Renting a Scooter

DebbiC

Earning My Ears
i had called for quotes from two of the major scooter rental places.
I was given two costs that were so far apart in price that the choice became easy. So I followed thru and made a reservation. A couple things have me worried a bit.
1. I never received a confirmation number verbally or via email. Is this common practice?
2. I am a week out from arriving in Orlando and I find today that my credit card was charged for the full amount of the rental. Is that a common practice ?

I have nothing stating I have a rental confirmed except for a $300 plus charge to my bank card. I called the company this afternoon and spoke to the same person who originally provided the quote. It was stated that they don't usually provide a confirmation, and that their policy is to charge for the rental a week prior to delivery. I was told the scooter would arrive within an hour of me arriving at the resort and phoning them, that I would then need to wait at bell services as to sign the paperwork, as they do not have an agreement with the Universal hotels to leave the scooter with bell services.

We are at Universal for a few days, then over to Disney for 10 days. So the drop off is at Universal and the pickup is at Disney. i just feel uneasy, has anyone had a similar experience ?

You don't say who you rented through. $300 is a lot of money so I'm not surprised you're concerned. The company I hired through last year took payment in full when I booked it - and didn't actually tell me it was non-refundable until after they'd taken payment, which I think is disgraceful. However, I did at least get a confirmation of payment an booking email from them.

Payment in full a week out is perfectly normal, so don't worry about that. As they've already taken the money and made arrangements for delivery, then I wouldn't worry about that, either. However, I would be bricking it if I hadn't received any confirmation of booking at all: how would I know whether it was all confirmed and I'd definitely have a scooter booked out to me otherwise? If they didn't send you an email receipt after taking the moey either, then again I'd be really annoyed about that.

I rented an EVC for the first time last week for our trip next month. I did enough research until I felt comfortable picking the company with the best reputation and reasonable rates. (Extra high or extra low rates are flags for me in any transaction.) Delivery is offsite so that was not a factor I considered but I too have to be present for delivery.

That said, I received an IMMEDIATE confirmation as well as an explanation that my card would be charged one week prior to delivering the unit. My total rental cost was also cheaper than $300. I am incredulous that you did not receive a confirmation via email or telephone. That's not the way to do business in this Digital Age IMHO.

I've booked an ECV with Walker Mobility and rented an ECV and a Stroller for that amount. I did the booking over the phone but received a confirmation through email almost immediately. They also said that the rental would be charged to my cc a day before arrival. If I were you I would demand that they send you a confirmation by email immediately. How are you going to prove you booked with them without any confirmation? The sticky at the top of these threads gives you various companies that are very reliable, I would've used one of those. Hope all goes well with you. HTH :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter