Renting motorized scooters at WDW

scubamouse

Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>My shoes match. I
I just got an email from my Dad. He needs to have foot surgery and probably won't be fully healed by our trip. He's asking what info there is on renting scooters in WDW. :( Do you rent them in the parks, at the resorts, from the start of your trip? Do you know how much they cost and if they are hard to learn how to operate?

TIA!

Excellent advice. I would rent one off site. In fact, I had to do that once myself, because of a temporary foot problem. When we arrived at our resort, the ECV was waiting for us. That way, he will have it all the time, and not just while at a park.

I can't remember the price, but it sure was nice. All I had to do was plug in, in my room at night so it would be charged and ready for the next day.

Enjoy.

I'd rent offsite too - there are limited numbers of ECVs at the parks to rent, and they seem very poplular. Also, the ones rented at the parks are for use only in that particular park - you can't take them out of the park. If you rent one offsite, you can have it for around the resort as well!

Check the DISability section on the DIS. They're the experts.

You can rent ECVs in the parks, but you return it to the park when you leave. So, if he can walk for a while, but not all day, it might be an option. I've seen people with rented scooters that didn't come from WDW, but no clue where they got them.

Disney has handicapped rooms, too. You might want to request one.

Word to the Wise: People in the parks are busy doing their own thing and don't notice the scooters much. It can take a long time to get where you are going when using one. I got in front of it once or twice to kind of clear space. :)

But it is totally do-able! Have a great trip!!!!!

we rented a scooter at the magic kindom it was 40.00 for the day and pretty fast and the very best part of it was we didnt have to wait in any lines you get to cut right to the front for about every ride it saved hours has we went during the busy season

You no longer get to cut in lines if on a EVC Disney has put a stop to this because of the abuse by some folks. You do get to wait on the side out of the sun while your fsmily gets in line. When they get to the front then you will go along with them. As stated above the cost is 40.00 a day plus a deposit which you get back when you return the EVC. If you are going to another park the same day keep your receite and you won't have to pay again. I would rent off site I am sure it is much cheaoer then Disney and you would have it all the time.

We were just there and I didn't notice this change. I think it is unfair for those who trully need the scotters are being penalized for the ones that are using it because they don't want to walk.

We have one rented for my mom for our trip the first week in October. We are renting from Scootarama. It's $25 a day, 3 day minimum. PM me after October 8 and I can let you know our experience.

Mickey said:
We were just there and I didn't notice this change. I think it is unfair for those who trully need the scotters are being penalized for the ones that are using it because they don't want to walk.
It's actually not a recent change.
AK and the Studio were built with accessible lines - these are called Mainstream Lines and people using wheelchairs and ECVs wait in the same lines with everyone else.
Newer attractions and renovated attractions at MK and Epcot have Mainstream Lines whenever they were able to change them. There are some lines that could not be made into Mainstream Access.
Here is information and a list of attractions with Mainstream Lines from the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities.
The Walt Disney World® Resort strives to provide mainstream access whenever possible; that is, all Guests utilize the main entrance to the attraction. However, accessibility varies from attraction to attraction within our Parks. The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities and Park Guidemaps use symbols to indicate boarding procedures for each attraction. In addition, Guests should contact a host or hostess at each attraction before entering.

Attractions providing mainstream queue access include:

Magic Kingdom® Park

Ariel's Grotto
Astro Orbiter
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Donald's Boat
Judge's Tent
Mickey's Country House
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Minnie's Country House
Pirates of the Caribbean
Space Mountain®
Splash Mountain®
Stitch's Great Escape!™
"The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management"
The Hall of Presidents
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway
Toontown Hall of Fame
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (seasonal)

Epcot®

FUTURE WORLD
Imagination!: All Attractions
Innoventions East
Innoventions West
Mission: SPACE
Test Track
The Seas with Nemo & Friends: All Attractions
The Land: All Attractions
Universe of Energy: "Ellen's Energy Adventure"
Wonders of Life: All Attractions (seasonal)

WORLD SHOWCASE
China: "Reflections of China"
France: "Impressions de France"
FriendShip Boats
Norway: Maelstrom
The American Adventure: "The American Adventure"

Disney-MGM Studios

Disney-MGM Studios Backlot Tour
Fantasmic!
Lights, Motors, Action!™ Extreme Stunt Show
Muppet*Vision 3D
Playhouse Disney - Live On Stage!
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith
Sounds Dangerous - Starring Drew Carey
Star Tours
The Great Movie Ride
The Magic of Disney Animation
"The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™"
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park

Caravan Stage: "Flights of Wonder"
DINOSAUR
Expedition Everest™
Grandmother Willow's Grove: "Pocahontas and Her forest friends"
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Kali River Rapids
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Lion King Theater: "Festival of the Lion King"
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Primeval Whirl
The Boneyard
TriceraTop Spin

I didn't think Splash Mountain had mainstream access - don't they have stairs at one point?

Mickey said:

Why would it be unfair for scooter users to wait in line like everyone else? Why would someone who rents a scooter (like I do when I go) thing they deserve to cut to the front of the line?

Schmeck said:
I didn't think Splash Mountain had mainstream access - don't they have stairs at one point?
They do have stairs at one point, so I'm not sure what Disney's criteria for Mainstream Access is, but it's not my list, it's theirs.
Obviously, those with wheelchairs or scooters have to bypass the stairs. Even though we bypass the stairs, we usually end up boarding about the same time as the people who were in line with us before we got to the stairs.

Last year at Disneyland I rented an ECV. There are some lines that are mainstreamed and I did not mind waiting in line. Those who were walking got a little disappointed but they got over it. There was far less grumbling from those standing in line too. Will have to check out the offsite rental sites for my trip to WDW. That could save some time and money.

I forgot to put-
If you follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES Board and then check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find a listing of the different ways to get ecvs and wheelchairs. You can rent from the parks, or we have a number of links to off-site places that rent ECVs and wheelchairs (companies that DIS posters have used and reported good experiences with many times).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter