• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting from an owner in the UK?

scotty1969

Earning My Ears
I am interested in a home that is owned by an owner in the UK. I'm a cautious person by nature and am a little worried about renting from someone outside the country. If i were to have any problems, I don't know how I'd ever get any money back from them. Anybody had any good or bad experiences with this? It seems as though a lot if not most are owned from people outside the country. I am supposed to send them a check for a lot of money and want to make sure everything is good. Thanks for any replies.

I haven't had any personal experience, but from reading these boards, it seems like a lot of the villa owners are in the U.K., so I don't think it should be an issue.

We had a very good experience. We rented a 4-bedroom pool house in Windsor Palms. I did all of the correspondences with the owner through e-mail, except for mailing the check. They have a management company that is available 24/7.

My parents also rented a townhouse in the same complex through a family in the UK. Again, no problems.

Dianne :thumbsup2

Thanks a lot! My gut feeling is that everything is o.k., but I just wanted to make sure before I put that check in the mail.

scotty1969
here on the dis we have uk home owners. I have been in contact with many home owners on the EI forum where we own our home. A lovely group of people.

Since I have been on this forum I have not heard many things that have left a bad taste in any ones mouth. As of yet I have not heard that any one has been out and out stolen any cash.

I so hope this is the same for you. Let us know how everything goes.

I've rented a few times in the WDW area. Every time the owner was from the UK. It is very common for that area, and I wouldn't let that waiver you in your decision.

I am based in the UK so of you want anything checking just ask .We don't have quite the same open information policy here as in the USA but I will do what I can .If you have gone through one of the site where the owners has to be verified to show they own the home then you are half way there anyway.

JANNYANS said:
I am based in the UK so of you want anything checking just ask .We don't have quite the same open information policy here as in the USA but I will do what I can .If you have gone through one of the site where the owners has to be verified to show they own the home then you are half way there anyway.

Exactly::yes::
www.orlandovillas.com
www.onlinefloridavillas.com
www.villasflorida.com

are all "owner verified" sites.

...and we've never had a problem either:)

HTH!!
:sunny:

Scotty:

We too are 1st time villa renters and have rented from a UK owner, but you can take some precautions.

If you know the address or the owners name, you can search the county assessor's website, for example Osceola County Assessor.

As the home is likely managed locally, the owner could provide the management company's name and you can also check that.

The home should also be licensed by the State of Florida as a resort dwelling and the owner should be able to provide you with a license number. This can also be checked by license number or owner or address at My Florida Portal Licensee Search.

We ended up wiring our deposit for the villa to a Kissimmee bank since UK owners typically have US expenses to pay (mortgage, utilities, property taxes, etc.).

Hope this is helpful.

I have rented several times through Orlando Vacation Rentals, and have never had a problem. Their owners are all British, but they are a US based company that handles everything on this end. Many owners employ local management companies, so you should never have any problems.

Thanks everyone for the help. I looked up the house at the county website (thanks logans_dad) and it came back to who I am renting from. Then I emailed the owners and got the management company's name and called and spoke to them also. I have already mailed the check to Scotland and we'll be down there in a month!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter