Renting DVC Points Question

Porsche4

Mouseketeer
So I am trying to rent DVC points though a reputable company recommended by many forums. I want to stay at the new Disneyland Hotel DVC in a Deluxe Studio. The company says there is availability but they have to wait and find someone to buy points off. Has anyone had any experience with this process and have an idea how long this might take. I am thinking I should book some back up accommodation as our stay is for the first week of December which I know is popular and they may not be able to secure the points for us. I am also worried that by the time they do secure the points the availability will be gone. This is the first time I have tried this and I am really stressing out about the whole experience. Any input would be welcomed.

You might want to post your question on DVC rent/trade board (part of disboards).

Just my speculation: VDH is new and most owners will use their points for personal visits. After a few years, more owners will be renting out their points.

VDH does have a large number of Deluxe Studios, so it might be possible to book at 7-months.
The first weekend in December 7-8 is likely Candlelight, which can create high demand for villas. VGC is fully booked for December 7, all villa types at 11-months.

I have rented points 3 times and own resale at Boardwalk and direct at VDH. Since you are trying to get it at the 11 month window, the points have to come from someone who owns at VDH. Since it's a new property, there are not a lot of owners. At the 7 month window, someone who owns direct DVC but does not own at VDH could rent you the points. However, you have to wait for the 7 month window. It's possible there would be availability. I just looked at the first 4 weeks of July, which would be in the 7 month window. There wasn't a lot of availability, just a night or 2 here and there in studios. The first 2 weeks of December still show full availability, but you need an owner to rent that far out. I would definitely consider a backup plan.

EDIT: Also, since not a lot have sold, there isn't a lot that is considered part of the DVC. They can only release so much based upon how much has sold. The rest can be used as cash rentals. As more people buy, those cash rentals switch to DVC inventory.

I have rented points 3 times and own resale at Boardwalk and direct at VDH. Since you are trying to get it at the 11 month window, the points have to come from someone who owns at VDH. Since it's a new property, there are not a lot of owners. At the 7 month window, someone who owns direct DVC but does not own at VDH could rent you the points. However, you have to wait for the 7 month window. It's possible there would be availability. I just looked at the first 4 weeks of July, which would be in the 7 month window. There wasn't a lot of availability, just a night or 2 here and there in studios. The first 2 weeks of December still show full availability, but you need an owner to rent that far out. I would definitely consider a backup plan.

EDIT: Also, since not a lot have sold, there isn't a lot that is considered part of the DVC. They can only release so much based upon how much has sold. The rest can be used as cash rentals. As more people buy, those cash rentals switch to DVC inventory.
Thanks you so much for the explanation. I didn't understand the 11 month versus the 7 month rule, that explains why they can't fulfil my request right now. I wish they would have explained that to me earlier, oh well my fault I guess for not looking into it well enough. I guess I will look for an alternative but I did so have my heart set on staying at the Disneyland Hotel. Unfortunately as I am an Aussie and the exchange rate is terrible at the moment staying in a hotel room there is just way out of budget. Thanks again for your input.

This happened to me as well this week. I opted not to wait and went with another company that did have the points on hand. I wish they had told me they did not have the points before my booking day. It cost us staying there the first night of our trip as it sold out the morning it opened while we were scrambling.

So I am trying to rent DVC points though a reputable company recommended by many forums. I want to stay at the new Disneyland Hotel DVC in a Deluxe Studio. The company says there is availability but they have to wait and find someone to buy points off. Has anyone had any experience with this process and have an idea how long this might take. I am thinking I should book some back up accommodation as our stay is for the first week of December which I know is popular and they may not be able to secure the points for us. I am also worried that by the time they do secure the points the availability will be gone. This is the first time I have tried this and I am really stressing out about the whole experience. Any input would be welcomed.
The reputable websites will cost you ~20% more. If you trust your own BS meter and vetting techniques, you can save big by going the private DVC rental route.

There are may trustworthy and reputable DIS Board renters. I won't use anyone but them now.

I have rented DVC points many times (through 2 reputable companies and from an individual through this site's DVC rental forum). Home park is Disneyland and have spent considerable time researching the DVC rental/purchase space for Disneyland Hotel.

The biggest issue is that the number of people who have purchased points for this resort (who can book at 11 months) is very low relative to other Disney resorts. This is because the resort is incredibly new, and also likely because the purchase price per point is very high (Disney has even had to pass on costs from the City of Anaheim that have made this resort even more expensive to buy into). Another issue is that people who HAVE bought points here despite the high price and thus can book at 11 months are more likely to be people who want to stay there and use their points vs. rent them out. In a year or two the resort points will be better sold and there will be more people who are opting to rent them out.

Important to note - renting from a private person on this site doesn't really fix this problem. Every reputable company will have PLENTY of points to use at 7 months since they can use anyone's points at all to book it. You will save money going through someone privately here, but there won't be a "points available" advantage, if that makes sense.

Overall, renting DVC can be stressful! I've been stressed many times, but have taken that on in order to save all the $$$ that comes from it. You can always book a routine hotel if the plan falls through at 7 months. Grand Californian would be even harder to get than VDH b/c of the lack of DVC rooms there, so I would wait until 7 months and then book an off-property hotel if all else fails (might monitor prices and pull the trigger before then if the rates are only going to go up, but make sure it is refundable in case you get the reservation at VDH).

As to the comment about Candlelight - Disneyland does not have a Candlelight Processional like WDW, so that won't be an issue; Disneyland is popular in December regardless though.

Last edited:
I have rented DVC points many times (through 2 reputable companies and from an individual through this site's DVC rental forum). Home park is Disneyland and have spent considerable time researching the DVC rental/purchase space for Disneyland Hotel.

The biggest issue is that the number of people who have purchased points for this resort (who can book at 11 months) is very low relative to other Disney resorts. This is because the resort is incredibly new, and also likely because the purchase price per point is very high (Disney has even had to pass on costs from the City of Anaheim that have made this resort even more expensive to buy into). Another issue is that people who HAVE bought points here despite the high price and thus can book at 11 months are more likely to be people who want to stay there and use their points vs. rent them out. In a year or two the resort points will be better sold and there will be more people who are opting to rent them out.

Important to note - renting from a private person on this site doesn't really fix this problem. Every reputable company will have PLENTY of points to use at 7 months since they can use anyone's points at all to book it. You will save money going through someone privately here, but there won't be a "points available" advantage, if that makes sense.

Overall, renting DVC can be stressful! I've been stressed many times, but have taken that on in order to save all the $$$ that comes from it. You can always book a routine hotel if the plan falls through at 7 months. Grand Californian would be even harder to get than VDH b/c of the lack of DVC rooms there, so I would wait until 7 months and then book an off-property hotel if all else fails (might monitor prices and pull the trigger before then if the rates are only going to go up, but make sure it is refundable in case you get the reservation at VDH).

As to the comment about Candlelight - Disneyland does not have a Candlelight Processional like WDW, so that won't be an issue; Disneyland is popular in December regardless though.
Thanks for such a detailed answer it helps me to understand the process better. I don't want to rent points from an individual, I think that is just too risky, no disrespect to those on this forum who are honest renters. I have actually gone ahead and made a refundable reservation for the Disneyland Hotel as a backup. I have got an agent working for me so if a discount comes out she can apply it to my booking and make it all a little easier on my purse. I am still hopeful that perhaps something will come through at the 7 month mark but at least I feel a little more at ease now that I have a reservation in place just in case. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

I can’t speak on the ins and outs of renting points or if/how the event would have an effect, but did just want to note Disneyland does have an annual Candlelight Processional.

To add to someone who did note that there is a Candlelight Processional. It is the first weekend of December. There are 2 shows each on Saturday and Sunday evenings. This past year the narrator was Brie Larson. First time I have ever got to fully experience it. It truly is beautiful.

To add to someone who did note that there is a Candlelight Processional. It is the first weekend of December. There are 2 shows each on Saturday and Sunday evenings. This past year the narrator was Brie Larson. First time I have ever got to fully experience it. It truly is beautiful.
Could you please tell me what the crowds were like at DL on the night you were there. I don't want to experience the Candlelight Processional but I was wondering if it affects the crowd levels and ride wait times in the park on that day/night. Thanks

Could you please tell me what the crowds were like at DL on the night you were there. I don't want to experience the Candlelight Processional but I was wondering if it affects the crowd levels and ride wait times in the park on that day/night. Thanks

We were there and didn't.notice a difference personally. We avoided the Main Street area is all and went behind the shops to leave and pop over to DCA. I've been this night the past two years and didn't notice a difference either year anywhere besides Main Street it crowd levels.

Actually not too bad for the rides. I started that day at DCA and then hopped over maybe around noon. I got a lot done and soaked up a lot of the Christmas cheer. It is neat that before the first show that they have all the choir members start back by Small World and march and sing their carols to the stage. It is definitely amazing to just see that. I believe that was around 4:45 or 5ish. But basically as long as you stay out of the town square area, you will really not realize that the processional is going on.

Actually not too bad for the rides. I started that day at DCA and then hopped over maybe around noon. I got a lot done and soaked up a lot of the Christmas cheer. It is neat that before the first show that they have all the choir members start back by Small World and march and sing their carols to the stage. It is definitely amazing to just see that. I believe that was around 4:45 or 5ish. But basically as long as you stay out of the town square area, you will really not realize that the processional is going on.
Oh thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that the event will be on the second weekend we will be staying (30 Nov to 9 Dec). We have park tickets for 7 days as we intend to just take our time and enjoy all the parks have to offer for the holiday season and we are going to have a couple of non park days. It might be fun to watch them march through the park.

7 Months out is mid August now.....I booked 1 bedroom at Grand Cali for end of July at 7 months and the VDH studio at 7 months for the last two weeks of july were wide open and easy too book. There are sooo many studios there. It was our first choice but family of 5 and needed 1 bedroom which there are so few at VDH sadly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter