not a DVC member). We usually get her room using the summer discount 30-35% off. We have our 1 bedroom at Bay Lake booked, but Bay Lake is not included in the summer sale to book her studio. I was thinking of seeing if I could get it for her renting points through Davids. I have read up on the website, and I think I understand how it works, but I am curious if there are any obvious things I should know about that would be different than a cash reservation. I have never rented points before and don't know if it is a good move. My other choice might be to get her a room in the Garden Wing of the Contemporary using the summer sale, but that looks to only be 20% off so renting points would still be the better deal.

If you rent a reservation via David's website, it will be a DVC reservation. So the room would be subject to the same 'restrictions' that you are used to but she may not be aware of - cleaning every 4 days and not every day is the big one that most people get hung up on. It sounds like a good plan, to me, but you should probably make sure she's aware of the distinction between a 'regular' room and a DVC room.

That's true, I didn't think of the cleaning thing. She does like having the room cleaned, but to save $1800 hopefully she will be willing to deal with it. :duck:

Keep in mind DVC members also get a 25% discount on DVC rooms on cash reservations (subject to availability)-so if David's doesn't work out that's another possible option. You as the member would have to call member services to book though-we used this for BLT in May-saving between $600-700 for a 4 night stay

The big thing with renting points from David's (and from many DVC owners who rent points on their own) is that you cannot get a refund if you have to cancel and you cannot change your dates or the names on the reservation. So you would want to be sure of your dates and that your mother is certain that she wants to join you on this trip.

I don't have the points chart in front me of and don't know what availability looks like when you are going, but have you considered using your points to get a 2bedroom lockoff for as many days as you can, then you will just have to rent however many days you couldn't afford with your points? It may be cheaper than getting her a studio (depending on how the points break down per night and how many nights you can get from your available points) and this way you can guarantee she is close to you.

I don't have the points chart in front me of and don't know what availability looks like when you are going, but have you considered using your points to get a 2bedroom lockoff for as many days as you can, then you will just have to rent however many days you couldn't afford with your points? It may be cheaper than getting her a studio (depending on how the points break down per night and how many nights you can get from your available points) and this way you can guarantee she is close to you.

This is a good option for you. You can then use the 25% off member cash option also if it works, and you would be using less points for a 2 bedroom versus a one bedroom and a studio so should get closer to the 30-35% off that you were hoping to pay for the studio. Price it out both ways and see what you come up with.

Now if you prefer Grandma to be down the hall or on another floor, back to square one...

The other option is to look into getting a transfer from another member and then you can just book the 2 bedroom with those points and your points combined (providing there is availability). Or, just book her studio. The benefit to this over renting is you control the reservation. Since we are within 7 months from your stay, points from any resort would work, just have to be valid for August 2015 stays.

The other option is to look into getting a transfer from another member and then you can just book the 2 bedroom with those points and your points combined (providing there is availability). Or, just book her studio. The benefit to this over renting is you control the reservation. Since we are within 7 months from your stay, points from any resort would work, just have to be valid for August 2015 stays.
good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter