Renting a home

MizTink

DIS Veteran
is outrageous!! OMG, the prices are insane in my area :worried:
i have been searching for anything with 3 bedrooms and there is almost NOTHING under $1200/month. I know every area is different and this may even sound like a bargain to some, but WOW!!!!! even in the ghetto they aren't much cheaper, if at all.
so how is it in your area???

I rent a 3 bedroom apartment for $1260 per month. Houses with 3 bedrooms start around $1800, but most are around $2500.

I don't see how people can afford such high rental rates, wow!

They aren't nearly as high here. My FIL rented out his 3-bedroom ranch home next to us (after he re-married) for $450/month. Most homes and apartments around here are similar, with some going up to $600 or $700 but that's about as high as they go.

We've owned our home for 15 years, but back in the day, I paid almost $700 for my 2 room apartment, and DH and his 2 roommates payed $1200 for the 3 bedroom in a duplex in a not-so-nice area. Things are more expensive here now.

Well we own a rental property. It's a bungalow with almost 1100 sq ft. 2 bedroom, 1 bath on the top. We get $1200/mth for the top. The basement is 900 sq ft. 1 bedroom, 1 bath. We get $900/mth for the basement. We pay all the utilities but we a have a coin laundry room in the gargage for both tenants to use.

My best friend just told me that if she rented out her 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath condo, she would get $1500 a month. Housing prices here are always high. When we bought our house, one of the major arguments for purchasing was that the cost of renting a large 1 bedroom apt. was about the same as the mortgage payment on our 3 bedroom house. So, relatively speaking, not a lot has changed.

i don't know how people do it either!
most owners require income of at least 3 times the rent. that means if you rent a $1500/month house you would have to make a minimum of $28/hour!!!
CRAZY!!!
i did find a house that i really hate, actually cried when i accepted that i have no other options. it's super small, old, not so nice (but clean & bug free!), but it's what i can afford and in a decent area, sooo......we'll be moving in soon :)
i'm in school for the next 8 months so i have to stay in the area. even after school i probably won't be able to afford to keep living here.

They aren't nearly as high here. My FIL rented out his 3-bedroom ranch home next to us (after he re-married) for $450/month. Most homes and apartments around here are similar, with some going up to $600 or $700 but that's about as high as they go.

I need to move that is way less then I pay for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I think after reading this you will feel a lot better about the price your looking at than what DH and I paid the last 7 years for our DS for college.

A 1 bedroom in Boston $1295/month for 3 years (first year he was in a dorm which was more because of required meal plan etc).

A 1 bedroom....1 Year in Yokohama Japan (post grad) 3000+ month(+ depending on the dollar to yen each month...the dollar was awful the whole time he was there).

A 1 bedroom...1 Year in Tokyo $3500/month

and presently in California A 1 bedroom $3000/mo but no yen difference hooray for something.

These are all VERY small 1 bedroom apartments and we searched for months to get these "low" prices.

In any area the more searching you do the more likely you'll be able to find something affordable. In Japan we had to pay 2 different landlords "gift" money that they get to keep just for letting you rent their little box to live in...it was anywhere from 2 months to 6 months full rent. Plus first and last and security deposit. I actually tried Craigslist for the Boston Apartment, have you tried Craigslist in your area? If you go through a realtor you will most likely have to pay them a fee.

DH and I will be working until we are 90 until we can make up all this in our retirement accounts that we haven't been able to contribute to. I could cry thinking about all we've spent, a necessity but it hurts.

Good Luck with your search

I paid $1250 a month for my last apartment in Astoria queens and that was 7 years ago. It was a tiny one bedroom

DS rented out his house for $1500..............it is pretty large, 3 bedrooms, den, bonus room.........about 3000sf.

He rented it because houses are still not selling around here. The rent he is getting is less than his mortgage payment.

Why didn't he find a roommate? This generation ( my sister is in it) always want their own apartment. It was expensive when I was younger, I just shared it with 5 other girls so we could afford it.

Housing rentals are crazy but people are trying to protect their investment. Around here big homes ( 4 bedrooms 3 bath) go for around $2600. I tried renting a "cottage house" read closet house for that same sister. It was tiny, no a/c and it's on a farm, they wanted $2000 a month!

I think after reading this you will feel a lot better about the price your looking at than what DH and I paid the last 7 years for our DS for college.

A 1 bedroom in Boston $1295/month for 3 years (first year he was in a dorm which was more because of required meal plan etc).

A 1 bedroom....1 Year in Yokohama Japan (post grad) 3000+ month(+ depending on the dollar to yen each month...the dollar was awful the whole time he was there).

A 1 bedroom...1 Year in Tokyo $3500/month

and presently in California A 1 bedroom $3000/mo but no yen difference hooray for something.

These are all VERY small 1 bedroom apartments and we searched for months to get these "low" prices.

In any area the more searching you do the more likely you'll be able to find something affordable. In Japan we had to pay 2 different landlords "gift" money that they get to keep just for letting you rent their little box to live in...it was anywhere from 2 months to 6 months full rent. Plus first and last and security deposit. I actually tried Craigslist for the Boston Apartment, have you tried Craigslist in your area? If you go through a realtor you will most likely have to pay them a fee.

DH and I will be working until we are 90 until we can make up all this in our retirement accounts that we haven't been able to contribute to. I could cry thinking about all we've spent, a necessity but it hurts.

Good Luck with your search

We live in a townhome development and our rentals (75% are 2 bedrooms, the rest are 3 br, most have basements as well) are 1100 and up a month.

is outrageous!! OMG, the prices are insane in my area :worried:
i have been searching for anything with 3 bedrooms and there is almost NOTHING under $1200/month. I know every area is different and this may even sound like a bargain to some, but WOW!!!!! even in the ghetto they aren't much cheaper, if at all.
so how is it in your area???

You can barely rent a 2 bedroom apartment for 1200 a month here in my area.

Just keep in mind that any landlord is going to have to charge enough rent to cover his monthly mortgage, property taxes and insurance just to break even, nevermind the fact of having money for repairs and a little profit. Do you really think that anything less than $1200 would do that?

We are renting a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom 2,800 sq. ft. house for $2,000 a month. It is $300 over our BAH (the money the Coast Guard gives us for housing), and we've always been able to find something for well under. There was just nothing (not even much smaller, which I would have been fine with) near the schools we wanted that was with in our BAH. I think rent has really gone up recently in the area of Virginia we are moving to.
Oh well...at least I'll be closer to Disney! :)

Just keep in mind that any landlord is going to have to charge enough rent to cover his monthly mortgage, property taxes and insurance just to break even, nevermind the fact of having money for repairs and a little profit. Do you really think that anything less than $1200 would do that?

the house i'm renting was purchased 25 years ago for $40,000. the current value is only in the 60's. it's a true dump for $1000
i think the only reason the rent isn't more is because the owner is an older widow that probably doesn't realize she could get more, probably around $1200.
i realize prices are different in every area, but that doesn't make it any easier to pay! and this is definitely not an area that is known for good wages. quite the opposite actually. lots of minimum and just barely over minimum wage jobs and nowhere to live. this is a town for the wealthy and the lower income are being pushed out. they want them to work here, just not live here!!!

Where I live a nice 3 bedroom apartment in a good area will run $1800-$2200 a month.

By comparison, a small 1 bedroom in a lousy area of town with no parking will still rent for about $700-$800 a month.

There's a house behind mine that's a rental. Similar layout (4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath) and its rented for $3800 a month.

Rent estimate (according to zillow.com) on our house is $850/month.

Our mortgage is $720/month.

We have a 3br/1ba house with large fenced backyard, garage, and storage shed.

The Army is sending us to DC. We will be renting a 4 bedroom 1950's house that needs some updating for $3100/month (BAH is $3020). My friends found a much smaller "cheaper" house in the same area for $2750/month. It KILLS me to pay that much in rent even if the Army is paying most of it. Only 10 years ago, we were renting a 3 bedroom house in Tulsa for $600/month.

We've owned our home for 15 years, but back in the day, I paid almost $700 for my 2 room apartment, and DH and his 2 roommates payed $1200 for the 3 bedroom in a duplex in a not-so-nice area. Things are more expensive here now.

Well we own a rental property. It's a bungalow with almost 1100 sq ft. 2 bedroom, 1 bath on the top. We get $1200/mth for the top. The basement is 900 sq ft. 1 bedroom, 1 bath. We get $900/mth for the basement. We pay all the utilities but we a have a coin laundry room in the gargage for both tenants to use.

My best friend just told me that if she rented out her 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath condo, she would get $1500 a month. Housing prices here are always high. When we bought our house, one of the major arguments for purchasing was that the cost of renting a large 1 bedroom apt. was about the same as the mortgage payment on our 3 bedroom house. So, relatively speaking, not a lot has changed.

DS rented out his house for $1500..............it is pretty large, 3 bedrooms, den, bonus room.........about 3000sf.

He rented it because houses are still not selling around here. The rent he is getting is less than his mortgage payment.

We are renting a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom 2,800 sq. ft. house for $2,000 a month. It is $300 over our BAH (the money the Coast Guard gives us for housing), and we've always been able to find something for well under. There was just nothing (not even much smaller, which I would have been fine with) near the schools we wanted that was with in our BAH. I think rent has really gone up recently in the area of Virginia we are moving to.
Oh well...at least I'll be closer to Disney! :)

the house i'm renting was purchased 25 years ago for $40,000. the current value is only in the 60's. it's a true dump for $1000
i think the only reason the rent isn't more is because the owner is an older widow that probably doesn't realize she could get more, probably around $1200.
i realize prices are different in every area, but that doesn't make it any easier to pay! and this is definitely not an area that is known for good wages. quite the opposite actually. lots of minimum and just barely over minimum wage jobs and nowhere to live. this is a town for the wealthy and the lower income are being pushed out. they want them to work here, just not live here!!!

Location location LOCATION!

That's the true barometer of housing costs... and not one of the people I quoted told their location!:lmao:

In the Atlanta area you can rent a home from $500 a month to $6000 a month depending on the location. My home rents for $1300, 2300 square feet, full finished basement, 3 br 2ba. I'm moving further out of the city and will get twice that for the same price.

In the 80s I rented an apartment in Bklyn Heights for $1050 a month that was less than 500 square feet. My niece's apt rented for $1700 on Madison ave and it was a studio with no rooms. It depends on the location so where are these places??? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter