Renting points and business expense accounts

mkrober

Sandman
Has anyone rented points from another DVC member and then written off the rental/ or been reimbursed for the rental as business/ conference expenses? If so, how did you go about aquiring receipts for the rental? I am going in November and I will need to transfer points from another someone, but I would like to write off the rental as a conference expense.

i know I could get a members cash discount (25%) but I believe I would come out better if I rented points and transferred them into my account in order to reserve a room.

This really depends on how picky the company is. The person receivng the funds would hae to write a receipt (in this case, you).

I can tell you that as an auditor... it probably would be hard to get it buy me!! LOL!

I would speak to whomever approves your expenses first and make sure they are going to pay based on a receipt from an unknown person.

If you are doing this as a self employed expense, speak to whomever does your taxes about what you would need. However, it may be that you would need to issue a 1099 to the renter in this case which might might not make you popular there.

I thought about it on a few occasions and decided it wasn't worth the potential grief. I always thought someone, somewhere would raise an eyebrow.

I had never thought about it that way. We are self employed and so we never use our DVC points for business--always stay at a nice hotel where conference is going on. But it will be a question that I will ask my accountant. I guess if you had a signed contract from the person you rented your points from that stated the dates, monies paid it would work, and your itemized resort checkout it would work.
Paula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter