• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting DVC points from other members

Tigger007

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever done this? I am 20 points short for Easter 2004, and am considering renting the shortfall. I'm not quite sure how this works, and would like some guidance!

Hi Tigger! :wave: Welcome to the UK DIS boards.

Have you checked out the FAQs on the US DIS DVC boards here? These might help answer some of the questions about renting points.

We don't have our own UK version of the rent/trade board as there wouldn't be enough traffic to keep it viable, but obviously it would be much simpler if UK members could rent to others in the UK.

I hope you find someone here who might be able to help you out for next year :teeth:

Tigger, I'm not sure what room type you have, but it may be simpler to rent enough points for one,two three nights rental and allow the member to make the booking for you, instead of transfering points into your account ( I'm not even sure how that would work). I'm certain the two bookings could be linked so you have one contunuous booking in the same unit if that was what you wanted.

I don't know if you've thought of this, but at Easter the parks are going to be heaving, if you did decide to pay cash for a stay somewhere, staying at one of the Universal hotels for the weekend would give you front of the line access to the big rides at USF and IOA, I know it hurts paying cash for rooms these days LOL, but at a peak time it might be worth the extra cost to give yourself that extra access in the Universal parks (if you planned visiting them). A two night stay at Universal ( particularly at the weekend) might cost you $300-350 but if it frees up a weekends worth of points that's probably better value than paying $10 per point for DVC points and it gives you that extra privilage in the Universal parks JMHO.

Tigger

Have you seen Markybill's posting further down this site, you may have to search back about 60 days. He was offering points for rent and he is in the UK, which would be much easier than renting from the US site. Making the money transfer to someone in the US is a bit of a pain and there is an additional cost added on by the bank.

We have rented points in the past and have had no problems, although always remember there is a risk since the deal is done on complete trust.

We have rented points and had the lender make the reservation in our name and also we have had points tranfered into our points account. Both options were straight forward although the later invloved a 3way conference call with members services. This option is safer for you as once the points have been transfered they are yours. If the other member makes the booking for you and you have paid him for the points there is nothing stopping him from cancelling it again and keeping the dosh. However, I would like to think ( and up to now have found) all DVC members good, honest and genuine.

jools

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter