• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting DVC Points

Imagineer76

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

We are planning a trip to WDW this May (25-30) and we are wondering how everyone felt about renting DVC points? Would some of you mind sharing some good or bad experiences? If anyone has had a good experience maybe a recommendation of a member we could reach out to? We are a bit hesitant to go this route, but I feel we could stay at a nicer resort by doing so.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your time, it is much appreciated!

Troy

There is a Rent/Trade board in the DVC section of the boards. It contains a sticky & FAQ with lots of advice on renting, protecting yourself, etc.

Edited: In fairness, I should let you know that you are VERY late for making a DVC reservation - less than 4 months out. But, that week is probably not a terribly crowded one (oops - I see now Sammie pointed out that it's Memorial Day - I thought it was the week before) - fall and the holidays are worse, so you may be successful. DVC members can book 11 months out at our home resorts, and 7 months out at our non-home resorts and the majority do that. It's not really a good fit for last minute trips (even 4 months). So just FYI.

First off you need to realize most DVC members book their trips at 11 months and again at 7 months.

Since that is Memorial Day weekend, you might find it very hard to get someone to book a reservation for you at this point.

The main things to know are it is a private agreement between you and the DVC member, Disney will not get involved if there is any problem.

You will not get daily housekeeping or clean towels until your towel and trash day which is on the 4th day.

If you want the dining plan you will have to pay for it in advance of at least 24 hours before you arrive. The member will have to arrange this and you will have to work out payment for it with them.

The member will decide on payment options and most all do not allow for cancellations.

You will be emailed a copy of the reservation but any requests or changes will have to be made by the member. They own the reservation until you check in.

The best place to get info is on the DVC rent/trade forums here on the DIS.

as a DVC owner who has been both the renter and rentee, there is always a little bit of trust both ways. I've found that actually speaking with the party seems to help....good luck

I have rented points from a good buddy who is a DVC member for our last three trips. Never had any problems. Whenever we have had problems I just contacted him, he called member services and issues were taken care of. PP poster did mention about having to pay ahead of time for the dining plan, however my last trip in October this was not the case. I paid at check in just like previous years.

It's a great way to stay deluxe for about the price of a moderate if not value depending on the amount of points and price per point. Good Luck!!!!

PP poster did mention about having to pay ahead of time for the dining plan, however my last trip in October this was not the case. I paid at check in just like previous years.

That is new, for any reservation made after mid-October - must be paid for when reserving now.

Adding the Dining Plan now must be done 48 hours prior to check-in and the DVC Member must call to add and pay at that time.

Hi All,

We are planning a trip to WDW this May (25-30) and we are wondering how everyone felt about renting DVC points? Would some of you mind sharing some good or bad experiences? If anyone has had a good experience maybe a recommendation of a member we could reach out to? We are a bit hesitant to go this route, but I feel we could stay at a nicer resort by doing so.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your time, it is much appreciated!

Troy
Head over to the DVC boards....you will see an ad for David's DVC points rental. He may charge you a bit more for your points rental but it may be well worth it since there isn't that huge 'trust' issue. He's a known entity, rather than just a 'screen-name' on the internet.

DVC is a timeshare, so you do not get daily mousekeeping when booking through an owner. you may not get any sort of cancellation policy. studios except for OKW include 1 queen bed and 1 pullout sofabed - OKW studios have 2 queens.

as stated, the other thing about DVC being a timeshare is that owners often book early - 10-11 months in advance. if you start looking 3-4 months out, availability may be very limited.

it's getting a little dated but this thread is still a good place to start to learn more about renting from an owner:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1669863

as a renter...

i've had one great, and one... not so good experience. it does take trust on both sides, and hopefully there is availability for your timeframe. you need to make sure you have the funds ready. some renters only take money orders/official checks, and some only take paypal. some want all the money up front, and others have different stipulations. check out the dvc boards and good luck!

There is also a board where members can report availability by month, so you could get an idea if there are still rooms available when you want to travel:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168

We rented points for a Thanksgiving week trip a few years ago and it was perfect. As others have said, it requires an element of trust. Make sure that both parties understand the terms of the agreement and do what you can to verify that the person with whom you are dealing is on the up and up. In that regard, there are some good tips on the DVC boards.

I have one great experience renting thru the dis.
It was a bit different and the DVC member placed all their trust in me.
I took over an existing ressie on short notice and paid upon meeting them at the Disney resort

If you don't want to go direct to an owner you can use a broker. We used a DVC point broker for our last trip and had no problems with the broker or reservation and we would use the service again in the future.

The one time we tried it did not work out (we should have asked for references and didn't). We are renting for this year, but from a friend I work with so that there is no trust issue this time around.

Hi, we rented points for Thanksgiving 2010. We rented at 7 months out.

Once i found a renter willing to rent points to me:
First, I asked for references and called each reference and asked how their renting experience went. Then, I visited the orange county website to make sure there was a property deed in the name of the renter. Third, I made sure that i got all contact information - name, phone number, and address of the renter. Fourth, I used Paypal to pay for the rent. But, I sent money only after i had received a confirmation number from Walt Disney Travel company which i verified with Disney. The renter mailed me the confirmation letter once she had received it.

I chose a renter here on the disboards- making sure they had been a member of the disboards for several years, had a high post count, and researched their prior posts specifically looking for posts concerning previous point rentals.

The renter usually determines the timing of payment. I paid for 1/2 the rent immediately and the other 1/2 thirty days before my reservation. The renter allowed me to cancel up to 30 days out. I believe a renter has to use or lose their points once the reservation is within 30 days.

My experience was great- I paid half the price that i normally would have and the resort that we stayed at treated us as if i we were DVC owners.

The negatives are:
1)having to plan and commit to your vacation come rain or shine so far in advance of your vacation.

2)Worrying about a renter cancelling the reservation which they could do because they have complete control of the reservation.

3)DVC resorts don't quite have the amenities and convenience of regular resorts. However, i would rather stay at a DVC than a moderate:)

4)All DVC studios, except OKW have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa instead of 2 queen beds.

5) once the reservation is made you can't change your mind about where to stay because availability at other DVC resorts most likelywill not exist. Once i start fine tuning my iternary i discover that staying at a different resort than i originally intended makes the most since.

We are not planning to rent points for our next vacation because i just can't commit to the vacation at this time. When you make reservations through Disney (instead from a renter)you are only required to make a small down payment with the balance due 45 days before your vacation. And cancellation is accepted. I have considered renting through dvcrequest.com but payment is due upfront and there again i feel commited to the reservation.

We did not do the dining plan when we rented points. I have mixed feelings about the dining plan. Its great for not going over your budget but bad for the restrictions that it imposes on familys that have children over the age of 9. I think they need to at least allow families to decide at the time of purchase whether they want a child or adult dining plan regardless of age.:confused3

I am actually a DVC owner who has sold points on dozens of occassions. I have never had a problem as I offer a contract to be signed by both parties to ensure security. Never hesitate to ask the owner to supply you with one. It is a process that can be risky to not only the buyer but also the seller so I would imagine in most situations it works out for both parties. I have always had my buyers respond to me after their trip telling me about their overall experience and they have always been very pleased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter