Renting DVC points Davids vs. others???

If you are talking about this Dec, you may already be out-of-luck finding someone to rent from. You are talking about three of the four busiest weeks of the year for DVC.

If you are talking about this Dec, you may already be out-of-luck finding someone to rent from. You are talking about three of the four busiest weeks of the year for DVC.
Thanks for the reply but I guess it didn't really answer my question. Taking availability out of the mix are there any differences in the rental sites just in case not for this trip but for the next one

Thanks for the reply but I guess it didn't really answer my question. Taking availability out of the mix are there any differences in the rental sites just in case not for this trip but for the next one
The differences are really just in what points they have available (if you need the 11-month advantage), and their terms for deposits and paid in full dates.

David is a sponsor on the DIS. It wouldn't be ethical to talk about others when he is paying to use the DIS.

The advantage of using a private owner vs a broker is that first, it's a bit cheaper ($12-14/pt vs. $15-16/pt), but more important, a private owner can be more flexible.

My standard contract includes a provision to change reservation dates based on the UY of the points within reason and subject to availability. You won't get that from a broker. I'll work with a renter.

The Timeshare Store, also a DISboards sponsor, also rents reservations.

Last edited:
David is a sponsor on the DIS. It wouldn't be ethical to talk about others when he is paying to use the DIS.

I did not think that sponsorship meant censorship of other recommendations. It doesn't for brokers.

Thank you Kat I wouldn't have thought so either. David's is a sponsor of the webpage not the people using it. That's like saying we couldn't talk about other rental car codes and discounts because Avis is up there right now.

Ziravan, thank you for the info and I do understand that renting through a broker means I am locked in, I guess it is kind of like priceline name our own price which I have done on rental cars when I went to Disney in the past and luckily it worked out great and I saved a bunch. I do see your point about renting from someone direct but I guess being new with all of this I felt a little more comfortable renting through a company that handled everything for me. Maybe next time I go I will have more knowledge of renting direct but I still feel like I got a good deal. I was able to get 3 nights in the savannah view at animal kingdom for the 3rd week in December which a lot of people told me I would probably have no chance at getting. The rest of the trip we will be staying in Coronado with the free dining plan. This way my kids get to stay at a place we probably never would afford and I am sure will love at a fraction of the cost of the hotel.

What happened to the rental page? Can you no longer rent from owners on here?

What happened to the rental page? Can you no longer rent from owners on here?
You have to be logged in to the DIS to see the Rent/Trade board. Since you had to log in to post your reply, you should be able to see it now.

Do be aware that while a private owner MAY be more flexible (it depends on the owner) DVC rentals in general are not very flexible. Its a huge savings, but you should view it as final. If you have to cancel, its likely you will not see your money back. Its possible with a private rental that if the owner can sublet your reservation, but don't count on it, particularly if you cancel less than 30 days out due to something like illness.

Do be aware that while a private owner MAY be more flexible (it depends on the owner) DVC rentals in general are not very flexible. Its a huge savings, but you should view it as final. If you have to cancel, its likely you will not see your money back. Its possible with a private rental that if the owner can sublet your reservation, but don't count on it, particularly if you cancel less than 30 days out due to something like illness.
This is what I put in my contract:

"Cancellation and Refunds:
Funds received for the purpose of renting DVC points for a reservation are non- refundable. Once bought, these points belong exclusively to Tenant and must be used on or before XXX 31, 2016.

Tenant will be held to the same terms as a DVC member for cancellation (i.e. cancellation on the day of arrival will forfeit the rented points and reservation to Disney, cancellation within the last 30 days will put the points into a holding account (where the tenant will have 60 days to attempt to reschedule the reservation or forfeit the points to Disney), cancellation at 31 days or greater from the reservation's original date of arrival, allows the tenant to attempt to reschedule the reservation, pending room availability, with the points, anytime prior to their expiration on XXX 31, 2016.

Tenant may request, and DVC member will make reasonable attempts, to make reservation changes as directed by the tenant, within the limitations noted above. Tenant should be aware that this might not be possible because of limited room availability. "

I've had very little problem with this. If someone wanted to make multiple changes, or bug me to jump right this second on a rare reservation that just popped up, I'd likely not consider that reasonable. But, when plans change and someone now needs a new plan: that's something I can do that a broker won't.

Just for clarity: I'm not currently in the market to rent and probably won't rent out again for at least a year...

Thanks ziravan - that's about as flexible as it gets (I'd give yourself a +10 days or something to Disney's rules so you have time to act so you don't get yourself into "I tried to contact you at exactly 31 days and you didn't get back to me for two days"), and points out that while you are very flexible, DVC rentals at their most flexible really aren't as flexible as cash - and for someone budget constrained, that may be too much risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter