renting ecvs in the parks

TigerBear

Found him!
We plan on renting an ecv for my dad each day he will be in the parks (only four days). We considered renting off-site, but my dad is mobile (currently uses a cane on a daily basis)...there is just no way he can walk the distances required by a trip to the world. Renting at each park will save us problems with transporting the ecv each day (we are stying off-site).

What is it like to rent an ecv from the parks? I believe it is $30 a day plus a $10 deposit. What are the lines like when the park opens? Should we plan on getting to the parks before opening time in order to quicken the rental process? I have read that the parks often open 30 minutes early...is renting an ecv something that can be done in this time?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I have done both with ECV.

In the park they have a limited number of ECVs. The speed controls are set on slow and they have about a 300# limit. You have to have a $40 deposit. When you return the ECV, you will get a $10.00 cash refund.

If you change parks during the day, you show your same-day receipt at the next park and pay another $10.00 deposit, which again you get back when you leave.

HOWEVER - - They will not rent an ECV unless it is fully charged. Therefore, if you change parks in mid-day, there may not be one available.

On my last trip I rented an EVC from Walker Mobility. They delivered it to the hotel, and when I was done with it I left it with the hotel's Bell Services and they picked it up. The unit disassembles in under a minute to five pieces (including batteries), the heaviest is 39#. It easily fit in the car's trunk and I had it for all parks as well as Downtown Disney or anyplace else that I might have needed it. It only takes a couple of minutes to reassemble.

I also have some friends who rented from Walker; they did NOT have a rental car, but just about all the Disney buses are lift equipped. The only potential travel with an ECV at WDW is getting onto or off the smaller boats.

They also have "heavy duty" ECVs that will handle up to 375# at a higher price. You might want to look at their site at http://www.walkermobility.com for further informatio

About these little ECVS. Do you rent them for more then a day (like take them w/you??) or you rent them each day??
I have 5 days into the parks. We would go in the morning... but I want to make sure I get one. Do you suggest anything special before hand?

Im going to need one b/c I have *bad* legs and am under strict order of not a lot of walking (anywhere, not just DL).
I do walk in the stores and such here at home but I can really feel it in my hips and knees.

Rachel in Alaska<

We rented from Randys Mobility when we were there a couple of weeks ago. My dad and his friend needed the ECVs for 10 days. They paid $400 for both of them for 10 days. Renting them in the parks would have been $600. They come apart easily and put into your vehicle. When you're done for the day, you bring them into your hotel room (make sure you have ground floor room or elevator) and plug them in for the night so they are all charged up for the next day. We just called Randys when we checked into our hotel and they brought them over within the hour. They pick them up the day you're leaving also. It worked great for us.

Im looking for one in CA ;) I will be a WDL. Any places to rent there?

Rachel in Alaska<

Dawn, what kind of vehicle did you have to carry the ECVs in? It might be worth it to rent an ECV from an off site company just to be sure I have it when I need it.

When we were dow there last month, I had renterd a large Buick as we actually had TWO people who needed ECVs. I have a bad hip and one person from the other family had broken her ankle less than two weeks earlier.

We thought that we could do both in one car, but we could not. We went to the National lot and determined that we could use a SUV to fit both, but we had a total of six people and the SUVs could only seat five. The minivans similarly were only able to seat six with the back seat in.

If you only have one ECV to worry about, just about any full size four door sedan will work. If you have two ECVs, and five or fewer people, you should be able to use a large SUV or minivan with the back seat out.

The other option is what we ended up doing. The other family found that Disney Buses almost all had lifts and werre very good. The monorail works fine, as do the ferry boats. There may be problems with the yachts, depending on the water level. Also, sometimes they were able to get someone from Disney to provide a van. We were able to coordinate times when I would not need my ECV and I would take the other one in the car.

Hope this information helps

WDW Stays
AS – 3/98, 3/99
BC – 1/93
BWI – 1/97
Caribbean Beach – 11/89, 2/95, 1/97, 12/97, 12/98, 11-12/00, 2/01
Contemporary – 9-10/91, 9/92, 9/94, 5/95, 9/95, 8-9/96, 9/97, 9/98, 9/99, 12/99-1/00, 5-6/00, 8-9/00, (5/01), (11-12/01)
DI – 1-2/96
DxL – 7/93
OKW – 2/95
Plaza Hotels – 2/94, 1/96, 6/99, (8/01)
Poly – 1/94
PO – 6/93
SoG – 5/97
WL – 2/96
Off-Property (Other Than 1st Night) – 11/87, 2/93, 6/93, 7/93, 2/95, 2/95, 6/98, 12/00

Cheshire Figment is right. If you only have to rent one, you will be fine with a full sizecar.However, with two, we had to get a mini van. However, Dollar had rigged the van so the back seat could not be removed. So we folded the seat down toward the front of the van, and brought the ECVs in front first and rested them on the seat, with the back wheels on the floor. Side by side there was enough room and we put the seats that come off, on the middle seat. There were only two passengers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter