Renting DVC - Anyone Tried It?

So why wouldn't everyone rent?? What are the negatives? The deals seem too good to be true!

Because it takes more work/research, and is more complicated than just calling or searching online and making a ressie somewhere.

We've rented before and loved it. Now we are DVC members. It's important to learn the DVC points system and how it works before considering renting, though. It's takes more time and energy, but it's definitely worth it.

Although it can be a painless and simple process, there will ALWAYS be the element of risk. In addition to an unscrupulous owner that may cancel your reservation, there is also the possibility of an "honest" mistake. For example, if an owner falls behind on their annual dues, any reservations they have may be cancelled.

An owner assumes risk too. For example, if a renter decides to smoke in the room, the owner can (and probably will) be held responsible for the fines. Any damage to the room and DVC will come after the owner, not the renter. So the owner wants to be just as comfortable with who they are renting to as the renter who is doing the renting:upsidedow.

There is risk on both sides and that's why we always use a contract, to try to eliminate as much risk as possible and to have as much as possible in writing for both sides should something happen during the transactions or during the stay.

We rented points from a DVC owner off of the boards. We got a studio at SSR for $980.00 for a week in June 08. Saved a bunch! I had purchased an online book that had budget info and it had a web site to check to make sure the DVC owner had a property deed. You can do a free online search. I'm sure if you google the Orlando goverment offices or county offices you can find this site. We also had a contract similar to the one above and we paid through Paypal.

We have been DVC owners for many years and have rented out our points without using a contract, yes, alot of trust on both sides. I always say look at how long a person has been on these boards before you rent from them. If a person has just signed up I would be a little cautious.:cool1:

Depending on the season, I have found that a AAA discount is about the same cost as renting points - at SSR and OKW. A little more at BCV, etc.

I wouldn't do it just because I would feel totally out of control and it's worth the extra money to have my own reservation.

The biggest risk of renting from a DVC owner is that you may end up becoming one yourself:lmao:.

Thats exactly what happened to us!! We rented points Sept 2008 for our upcoming Dec 2009 trip (found owner to rent from early because of time of year we wanted to travel) and with all the research I did to find out about renting I fell in love with DVC :love:

Now we are proud owners ourselves :cloud9:

Renters beware......you could be next!!!:scared1:

BTW we needed 80 pts for 6 nights at AKV in Savana view room. At 10 per point, we spent $800. Quite a bargin vs $440 per night. Also, we have AAA and they couldn't compare in cost.

Also, be sure to check Disney's current promotions before you rent points. Particularly if you are looking at 1BR's and want to stay weekend nights, the "price premium" through CRO is a lot more modest than the "point premium" through DVC, and combined with some of the more aggressive discounts, Disney can be cheaper.

Here is an example. Under the current 35% off deal you can get a 1BR unit at Bay Lake Tower, with a lake view, for $2,709 from Disney, tax included, for the week of August 9th. The same week requires 298 points, so from an owner it would be $2,980 (though the feeding frenzy by owners pretty much has these nights completely out of DVC inventory---the resort opens on the 4th). Plus, Disney will let you cancel as late as five days prior to check in, with no penalty. An owner probably won't.

Naturally, Disney's discounts aren't always this good, and on other room categories it doesn't always work out so well. But, don't just assume that renting pionts is cheaper.

I rented points for OKW last year and it was wonderful. Our key card said
DVC on it and didn't differenciate between owner or guest of owner so we were able to take advantage of some of the DVC owner perks like free valet at the Deluxe Resorts. We valet parked at Wilderness Lodge and then took their boat to MK for the day. We went to the buffet at Beach Club and used valet service there as well. Of course this only benefits if you are driving or have a rental car!

Depending on the season, I have found that a AAA discount is about the same cost as renting points - at SSR and OKW. A little more at BCV, etc..
AAA with no other discounts? I would be interested in seeing those numbers if you don't mind posting. It would seem that there must be a heavy percentage of weekend days in there for that to be the case, but perhaps I'm missing something.

AAA with no other discounts? I would be interested in seeing those numbers if you don't mind posting. It would seem that there must be a heavy percentage of weekend days in there for that to be the case, but perhaps I'm missing something.

I'd like to see that too! I just switched from a room-only AAA discounted deluxed (Oct 09) ressie to a studio at SSR through a DVC rental and knocked $1200 off my trip!!

As for my renting experience, this is my first time. I'm a former owner (had to sell my contract last year) and love DVC. I was lucky enough to find a great person here on the boards to rent from. I liked that she was a regular DISer with 4,000+ posts. She's also a member at Mouseowner.com. She provided me with a list of references, which I emailed and all responded to me within 6 hours. She also had a contract ready to go. Once I finished with the references, I signed the contract and paid her paypal invoice. She'll send me the confirmation paperwork once it comes from Disney, but in the meantime, she sent me to http://www.mydisneyreservation.com/dvc where I could log on and see my reservation.

Our key card said DVC on it and didn't differenciate between owner or guest of owner
Just one word of warning. Technically, the owner is expected to tell Member Services if the person staying on those points is renting them, or if that person is a guest of the Member. The former are not extended any of the DVC-only perks, while the latter is. However, most DVCers who rent points quickly realize that their rentals are worth more if they "forget" to identify their renters as such.

Every once in a while, though, you'll rent from someone who does say that it's a rental, in which case you won't be eligible for the various little DVC perks.

And, for the sake of completeness: if you are staying on an exchange, you also are not extended those perks.

Every once in a while, though, you'll rent from someone who does say that it's a rental, in which case you won't be eligible for the various little DVC perks.

technically, renters (or even guests) would not be eligible for those perks anyway. now that more locations are requiring the DVC membership card and not merely a room key, it's important for renters to realize that having "DVC member" on their room key doesn't really mean anything.

Guests are eligible for some. For example, a reservation coded as guest is entitled to free internet service.

most of the dvc member replying have rented points.

It is fairly easy to do. have rented points and been the renter - so have done both.
\
As far as being cheated you do have to be carefully - when someone offers points for way lowered than the going rate - be aware.

that say really want to use my points - but right now (unemployed but retired) just not sure may be renting again.

there was a not nice member who was telling sad stories so member would rent to her for a low price, then she was turning around and rerenting the points for $12 - $14 per point - after she got them for $7 to $9 - this person was cheating everyone.:rolleyes1

if you want safety just rent from Disney - with DVC members there is a risk - but it is generally worth it.

that say if you are happy with the value resorts - just stick with Disney. DVC resorts will never be as cheap as value resorts

So why wouldn't everyone rent?? What are the negatives? The deals seem too good to be true!

The only negative for us is the cost of the park tickets -- I should say 'seeing' the actual cost of the tickets broken out. We save so much with AAA, that going with them makes more sense for us.

Renting points isn't difficult. The biggest downside is the cost. Look at some of the posted prices in this thread and it's still $166/nt for a studio at AKL and $425/nt for a 1br at BLT, plus they rip you off with surcharges like $100/wk for Magical Express, even if you drive in. You could get a 2br at Bonnet Creek for about $100/nt and it will be roomier and better furnished than most DVC rooms. There are at least half a dozen resorts in the WDW vicinity that will rent for as much as Bonnet Creek and be nicer than DVC. Magic comes at a premium anywhere on Disney property and DVC is no bargain.

Oh, and for the people who call no daily maid service a downside -- it is normal for weekly timeshare or condo rentals not to have daily maid service. That's because customers generally prefer it that way.

Renting points isn't difficult. The biggest downside is the cost. Look at some of the posted prices in this thread and it's still $166/nt for a studio at AKL and $425/nt for a 1br at BLT, plus they rip you off with surcharges like $100/wk for Magical Express, even if you drive in. ...

Rentals thru the DVC Rent/Trade Board will usually be well below those rates you quote ( typically they range from $9-13 per point) and there is no surcharge for ME with a rental from a DVC member. The amount charged by the member is the full payment.

Purseval does have a point. During most any time that kids are out of school, DVC is in "Magic Season"---a few weeks are higher, and a few weeks are lower. If you stay a full week (averaging out weekend/weekday differences), at $9/point (the low end of the range), a 2BR at OKW (among the least expensive resorts) is about $380 per night. That's not a terrible price, but it is 2-3X what you'd pay for an equivalently nice but non-Disney resort within 15 minutes of all the theme park parking lots.

But, as for the $100---I think s/he is thinking about the $95 nuisance fee that timeshare exchange inbounds are charged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter